“Really fun”
Review of THE TENT Munich

THE TENT Munich
Ranked #5 of 79 Specialty Lodging in Munich
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights with a friend at the end of our interrailing trip. All the other hostels in Munich were stupidly expensive so we thought we'd give The Tent a go. At first I was a bit unsure as I am definitely not one for camping however I had great fun. We stayed in bunk beds in the main tent and even though it was July, we were still very chilly at night however the staff were pleased to give out as many blankets as you wanted (for free). The whole vibe is really enjoyable and all the staff were really helpful and friendly adding to the atmosphere. The bathroom was very clean and modern. The cafe area was spacious with loads of seating and surprisingly cheap. Even if you aren't one for camping, I would give it a go as it was really fun and a great experience. The only downside is that it is around a 15 minute tram ride to the centre of Munich however they run roughly every 10 minutes and right through the night too!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 27, 2013

My cousin and I stayed here in Sep 12 for Oktoberfest. We had the most amazing time. Going back in 2014 cant wait. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the bunk beds are quite comfy (after all day drinking you dont notice anything). The showers were very clean and hot, I recommend waking up early to beat the rush, especially during Oktoberfest. Very close to tram link and a 15-20 min ride into the centre of Munich. Food was great and cheap. Would have no hesitation in staying here again, going to book for Oktoberfest 2014 when I can! Great nights around the camp fire talking to new people and sharing stories. Perfect place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jack L
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I spent 4 nights here when I was in Munich for a family reunion and wedding. After a side trip to Berchtesgaden I spent one more night here before flying home to Colorado. I brought my own tent so I could have a little privacy. The two big sleeping tents looked very clean inside, but I just wasn't interested in sharing accommodations with that many people.

On the positive side, the place was very clean and everything (plumbing, etc.) worked well and was in good repair. Breakfast was good value for the money, and the cheap beer was nice to have at night. The staff all speak excellent English, although I tried to speak German whenever I could. The free wi-fi was nice to have, but a little slow and erratic at times. The Tent is a little far from town, but there's a streetcar into town 5 minutes away and public transport in Munich is excellent.

My one complaint was that quiet hours are too short and start too late (1 AM to 5 AM). Nearly all the guests were quite good about winding down the noise at 1 AM, but when a tiny handful of guests decided to keep up the noise after 1 AM (until about 2:30 AM, as I recall), the staff was not effective at dealing with them. I complained to the staff twice about a small group of noisemakers, and the noise continued until they ran out of energy and passed out at close to 3 AM.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 6, 2013

i was there few times, on the way to italy. it's a great place and great people! i caould live there because of the ambience. it was quite cold at night slleping at the floor but really funny ;) hope i could go there one more time!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 29, 2013

It was our first time to Munich and our first time to Oktoberfest and this place was amazing. As everyone mentions it's 5 minute walk to the tram that takes your right to the main train station.
Bathrooms and showers were so nice and clean and never a problem with getting hot water.
Bunk beds were exactly what was expected and all that was needed. They give you as many blankets as you want and they all seemed to be clean and stench free.

We assumed the bunks would just be a free for all and grab any bunk that was available, but they do assign you a specific bunk when you arrive. I'm not sure if it was just busy or if they purposely separate couples (I was on the top bunk and my boyfriend was on a top bunk 3 beds over). This didn't really both us as we were literally just at the tent to sleep but it did kind of take us by surprise that we weren't next to each other in the tent. I'm sure over the years the staff have figured out a system that works best so we respected that.

We didn't eat the food at the tent but we heard it was good. We did drink the beer and it was delicious.

There are plenty of lockers in the tents, they aren't big enough for suitcases but your suitcases were very safe on the floor. The lockers are more for your valuables.

This place is whatever you want it to be. Because it was just my boyfriend and I we kept more to ourselves and just used the place to sleep, shower and then off to see Munich.
Other people of course were there to make friends and party by the campfire. Whatever you're looking for there you are sure to have an amazing time!

If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 1travelisfun1
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for Oktoberfest and had a great time. The facilities are basic and it is cold this time of year. However, the diveristy of people who stay at the Tent is what makes.it special. People from all over the world gathered around thr communal campfire and night and told travelling stories. If. you want to meet cool people, don't mind a bit of camping then your gonna love THE TENT. Oh and did i mention its a 5 minute walk to the tram that takes you near Oktoberfest

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

It's like a never ending camping trip! I absolutely loved it. The atmosphere makes it. Plus it's a new experience. You've paid what, $10 US for a bunk with warm blankets, clean bathrooms and endless hours of fun and communication. Wifi works great in the canteen and maybe a 15metre radius, but the food is cheap, the drinks are cheap, the staff are amazing and friendly. Free tours go each day. Plus leave a deposit and you can play table tennis, board games, frisbee, you name it. We had the most amazing time. I'm 16 and went with my parents and I met some absolutely wonderful people! There's no language issues which was so fantastic. You can use the kitchen, there's clotheslines, soccer fields, volleyball set up.. Everything you could wish for to relax and meet new people and exchange stories.

The only issue was the squeaky floorboards in the huge tent and the fact that some people can't understand the "1am silence" policy. But I loved it there. I could've spent the entire week hanging out at the bonfire at night, having an unforgettable time. Walking distance to a tram station to take you into town and really it's just a lovely location! Oh and the hottie who works in the cafeteria with the quiff hairstyle going on, well damn ;) he made it more than worth it and his hand and arms and alright back on track, ladies!

I recommend this place until the day I die. Do not change at all, I'll be back to see you all again, I had an amazing stay. Better than the places we stayed for $70+ a night. Just splendid. I don't think you'll regret the stay here, but try to be in bed before the stampede of elephants being herded inside!

• Stayed: July 2012