“Great hotel but you may feel out of place”

Sofitel Munich Bayerpost
Ranked #25 of 382 Hotels in Munich
Calgary
“Great hotel but you may feel out of place”
Reviewed May 27, 2010

We stayed at this hotel in April. Things I loved best were:
Location: Within a 10 minute walk to absolutely almost everything Munich has to offer
The bed: Absolutely so comfortable
The espresso makers in each room
The cleaniless of the hotel
Things I disliked were:
Rooms are basically stainless steel and have a "cold" feeling, not a cozy atmosphere
Front desk staff are quite "stuffy" - no sense of humor or smiles
You were charged internet fee after only 15 minutes of computer use, yet, their computers were extremely, extremely slow.
In general, this hotel is great if you're a 5 star, "give me a modern fancy hotel" person
We are definitely more laid back and usually choose hotels that are clean, yet offer a cozy atmosphere, as many European hotels do. We only chose this hotel as we had been traveling Europe for a month and thought we would treat ourselves to a fancy hotel to end our vacation. It is very expensive and maybe some people like this type of thing, but we definitely would not return here, just simply because of the atmosphere and the attitude of the people that stay here. They seemed all very snobby and had their nose in the air.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fortaleza, CE
Reviewed May 26, 2010

Me, my husband and my parents began a journey of 15 days by Germany in Munich and this hotel was our first stop. The location is very good. Despite being next to the train station (a plus for some people, but not for us, as we were driving), it is very close to Marienplatz, where everything happens. The hotel's decor is fantastic, it is exactly like the pictures posted on their website. The room, beautiful, clean and spacious, was full of pampering: evian water and Nespresso coffee machine free of charge, plus a delicious box of chocolates in the room where I stayed with my husband. The room my parents had two floors, a real luxury! The bathroom amenities were of Hermes, wonderful. The room lighting were different than I've ever seen, then, while well lit, had some colored lights, amber and rose, which brings the environment. The fast and efficient service. Anyway, it was the best hotel of all the seven we stayed in Germany, although not the most expensive. If you're planning to go to Munich in a special trip, I suggest you stay in this hotel!

Stoney Creek, Canada
Reviewed May 18, 2010

I was really looking forward to staying at this hotel, given I had such an amazing stay at the Healthrow Airport Sofitel. However, I was extremely annoyed upon arrival when the staff could not locate my reservation.

They did finally find it, but told me that because they could not authorize my credit card 48 hours prior to my arrival, they cancelled my reservation. (My credit card was stolen upon arrival in Europe and I had cancelled it). They did manage to find us a room, but at an increased rate (surprise, surprise!). They explained to me in a very snooty tone that the disclaimer about the credit card was in fine print under my reservation confirmation. (Honestly!?!). They did try calling me once - but did not try a second time, and did not try my e-mail. I did not have my north american blackberry on 24-7 while travelling in Europe...my fault. Annoyed.

The hauty attitude continued when my husband and I went for a nightcap in the lounge. It took over 30 minutes to get our first drink - my vodka cranberry soda was a mere 16 euros. Annoyed.

Like I said, the hotel itself was beautiful. The location was about a 10min walk to the old town and directly next to the train station, but it was no Four Seasons service! I wasn't sure how safe the area was late and night - but because I was with my husband, I didn't worry. Had I been by myself, or travelling with a girlfriend - I wouldn't reccommend the location.

USA/Russia
Reviewed May 16, 2010

We stayed here with our two young children. Our room was neat and clean and had a Nespresso machine, Hermes toiletries and the most comfortable bed ever (really, I mean ever, ever.)
I chose this hotel because I am a big fan of modern design, especially when combined with historic elements (the facade of this hotel is original, the interior is very modern). However, I also believe that in modern design, form must follow function and I felt that sometimes this rule was ignored here. The bathroom door is a frosted, glass sliding door offering very little privacy (fine for a single business traveler, not ideal for a family), And the mother-board style light switch was way too complicated for way too little pay-off.
We loved the downstairs bar and had a nice evening there. We even brought our kids along and they enjoyed fruit smoothies and hot chocolate while we I sipped champagne and Reisling and the Mr. had some beer.
The swimming pool was strange and dark and the kids were afraid to swim down the dark, long corridor, but they enjoyed peeking through an orange glass window that over looks the feet of passersby in the lobby. The staff at the pool/spa were fantastic and very helpful.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Prague
Reviewed May 13, 2010

My family of 2 adults and 3 children (newborn,2 1/2 yr old ,and 10 yr old) stayed at the Sofitel for 4 nights in May. We took advantage of the family promotion: 2nd room at 50% off.It came to 300 euros/night for 2 rooms which was quite reasonable.

I must say how impressed I was to see a baby cot with beautiful linen,a small bath robe,small bath slippers,and a brand new stuffed animal for my toddler in one of the rooms.We travel often and have stayed in many hotels but this is the 1st time any hotel has gone above my expectations...

The hotel is very modern,very clean,and the staff could not be more service-oriented& friendly.

We had breakfast at the hotel which was quite expensive: 28 euros/adult but our kids could eat for free under the family promotion. Their breakfast was AMAZING! There were fresh fruits,exotic fruits,tons of different kinds of tea,juices,fresh bread,crepes,
pancakes,waffles,bacon, sausages,lots of cold cuts,etc. You can order your own eggs or any other dish. We were amazed by the quality and the variety of their breakfast. We didn't expect it to be so "lavish".

My husband went to the swimming pool with our toddler but didn't stay because he found it "creepy".He found the modern design of the pool and the very dark surroundings odd,not at all welcoming/inviting.

The hotel is very well located beside the train station so there are lots of places to grab a quick bite.There's a Burger King,Mac Donald's,many pizza joints,etc.

The only negative comment I have would be the price of the hotel parking: 24 euros/day.Even if you use your car almost all day,they still charge you 24 euros...

We really enjoyed having the Nespresso coffee in the rooms and the Hermes bath products.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
London
Reviewed May 5, 2010

This is a high end hotel located by the central station in Munich and you get what you pay for; very clean, nice decor, very comfortable, very expensive ($420 for single room). It is not worth the money.
Through membership of accor hotels club I get a free drink voucher at check in however after ordering and consuming my drink was told that the voucher included only cheap drinks (house wine or a beer). That cost me £20 My flight was delayed by 24 hours coming but I was still able to give advance notice before the deadline. The front desk said no problem but to be sure I cancelled also of thedelay on the website where the original booking was made. Of course I then found they had charged me for the "no show" full price ($840 for two people!) and they denied any knowledge of my cancellation despite a receipt from the website. Still arguing but no refund so far. The A-Club with Accor hotels is a con and not worth joining.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Bertybign
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 3, 2010

The Sofitel Munich Bayerpost is in a lovely building in a convenient location next to the train station. It was very easy to find and welcoming, though after the first day I found the area to be very commercial and wished we had stayed in a part of town with more atmosphere.

The best asset of this hotel is the spa. Sauna and steam room are excellent, large, and very hot. The pool is also large and really feels like a part of a relaxing spa rather than a gym. The fitness center is small but well equipped. I didn't have any treatments but would have loved to. The massage rooms and products (L'occitane, OPI) looked fantastic.

Overall the hotel has a younger, hip vibe created by the lighting and decor (not so much the clientele). It seemed that almost all of the other guests were there on business. There is a gigantic room in the center of the building by the main stairs that was only in use once during our stay for a conference welcoming ceremony. It was totally out of place to have that going on right in the middle of where guests go up and down to their rooms, but I was still glad to see it because otherwise the gigantic space just sits completely empty.

Our standard double room was on the small size, though that was expected. Amenities were good (large flat screen TV, nespresso, hair dryer), though we had some problems.

1. The "king sized" bed was comprised of 2 singles pushed together. We are used to this in Europe, but on our first night, the beds gradually moved apart and by morning, I rolled over and fell through the space between them. I informed the staff and a housekeeper was sent up to put a king sized sheet over the two beds. Although I did not fall between the beds again, it seems absurd not to have a way to secure the beds together other than a flat sheet. I am used to American hotels that actually give you a real king sized bed. This system does not feel luxurious at all.

2. When we checked out, there was a 48 euro charge for use of the internet. We were never informed by a member of staff that the internet in the room was not free. When we plugged in our computer to the high speed cable, nothing appeared on our screen to let us know that there would be a charge. Although the staff informed us when we complained that there was a brochure in the room, it was not in a location that was prominent enough for us to find/read. We found this system duplicitous and wrong. Also, very few business hotels in this day and age charge for internet, let alone 24 euros per day! They refunded the 48 euros, but made sure to caution us that next time we would be charged.

A final disappointment was that the windows in our room looked into the inside of another building, without any space between them to see the outside world. In order to check the weather, basically had to leave the hotel.

I'm not sure if I would come back to the Sofitel or not. The price was alright, but I think there are probably better options in Munich that I'd rather explore first.

1 Thank medorand