“A great start to our trip” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Tent Munich

The Tent Munich
Ranked #4 of 74 Specialty Lodging in Munich
United Kingdom
“A great start to our trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

I stayed here for one night with my friends during our interrail trip around Europe. It was very easy to reach - taking tram no. 17 from Munich Hauptbahnhof meant that we hardly had to walk at all to reach The Tent. As it was our first campsite we didn't quite know what to expect but as it turned out the staff were really friendly and helpful and the atmosphere was very welcoming. We were staying in our own tent and as it was out of season there was plenty of space to pitch. We arrived at supper time and were pleasantly surprised at the fantastic quality of the food. The showers were great and the bathrooms were clean. As we were taking a night train from Munich the next day we were allowed to leave our rucksacks in the campsite's lockers, free of charge. As the first campsite of our trip it really set the bar for the rest of our interrail accommodation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I booked this place, as I thought it would be fun to sit around a campfire and meet other people. Sure, it was an adventure, but I left after two nights because I didn't get any sleep.

The directions on the website are easy to follow - it's a convenient location. It is also on some trails, so you can go for a run or walk pretty easily.

Upon checkin, they give you a number and you choose your bed. If you stay here, choose one towards the back and away from the lockers. If you're at the back, less people will walk by you when you're sleeping, and people are always getting into the lockers.

The lockers do not fit any luggage. They only fit your valuables you take out of the luggage. A luggage lock fits the lockers, but a typical US locker lock does not fit.

They do not change the sheets, so there was crap and dried bodily fluids and whatnot stuck to the sheets. You don't get pillows, but you do get as many blankets as you'd like. Those are also not washed. The first night was freezing, even though it was July, so I used 4 blankets. It was warmer the second night.

The first night was fine. About half the beds were taken (if you choose the bunk beds, there are a couple hundred beds in one tent) and people were pretty quiet at the 1 am quiet time. I actually got some sleep and people starting getting up at about 7:30. A few people were in bed with each other (which would explain some of that bodily fluid on the sheets).

The second night, a Thursday, a different crowd showed up. They stayed up till about 3 am and got up at about 5 am to scream in the creek. The first night, I had no one sleeping in the bunk above me, but the second night, I had company. Every time he moved, the entire bed moved - it felt like I was in a boat in the water the whole night. Pretty much every bed was taken, which meant there was lots of snoring. I didn't sleep at all and on the third day, I left a day early, because I HAD to sleep before the next part of my trip.

The breakfast is a la carte, so you pay for what you pick. It cost me between 3 and 4 euros both mornings. It was typical European continental breakfast fare - so yummy, but not amazing as some have suggested. I did not try the dinner, but there were two choices - pasta and and curry.

Many people brought their own food - there were shelves and a fridge.

There was also laundry machines - 2.5 euros for washer, 2 euros for a dryer. They also have lines where you can hang your clothes or towels, as well as a giant "sink" to handwash clothes.

THere were plenty of sinks and toilets and I never had to wait in line.

There were outlets in some of the places, but if you didn't want to worry about whether or not someone would take your stuff, you could also give it to the reception to charge for you (they give you a card and when you want your electronics back, you bring the card back). Plenty of people were using electronics, so it wasn't like you were being a snob if you preferred to sit back and check facebook.

There were ALL types of people there - older people, couples, people with kids of all ages...and mostly the party crowd.

So, if you love to drink cheap beer and you're really good at talking to strangers, this is a great place. If you need to sleep for more than an hour, I would find another place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jordan T
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights with a friend at the end of our interrailing trip. All the other hostels in Munich were stupidly expensive so we thought we'd give The Tent a go. At first I was a bit unsure as I am definitely not one for camping however I had great fun. We stayed in bunk beds in the main tent and even though it was July, we were still very chilly at night however the staff were pleased to give out as many blankets as you wanted (for free). The whole vibe is really enjoyable and all the staff were really helpful and friendly adding to the atmosphere. The bathroom was very clean and modern. The cafe area was spacious with loads of seating and surprisingly cheap. Even if you aren't one for camping, I would give it a go as it was really fun and a great experience. The only downside is that it is around a 15 minute tram ride to the centre of Munich however they run roughly every 10 minutes and right through the night too!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

My cousin and I stayed here in Sep 12 for Oktoberfest. We had the most amazing time. Going back in 2014 cant wait. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the bunk beds are quite comfy (after all day drinking you dont notice anything). The showers were very clean and hot, I recommend waking up early to beat the rush, especially during Oktoberfest. Very close to tram link and a 15-20 min ride into the centre of Munich. Food was great and cheap. Would have no hesitation in staying here again, going to book for Oktoberfest 2014 when I can! Great nights around the camp fire talking to new people and sharing stories. Perfect place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jack L
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

I spent 4 nights here when I was in Munich for a family reunion and wedding. After a side trip to Berchtesgaden I spent one more night here before flying home to Colorado. I brought my own tent so I could have a little privacy. The two big sleeping tents looked very clean inside, but I just wasn't interested in sharing accommodations with that many people.

On the positive side, the place was very clean and everything (plumbing, etc.) worked well and was in good repair. Breakfast was good value for the money, and the cheap beer was nice to have at night. The staff all speak excellent English, although I tried to speak German whenever I could. The free wi-fi was nice to have, but a little slow and erratic at times. The Tent is a little far from town, but there's a streetcar into town 5 minutes away and public transport in Munich is excellent.

My one complaint was that quiet hours are too short and start too late (1 AM to 5 AM). Nearly all the guests were quite good about winding down the noise at 1 AM, but when a tiny handful of guests decided to keep up the noise after 1 AM (until about 2:30 AM, as I recall), the staff was not effective at dealing with them. I complained to the staff twice about a small group of noisemakers, and the noise continued until they ran out of energy and passed out at close to 3 AM.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Konin, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

i was there few times, on the way to italy. it's a great place and great people! i caould live there because of the ambience. it was quite cold at night slleping at the floor but really funny ;) hope i could go there one more time!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

It was our first time to Munich and our first time to Oktoberfest and this place was amazing. As everyone mentions it's 5 minute walk to the tram that takes your right to the main train station.
Bathrooms and showers were so nice and clean and never a problem with getting hot water.
Bunk beds were exactly what was expected and all that was needed. They give you as many blankets as you want and they all seemed to be clean and stench free.

We assumed the bunks would just be a free for all and grab any bunk that was available, but they do assign you a specific bunk when you arrive. I'm not sure if it was just busy or if they purposely separate couples (I was on the top bunk and my boyfriend was on a top bunk 3 beds over). This didn't really both us as we were literally just at the tent to sleep but it did kind of take us by surprise that we weren't next to each other in the tent. I'm sure over the years the staff have figured out a system that works best so we respected that.

We didn't eat the food at the tent but we heard it was good. We did drink the beer and it was delicious.

There are plenty of lockers in the tents, they aren't big enough for suitcases but your suitcases were very safe on the floor. The lockers are more for your valuables.

This place is whatever you want it to be. Because it was just my boyfriend and I we kept more to ourselves and just used the place to sleep, shower and then off to see Munich.
Other people of course were there to make friends and party by the campfire. Whatever you're looking for there you are sure to have an amazing time!

If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple