“Upgrade in order”

Hotel Biederstein
Hotel Biederstein
Ranked #204 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed again at the Biederstein this year, and I feel I should upgrade the hotel to 5 stars (last year I was a tad stingy and gave 4). We had booked the same family room as before, but the previous occupants had apparently left the room in a state where the owners felt they could not rent it to us. Thus the owner called me the day of our arrival in the morning, apologized, and offered to either have a repair/cleaning company come to the hotel and fix the family room by 3 pm, or to give us better rooms for the same price, or first try the other rooms and if we didn't like it go back to the family room. This I call commitment to service.

The location was as great as ever, the rooms comfortable, spacious and immaculately clean, the service friendly, the breakfast buffet excellent. I wouldn't know what to criticize. Whenever I'll need a hotel in Munich, Biederstein it will be.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Our family spent 10 nights at Hotel Biederstein in June. What a great choice. The staff was so friendly and helpful. We wanted a simple place to stay while seeing both Munich city sites and the Bavarian countryside. Karen and Andreas were excellent sources of information and assistance. The rooms were comfy, clean and quiet, and the buffet breakfast was varied and excellent. Lulu, our favorite waitress, served us eggs to order each morning and was so sweet and efficient. We had a double room and a family room, and this combination was perfect for our family of 2 parents and 3 older children. We could walk to the Englischer Garden, the subway, and we found parking on the street for the few days we had a rental car. The neighborhood is mostly families, and pretty quiet, but there are lots of restaurants within walking distance. If you don't feel like taking the subway, you could actually walk to Marienplatz within about 30 minutes. It's very pedestrian friendly. If we return to Munich, we will definately stay here.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We (a couple with two small children, 4 and 6) stayed there for a couple of nights after a 2-week vacation in the Bavarian countryside, just to sniff a bit of city air. Hotel Biederstein does not look like much from the outside - it is part of of an unassuming apartment complex from the 1960s or 70s. However, its location is excellent, in a quiet residential street that is just steps from both Munich's beautiful city park "English Garden" and the hip neighborhood of Schwabing. There is also a fine traditional restaurant/beergarden ("Osterwaldgarten") just around the corner. The metro is 10 minutes away and brings onw downtown within another 10 minutes.

Staff is friendly, the rooms are not luxurious but clean, functional and comfortable. Fine breakfast buffet. Overall a good place to stay if you look for a more intimate, relaxing setting in this fabulous city.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank HenryKaspar
Reviewed November 11, 2010

Located near the lake in the picturesque English Garden (a few minutes walk from Műnchner Freiheit underground station), the hotel is in a very quiet and safe neighbourhood and it's a good base to explore Munich. I had a clean, tidy, functional room, which was like sleeping in a soundproof chamber (very unusual for a city hotel). The extremely helpful staff all spoke excellent English and the buffet breakfast was very tasty. For business travellers, this is certainly much better value than the larger chain hotels.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank MikeDa13
Reviewed March 8, 2009

As I have been coming to Munich on a regular basis over the last 10 or more years, I decided it might be time to switch hotels. I always wanted to stay close to the Englischer Garten, Munich as it is a favourite place of mine and I knew there was a hotel(s) almost backing onto it so I decided to see what the Hotel Biederstein (or its sister hotel , Hotel Gästehaus Englischer Garten ) were like because of their close proximity to the park. I was not disappointed. My room in the Biederstein, although somewhat plain and relatively small, was clean & sufficient for my needs. There seemed to be a fairly relaxed manner about the hotel and reception were helpful and unobtrusive – more the flavour of a guesthouse than a hotel. The Biederstein provided a very nice breakfast on a sunny terrace and I was more than content. There is not much more than a small lobby there and ones room but at the bottom of the street you can find a good restaurant where you can sit outside and enjoy a tasty meal in pleasant surroundings. The hotel is located in a quiet residential district. The Biederstein is not particularly cheap but neither are many places in Munich unless you are particularly astute or compromise a little on location or the state of the fabric of the accommodation. As is often the case when you find accommodation that suits your style or mood at a particular time, provided the basics are there – clean room & facilities, basic comfort and food that is enjoyable – then it leaves one with a favourable impression and a wish to return, which is the case with myself and the Biederstein.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank ooDormouseoo
Reviewed November 24, 2007

A small and cozy family-run hotel in a decent location (in Schwabing, near the Münchner Freiheit subway station). And if you like relaxed Old-World charm, you might enjoy staying here. Breakfast was very pleasant, with a fresh Continental buffet, and staffed by a cheerful lady who always remembered who likes which drink in the morning.

But there are problems, too. First, I didn't get all the messages that people left for me with the front desk. I got maybe two out of five over the course of a four nights' stay. Second, they never once got my wake-up call right. One time the phone didn't work; one time the manager forgot (or was sleeping); I don't know. There's really no excuse for it. If you absolutely need to get your messages or to be woken up in the morning, this isn't the hotel for you.

They had just installed wireless internet a day or two before my stay, and I can tell you that it hardly worked in anyone's room. There was a PC in the lobby that anyone could use (when it was working, ca. 75% of the time), and down there I found the wireless signal strong enough to catch as well, but there's a big difference between internet access at a public PC in the lobby and wireless internet access in your room. Don't count on the latter.

All in all--not a disaster, but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank DrGoldin
Reviewed October 18, 2003

Owned by the same people as the smaller Englischer Garten. Much nicer rooms though with a bigger breakfast room-they are normaly closed for Christmas though! really good value!

1  Thank gigibebek