“Best spa pool Ive ever splashed in!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel Munich Bayerpost

Sofitel Munich Bayerpost
Ranked #28 of 381 Hotels in Munich
London, United Kingdom
“Best spa pool Ive ever splashed in!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

Very friendly staff, great location. Our room was fantastic over looking the front of teh hotel but alot seem to look onto the wall of the train station which obviously would not be pleasant!!

The spa was outstanding espically as it doesnt market itself as a spa hotel!

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2011

Beautiful hotel,well maintained in easy walking distance of city centre.
Big negative is in a 5* hotel when you ask for a double room you do not expect 2 single beds shoved together with single sheets and single duvets overlapped. The single beds aren't even connected in any way so by morning they are 6 inches apart.
I couldn't really fault anything else but for this reason alone I wouldn't choose to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

My recent stay here was excellent! The Hotel was fabulous with great facilities and excellent location. The only thing that let them down is the front office reception. When I checked in, I was slightly dishevelled from travelling for 20 odd hours and the staff were looking to serve those in suits first. A businessman noticed this and insisted that I went before him. By the end of my stay I realised that they didn't like serving anyone! Plenty of staff were milling around including the concierge and once you got someone to serve you they could not do enough for you but it was getting someone to serve you that was the problem. Not sure if it is a European thing, but I had a King Bed room and it was two large singles pushed together which was disappointing and they need to drop the French Greetings you can be classy without being French. I had just come from several weeks in France and it came across as fake and would have preferred to speak to people in German.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2011

I travel a lot for business and this hotel is pretty standard for modern accor chain facilities. Convenient to the train but definitely a good walk to most places of interest. My biggest complaint is how dark the room is. There are lights everywhere but somehow still not really very bright...I hate having to dodge the shadows in order to put on my make-up! It is sort of like the overhead light was put in exactly the wrong spot. The shower has great water pressure and rooms are otherwise clean, quiet and comfortable. The gym has about 8 pieces of cardio equipment plus free weights, it was extremely hot and small when several people were in the room. I did not try the sauna or pool, but it seemed like a lot of other people were going in and out.

I think that the hotel is probably worth the rate I paid but I would probably try harder for personal trips (vs corporate expense) to find a hotel with identical amenities for less money per night.

Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MrsMcG726
Palos Verdes, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

I have used TripAdvisor as a key guide for planning all vacations for the last 8 years. Never have I found my own opinion of a hotel to diverge so significantly from the TA ratings as I did with the Sofitel Munich. Are we sure these rates are actual travelers and not hired PR posters?

As I looked through the reviews, I saw the words "Luxury" and "5-Star Hotel" repeated frequently. We checked in here after 4-nights at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Berlin. That was a 5*. This was a 3-4* at best.

Location: Everyone raves about the location as it is literally 100 yards from the train station. We too were relieved that the walk with our luggage would be brief. However, think about the ambience of every train station you have ever been too. This one is no exception. It’s gritty, dirty, crowded and positively frightening after dark. Our guidebook expressly tells travelers to avoid the train station completely when night falls and I would agree. In addition to the "ambiance" of the location, the distance of the hotel from absolutely everything we wanted to see/do became a real nuisance by the 2nd day. An extra 10-15 minute walk doesn’t seem like much but after walking 4 hours a day, the extra time becomes daunting. Lastly, there are no decent restaurants on that side of town and the shopping consists of one-off novelty shops and other oddities. Every walk to dinner or a shop will require yet another stroll through the train station.

Lobby/Common Area's: 1st thing to strike me was the strong after-shave/men's cologne smell that greets you when you first walk through the extraordinarily slow circular doors. Hotel design is fabulous and was clearly chic in its day. However, chic quickly becomes tacky if carpets/walls/baseboard/furniture, etc. are not meticulously maintained. The walk to our 3rd floor room was punctuated by extremely worn carpet, frayed at the seams, ground chewing gum along the way and areas or puckering. Walls and baseboards are scratched and chipped. Lighting is dim. In fact, this hotel was probably the darkest hotel I have ever booked. In addition to limited natural light, walls, ceilings and carpet are all a dark eggplant color making the hotel even darker than necessary. How is it possible that I did not see another posting about this fact?

Service - this is where i would give the hotel high marks. We found all service personnel to be well trained and client focused.

Room: They moved us to junior suite as the first room they gave us was a smoking room. It was large but the long dark hallway to the bathroom seemed odd. Towels were thin and worn. Bedding was nice however and we loved the pillow menu. Our room was extraordinarily dark, however. Fabric chairs/sofa were quite stained. On a positive note, the rooms were very quite and well insulated.

In general, we found the hotel to be "Fine". Nothing great. If you could get a really low rate then it might make sense. However, their basic rates were often the same as the Mandarin when they are running a special. Given the tired state of the property and undesirable location, I cannot understand how anyone would rate this a 5-star, luxury hotel. My expectations were far too high for this property given the TA reviews. Hopefully my feedback will provide someone else a more balanced review such that they can make a better-informed decision when selecting their lodging.

The Sofitel NYC is my favorite hotel in Manhattan. I hope they put some money into this property to bring it up to par with their other locations.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank TravelOpportunist
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

Sofitel Munich Bayerpost has a good location, next to the station, and not too far from the centre. Our room was not large, but quiet and comfortable, with good beds, a desk with a Nespresso machine, and a kettle for making tea or hot chocolate. Glass partition (with blinds) between room and bathroom. The bathroom was fine, with gliding doors before shower cabin and WC. There were slippers, bathrobes, Hermes toiletries etc. Everything was spotlessy clean. The reception desk area is elegant, but another, very large public area was quite megalomaniac, in our eyes. Good bar, with outside terrace. The main restaurant of the hotel was closed (it was a Sunday evening), but the other restaurant "Sophies Bistro" was very much to our liking. (Young enthusiastic team, good food.) The next morning there was an excellent breakfast buffet, with really superlative service: our compliments to the staff!

2 Thank Hawet
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

Stayed here last year before Christmas 2010. It is a great hotel with a cool modern interior and furnishings. The Hotel was very clean and the rooms were spacious. There was a large bath area with sliding door into the main room. The Lighting was amazing ranging from pink neon to bright yellow!- But it worked. There was also nice little touches in the room such as i pod docking station and coffee espresso maker. Hermes products in the bathroom and the use of robes and slippers.
You could take a lift directly to the spa which was excellent. There is a great pool with lighting that goes around in a shell shape, making optimum usage of the space. Word of warning though to us prude English types such as ourselves. The nude area is literally a nude area!! Goodness klnows in hindsight what we thought it was! But we still laugh now at the sight of my Wife dropping her shampoo in shock, and it rolling inbetween the legs of a well proportioned Nude German Gentleman who stood perplexed with his hands on his hips!! My Wife was morified and walked off apologizing and bowing at him, whilst I stifled my laughter!!!

The Hotel is in a good location next to the central train station and it is an easy walk to the main areas.
I would recommend a day trip to Salzburg as it was only a few hours on the Train and it is amazing! We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple