“Great Afternoon”

Zwickl - Gastlichkeit am Viktualienmarkt
Ranked #21 of 3,703 Restaurants in Munich
Cuisines: German, European, Central European
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Great Afternoon”
Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here after walking around the Christmas and viktualien market for lunch. We started with pretzels and the house green mustard. Even the kids loved the combo. We then had lunch and shared among us. The best was the spinach and cheese dish, followed by the duck meatballs with pear ragout. I had the meatballs which everyone enjoyed too. It was a chilly but lovely experience sitting outside people watching. A great way to spend Christmas Eve lunch.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank K B

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great food and meatballs to die for”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We dined twice at this restaurant during our four night stay in Munich. Both meals were a delight. We had booked a table for our first night having read the recommendations on Trip Advisor and, after our meal, we reserved a table for two nights later. The owner and the staff were very accommodating. They all understood English and my lamentable attempts at German (rather like Dick Van Dyke's attempt at Cockney).

Our first meal began with a simple starter of bread with cheese and butter but it was very enjoyable. The main menu is always available but the house also does specials and on Mondays these are vegetarian; from this selection my partner chose the mushroom pasta which she said was probably the best pasta dish she has ever had. I had to try the classic pork and beef meatballs for which the restaurant is famous which were delicious. There was no doubt that we would be coming back whilst in Munich. Even the couple next to us who were Manchester City fans didn't detract from our experience (sorry, folks, if you are reading this; couldn't resist that! Your boys shouldn't have put six past us!)

On our second visit I had been saving myself for most of the day as I was going to try the three course meatball menu. My partner doesn't have as big an appetite as me so she began with some potato and truffle oil soup that she described as beautiful. I started off on chicken meatballs which you won't find anywhere else. For main course we both had the seasonal dish of duck meatballs which were delicious. I finished off with the classic meatballs again but my partner was full by this time. When I finished my last meatball...so was I. Three meatball courses are very filling and I would suggest that unless you have a healthy appetite you may struggle to get through it all, superb though they were.

The restaurant is situated in a courtyard and isn't a large establishment but it is very comfortable. All the tables were occupied and the German people enjoying drinks and meals were not loud and boisterous but knew how to behave in a restaurant. How I wish we experienced this in the UK.

Both visits to the restaurant were highly enjoyable. Delicious food, good beer and great value made for marvelous dining experiences and we are only too happy to recommend Zwickl Gastro GmbH to everyone.

1 Thank ILoveEurope67
“Lovely people serving lovely food”
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

The Zwickle is a lovely little restaurant. If u wanna enjoy a tasteful bayrish dinner in a modern location with a touch of pure tradition, then this restaurant is the right address! However, we highly recommand to reserve a table in advanced. The Zwickle is populare around locals as well as around tourists for its very nice food and friendly service at a really fair price level.

1 Thank Gourmet87
Ireland
“Excellent.”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Was there this evening, excellent restaurant and even better staff. The style of food, to me, is a style between Bavarian and Mediterranean cuisine.

1 Thank Mustseethat
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great food in a pleasant environment”
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Visited after reading the reviews and wasn't disappointed. Took the waitresses recommendation on the 3 meatball selections and they were all perfect. Highly recommend the duck meatballs. We hadn't booked and they were really accommodating we just had to come back 15min later which we did. Down a side street and could be missed if you don't seek out. Worth a visit.

1 Thank Louise H