“We loved this local wine bar”
Review of Wein Cantina - CLOSED

Wein Cantina
Cuisines: European, Diner, Contemporary, Wine Bar
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Jung, fresh, creative cooking... where dish and wine mesh perfectly. Come in and find out.
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is a fabulous wine bar and restaurant that is just steps away from the Marriott

We really enjoyed our time sampling local wines and the delicious food.
It is very obviously a local spot but a must visit for those tourist who are interested in more than just beer.

1  Thank d w

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We tried the 3 course set lunch on Saturday which we found to be excellent value for money. There is no choice but you can order a la carte if you wish to. Every course was well executed and presented and we enjoyed everything we ate, including the nice breads with oil, very much. Service was good, the accompanying wines were well matched with what we ate and the entire lunch was a pleasant experience. We now look forward to trying their dinner menu in the near future.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Wein Cantina is our 'fail safe' restaurant in an evening; having first visited 18 months ago we have been back 3 times, and will be back again. If you're worried about being disappointed when only going out for a nice evening once in Munich as a couple or small group, then go here and avoid the risk. I should add that I have absolutely no connection to the restaurant other than as a customer (I do wonder sometimes when I see photos which seem staged and over-enthusiastic reviews).

The service is prompt and friendly, the food very good, bordering on excellent, and neither over-complicated nor basic. The portions are fair (I'm not a small eater, and if I take 4 courses and my partner 3, we are pretty well fed at the end). The wines are appropriate for the food if you take the suggested pairings, and there is a decent choice if you want to choose by the glass or by the bottle. The only slight doubt would be that occasionally a pairing, while OK, seems to not be ideal due to a very unusual choice of wine - but that's really a close call personal view.
Where other restaurants do not have a menu selection, Wein Cantina has both a menu of variable course choice and a limited 'favourites' menu, so there is flexibility, which is very welcome. Some restaurants at this end of the quality scale simply have an unknown menu of varying course number - I don't like that lack of information when booking.

The price range is known from their website, and for what you get, in an atmosphere which is not loud or cramped and neither pompous nor scruffy - namely the predictability- excellent.

Be aware that one room is seated with chairs and one part (more suitable perhaps for wine tasting in a group of friends rather than as a couple) is with bar stools, but it must be said that the latter has a wonderful view to the choices available.

Friendly and 'correct', we wouldn't go back for multiple visits if it wasn't good.

2  Thank SchotteInBayern
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Especially the starters and desert were excellent.
The expectation level had risen a bit by the tasty and surprising starters so the main course was pretty OK but still a bit of a disappointment.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I was walking around my hotel looking for a lunch place and happend upon this place. Small winebar and restaurant. Specializes in German white wines, but not all of the selection. I had the set menu for lunch which is all they offer before dinner. Today it was a nice starter of greens and salmon, very nicely flavored with oil and herbs. For the second course I had a mixture of tender beef and wild mushrooms. Cannot describe how tasty this was. I passed on the dessert.