“Ideal spot for Oktoberfest”
Review of THE TENT Munich

THE TENT Munich
Ranked #4 of 75 Specialty Lodging in Munich
New Zealand
“Ideal spot for Oktoberfest”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We turned up in Munich for Oktoberfest with no place booked to stay, we asked at the tourist centre and the lady sent us here. We turned up, and the guys working there were awesome, and so welcoming. We stayed in the huge tent which is stacked with bunk beds. There were loads of people staying in there, but you didn't really notice, and it wasn't noisy. The thing I liked the most was that it was warm :) :) LOVED IT! Ideal for Oktoberfest, affordable and easy to get to and from.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lizzy B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We arrived with a large group (about 8 of us) and we were planning on staying in the common area. They were packed so they upgraded us to our own cabin and welcomed us with with some free beer since it was raining outside. Great service, fun atmosphere. Location is a little far out from the city but I think it is worth it to get this experience!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The Tent is, in my opinion, a Eutopian paradise. At 7 euro per night in JUNE, we were expecting an absolute hell hole. Instead, we found ourselves in a serene campsite full of life.

Now don't get me wrong - You do not go to the Tent if you want real comfort. The boys and I were given a roll mat and as many blankets as we wanted and told to go and find a space in the large, festival-sized tent. At first we were rather concerned but when we realised they had 1000s of blankets we used as many as possible and created some quite comfy beds. The communal aspect of the sleeping arrangements might put some off, but for a bunch of lads who shower naked together regularly we weren't at all bothered.

The real appeal of the Tent is in what you do whilst you're not sleeping. They have a small home run cafe where you can pick up a decent meal and beer. Alternatively, you can go to the local supermarket and pick up food to cook in their kitchen yourself. Once you're well fed, for a small deposit you can use their table tennis, football, basketball and volleyball facilities or grab a guitar to play by the campfire.

We spent 5 days in Munich at the Tent and, whilst we had originally planned to only use it as a sleeping hole, we ended up cancelling one of our nights out just to stay by the fire and drink with the other campers. With the Tent being so cheap, we met a tonne of travelling students and such from all over the world, which was absolutely brilliant.

I would say that the Tent should be an essential stop on any traveller's itinerary and is perfect for groups of friends looking to spend time in Munich. The location is about 20-30 mins from the City centre but trams run so frequently and 24/7, so that this is hardly an issue.

When I return to Munich the Tent will be my first port of call. I have no intention of ever looking for any other accommodation there!

Room Tip: You can choose to have bunk beds or sleep on the floor - personally the floor was fine due to the nu...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank michaelthorns
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed at The Tent for three nights in the summer. It was a really cool place and not pricy at all!

The location is not directly in the city, but it didn't take me longer than 20 minutes to get to the city center with the tram. The reception was very nice, all the staff there was friendly and helpful. It was a small community there, where people from different cultures and places get together and get to know each other for a little bit. You could join in spontaneously without feeling uncomfortable, people I met there were all open-hearted. And if you prefer having your own peace, you could always go to the cafeteria, where there were books and internet access. The shower and toilet were clean and there was never a long queue, also for the ladies' room. You could also give your electronic devices to the reception for recharging, it might be a little bit inconvenient for the ones who would rather have the devices with them.

I think it is the perfect place to stay at in the summer. I could sit outdoors until 1am around the fire and it was not cold at all. Later it got cooler, but it was still alright because enough blankets were provided to keep me warm throughout the night. However I really am not sure if it would be the best idea for a trip in September or October, I personally would prefer staying at a warm hostel room. During my visit, it rained quite heavily on one or two days and there was also a storm, but I could stay inside and it was still not that bad to chill there on the sofa and play the slightly off-tuned piano.

Meals were not inclusive, the food was fine. For breakfast, it worked like a regular college cafeteria, where you take whatever you want and pay for it. For lunch and dinner, I think it was a little too expensive for the portion and the choices they provided with. The portion was relatively small, I think it is enough for ladies but maybe not for guys. I don't remember exactly, but I think it costed about €5 per portion, which I was expecting to be cheaper.

Also, they don't accept card payment, they only take cash and I think that was not very practical because I didn't have €50 cash with me and there was no cash point nearby. But I managed to pay the next day so it was still ok.

I enjoyed my stay there and would recommend it to people who are looking for a cheap accommodation and new friends in Munich in the summer.

Kanab, Utah
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I stayed at The Tent Munich for a few nights in early August 2013 with one friend. The atmosphere and overall experience is amazing. Lots to do and everything encourages interacting with other travelers... bonfires, ping pong, 'renting' musical instruments including guitars and a piano. Nice food choices as well. Sleeping in the tent is a real adventure in itself, my only tip is to perhaps bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper! And please, if you have an alarm set, make sure you wake up to it so it's not going off for ten minutes and keeping your neighbors up. ;) I would return here no question.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Slept at the Tent for two nights when we visited Munich as final stop of our Eurotrip last summer. We came with nine persons and brought one big tent, we had to pay only for that one tent, so we payed almost no money per individual. But also when visiting with less persons, The Tent is a cheap place to sleep. Furthermore it is close to public transport, has clean bathrooms, nice helpful staff and kind, open minded guests. There are also possibilities to have breakfast, diner or some beers for reasonable prices.
Perfect for backpackers.

Flint, Michigan
Reviewed November 8, 2013

The Tent was the most refreshing break from Hostel stays, after traveling for several weeks. It was easy to get to via public transit, filled with fun and friendly people (from backpackers to couples to boy scout troops), and just a great atmosphere all around. We ate great food from the most wonderful and cheerful staff, and then drank beer and tea around the fire at night. I highly recommend staying here if you're wanting a chill and friendly experience, with easy access in and out of the city. I rented a lock from them for the lockers, fit my whole bag inside, and felt secure the whole time.

Room Tip: Arrive early during busy seasons if you want a bunk bed with one of your friends!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends