“Relaxing experience”

Ranked #28 of 382 Hotels in Munich
Helsinki, Finland
“Relaxing experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Like in most of Sofitels, here you can also count on the fact that you'll be treated as an individual. The quality of service is top class. We, for example, got free champagne as a compensation of the pool that was under construction during our stay. The staff also offered us a possibility to use the pool of their competitor, Le Méridien, that actually has the longest hotel pool in Munich.
Spa area was, however, open and we decided to try sauna. It was a little confusing experience since both men and women were mixed together and naked in very same sauna and shower area. It's something we haven't got used to. Is it typical in Germany?
The best part of our stay was the ultra modern room and interior of the hotel. We liked it much. It's nice that some details from the past, like old stamps, has been kept. The building is former post office.
Downside was that the rather high room rate of about 200 euros didn't include WiFi. Neither breakfast was included. And it was a disappointment. The selection was good enough but nothing you would expect to get in a five-star hotel after you have paid 30 euros. Same stuff you eat in many three- and four-star hotels. It was just presented prettier way and service was more attending.
All in all, our stay was a relaxing experience.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
jankiem, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear guest,

It is always a pleasure to read comments as yours. Nevertheless, we’d like to clarify a few points you’ve mentioned. In fact, we do offer free WiFi access to all our guests. As soon as you open your web-browser you can choose between a free access and a premium access. Depending on the rate you booked breakfast is either included or excluded.
You are correct that it is common practice in Germany to have mixed sauna and shower areas. We understand your surprise and apologize if this was unpleasant for you.

Yours sincerely,

Sofitel Munich Bayerpost

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

What a great hotel and location. I stay in a lot of Sofitels and this one is certainly one of the best. I didnt have much time there unfortunately as i hear the spa and pool are top class as well. Excellent food, very good service and the rooms/foyer etc are very nice.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ooost
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Sofitel. We arrived in the morning, and although our room was not ready, we were able to utilize the spa to shower and freshen up. My son loved the room...a loft suite! It was nice to spread out, and have two bathrooms! Everything was clean too.

The service was terrific. We had quick response when we needed extra towels, or an ironing board. And we are alway close with the concierge...no matter who was on duty, they were helpful and thorough.

The pool is pretty cool...like no other one we've seen. And when you are finished swimming you can shower off using the products from the spa.

The location was convenient to most everything. It's is next to the train station, a subway stop and the tram station. And walking to the Marienplatz is easy. Also, if you are planning day trips, the busses load just one block away.

We would definitely return to this hotel!

Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

booked this hotel for the weekend with my partner. there were a few good points and substantial bad points, and my partner did not think it was as bad as I did. Hence this review is more positive than if I had not discussed with him and will list both the good and the bad. However despite planning to come back to Munich, we both agreed that this we would never come back here. I was extremely disappointed, and thought that while the good points were "nice to have" I thought the bad points were things that are essential for a good stay.
We booked the Junior suite, and requested a maisonette style room. I confirmed this was still available prior to booking, and this was no problem.

Lets start with the plusses. (which are few)

The Hotel has a lovely lobby, nice design and layout, you feel nice coming in.
Great location if you are coming or leaving by train, and a quick walk to the glockenspiel, shopping, rathaus etc.
The general spa area, pool and sauna was very nice, and entry was included in the room. Very relaxing, plenty of amenities, really a fantastic plus for this hotel, and probably the main positive point.
The layout of the maisonette room was very nice, we like big windows, and although the view over the station is not great, we liked the design. We were very lucky, there were fireworks that weekend and we could lay in bed and watch them.
The room was spacious enough. TV upstairs and downstairs and the nespresso machine was nice to have in the room.

Down points. I will start with the most major and then to the less significant.
1. the bed was two single beds pushed together.
this is common in europe to put two mattresses together but there is ALWAYS in my experience a sheet etc, and underlay that goes over the top, to join the two, so there is no gap between the beds while you are sleeping. often there is also one frame with two mattresses inside, so they cannot move. This was not the case. The was actually two single beds two mattresses, with separate sheets, and a big gap in between, not only that the mattresses could easily move further apart. I did not notice this till we were going to bed, since the blanket was over both to make it look like 1 bed underneath.
This meant that I spent most of the night "sleeping" in the hole between the beds, and it was officially the worst night of sleep I have ever had in a hotel. I have included pictures of the gap even when the mattresses are pushed together. Even in a 1 or 2 start hotel I expect a comfortable bed, let alone in a 5 star junior suite.

I complained about my sleep because of this the next day as we were checking out and the woman at the front desk did not even apologise, simply said, "oh thats a shame" and kept on with checking us out.

2. Spa treatment
We booked a couples massage treatment, we wanted to have 1 hour together but there was not enough space to do this, so we could only have 1/2 hour. The man at the desk was very friendly and very helpful (I think the only staff member who so nice at the hotel)

so we paid for us each to have 1/2 hour.
The time came and we arrived back at reception in the spa, out appointment was at 9:30 and we were early, we were told to wait till the masseurs arrived, the greeted us and took us to the room at 9:35 (no problem). but when the massage finished I thought it felt super quick I looked at my watch and it was not even 9:55. I was shocked! our massage was only 20 mins each and that included the mins while they left the room for us to lay down on the table etc (which of course is normal). we were (undressed and ) in our robes when we greeted them, but they still took there time to come back, I am mentioning it in light of the fact that 1/3 was already gone with them being late and leaving early... but I was shocked that we paid for 60 minutes and got less than 40 mins probably about 30-35 of actual massage out of the hour. This left us feeling a bit cheated and disappointed.

3. The staff were not very friendly or interested (with the exception of the one at the spa reception). Not downright rude but not at all friendly. Don't expect any service here.

4. The room really needed to be vacuumed. The bathrooms were very clean. The hard surfaces in the room, counters etc very clean. But the room badly badly needed a vacuum. both the carpets and the cushions of the sofa. Its hard to quantify cleanliness, but to give you an idea it looked approximately like my own apartment when I don't have time to vacuum for at least two or more weeks, (thats when I really start to notice at home I have forgotten to vacuum.) - particularly noticeable I think since the furniture is all fabric.

5. We were here as a couple, but it was "ladies night at the spa". which interestingly did not last through the evening. This was a bit strange as we checked in and were told we could not both use the spa since it was ladies night. but that it was soon ending (I dont know how long this went, etc, no further details were given). I am supportive of short women's only time in the spa, or even better a separate women's only area for the spa. thats nice since i understand many women feel more comfortable. I had two issues with this.
a. There was no information prior to arriving on on the website that we may not actually be able to use the spa when we arrived, or how long this goes for. etc.
b.The women at the desk did not provide any real information, just brought it up unprompted that we couldn't use it, but it was shortly over, when we politely asked for more information, because if it was to happen again during our stay etc. the lady at reception simply told us it was "for all the arabic guests" but it was over now. I was very confused. no further actual information, she could have us that many women like to use a womens only spa, instead just saidthat it was "for all the arabic guests". Is this because I have brown skin? Am I also supposed to feel like it was for "different people" like me... or that this has nothing to do with me...and I shouldn't bother about it, I am not sure... I felt uninformed and a quite confused about this whole conversation, and despite being a foreign women, who may or may not want to use the spa with other women, this whole conversation left me feeling EXTREMELY awkward and uncomfortable.

6. Overpriced.
I have stayed in places much cheaper, and places much much more expensive, but overall this did not feel like good value for money. Could have put a bath in a junior suite room (although we did not need it because of the spa). Also with this price, for this room I would think they should include breakfast.

on the whole, too many down points, most of which I could have overlooked if not for being in an extra bad mood from a night of very poor sleep!
Wont ever be back here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We are sorry to hear that our performance during your stay did neither meet your expectations nor our high quality and service standards. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced and for the way we handled the situation. Rest assured that that we used your comments to train our staff members again on the attitude of magnifique service we strive for at Sofitel.

We would also like to explain to you in more detail our concept of “Ladies Night”. As you might have noticed during your stay at this time of the year we welcome a lot of guests with Muslim background. To give these ladies the chance to use the Spa area we created “Ladies Night”, which lasts from 10 pm to midnight. The spa normally closes at 10:30 pm, so the inconvenience is minimal while we offer an additional opportunity to another group of guests. We apologize for the miscommunication that seems to have occurred from our side.

Yours sincerely

Franklin, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

At first impression, the hotel seems great. The old facade makes way for a modern hotel with cool modern rooms. I really like the vibe of this hotel and the location is great adjacent to the train station. The rooms are comfortable with nice duvets, albeit, the modern translucent glass dividers and doors for the bathroom might make some of the more modest guests a bit uneasy. Now for the bad: the Internet SUCKS!!!!!! The supposed free Internet is slower than 1990's dial-up and that was when I actually got a signal in my room. The upgraded (9 eur) Internet was marginal when it did work, which wasn't that often in my room. I had to stand by the front door to get some signal....completely unacceptable for a supposed 5* business hotel. Don't bother with the breakfast either, as it was mediocre at best. The many vendors at the train station have much better food at a fraction of the cost. I've had better food at 3* airport hotels. Lastly, service leaves a lot to be desired too. The desk staff was apathetic and the bar service was almost non-existent.

Room Tip: One that has Internet signal!
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that we didn’t meet your expectations in some areas. Please be assured that we take each comment very seriously and pass it on to the involved departments to improve our performance.

After rechecking the situation with our internet-provider, we found out that during the time of your stay there was a major service interruption in our extended geographic area. Therefore, you experienced an unusually bad service.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Yours sincerely

Nashville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

This hotel is located immediately outside of the main train station and across the street from Le Merridien hotel. It's the perfect location if you are planning on arriving/departing by train or taking day trips using the train. There are plenty of food options inside the station as well, especially good to know to grab a quick curry dog or Starbucks in the morning as the hotel buffet was sorely lacking and expensive.

The wifi is pathetic!! Don't even waste your time trying, just use in the lobby or bar area (as I'm doing right now). We even paid for "better" wifi and still no change. They sent up a technician to the room who confirmed that there was no service in our room. The other room we had in the hotel down the hall (for the kids) also had the same pathetic lack of service. To me, this is totally unacceptable for a 5 star hotel in the middle of a city. BTW, I have been sitting in the bar area for some time now with an empty glass but still nobody has asked if I want anything more.

This hotel also seems to attract a massive middle eastern clientele who would leave their many children to run the halls late at night in lieu of a playground? I had to attempt to shush them myself but they just looked at me like I was from outer space. Finally, I had to have the hotel find the parents in an attempt to rein in their little monsters.

The rooms are modern but small. The toiletries were Hermes so good quality and there was a rain shower, nice touch.

All in all though, I would be hard pressed to return because of the Internet situation and the clientele.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that they can guarantee will have Internet service. They probably can't.
Portsmouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

Sofitel Munich is is the usual high quality from Sofitel, with great design and high level of service. The hotel is centrally located, with easy walking distance to Mariannplatz and Maximillionstrasse shopping areas.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple