“A great hotel, well located in Munich centre”
Review of Asam Stadthotel

Asam Stadthotel
Ranked #251 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Recently stayed here for one night and was pleasantly surprised. We were in Munich whilst Oktoberfest was on so the choice of hotels was limited but this hotel was available and it was a good choice. The rooms were spacious, clean and the bed was comfy. Breakfast was good and we even noticed that the hotel had laid out various hangover remedies for those who had had a heavy night at Oktoberfest! The staff were really nice and the only downside to our stay was the price of the room was high but I would imagine that would be the case for all hotels during Oktoberfest so no real issues and I would stay here again. This hotel should definately be alot higher up in the ratings than it is so dont let this put you off staying here!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Asam Stadthotel

Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights and the location was excellent. Very close to the Sendlinger Tor S-Bahn and tram stops and only a 5 minute walk to Marienplatz. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Be warned there is no AC and if you are on the prettier back side of the building, there is a church that tolls every 15 minutes, 7am - 10pm, and with windows open it can be loud. I always travel with earplugs so it really didn't bother me. Room and bathroom were the roomiest we found in Europe. The separate toilet and shower rooms are good for a family. The beds were comfortable and the room was very clean. They do serve breakfast, it is not included and 19 Euros/person. We don't eat that much so just grabbed a coffee and pastry during our walks. Overall a good choice for a hotel in Munich.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back have views of the courtyard, not street, but have the church bells tolling between...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I used TripAdvisor to help me pick my hotel, and came upon this hotel which had the perfect combination of features we were looking for. For our first trip to Munich, we were looking for a hotel right in the old town area of Munich, near the museums, with nice simple clean rooms and for a reasonable price, and with high TripAdvisor ratings. This hotel had all of that. It was recommended by locals too! So you cant beat an insider's opinion!

I found some reviews here that said the garden view on a higher floor gets you the best views of Munich. I emailed the hotel to ask if it was possible to reserve one of those rooms and I not only heard from them immediately, one of those rooms was reserved for me!

All around, you cant beat this hotel for a great Munich experience.

Room Tip: Garden room on a higher floor!!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank AuthntctySeekr
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Stayed one night only during Oktoberfest. Our room was large, clean, looking on to rear courtyard with exceptionally decorated and laid out bathroom, ample space for luggage and view of Asam Kirche through two large windows, one a French door style leading onto a small balcony. Staff was exceptionally courteous and helpful. Hotel is located on a quiet sidestreet virtually in the heart of the old city with its own pub adjoining and an intriguing Afghan restaurant facing. We would return without question.
Other reviewers have remarked on outdated furniture. We found none. On the contrary, all items were clean, newish and up to date. Yes, wifi is unfortunately seen as a profit centre (sigh).

Room Tip: We found our rear-facing room quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 206David
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We stayed two nights in the Asam Stadhotel and it was the most comfortable stay we had of any of the four hotels we stayed at on this trip. The mattresses were by far the most comfortable and the location on a quiet side street near the center of town could not be beat.

We arrived about 5 hours earlier than the official check-in time, but were promptly given a large room on the top floor facing the quiet back courtyard. The lady running the office spoke impeccable English and had such a nice up-beat personality that we felt instantly energized after our long flight just by talking to her.

Everyone we encountered in this little hotel was very friendly. It feels like a happy family-run place and they are much more informal than most German hotels. We did not choose to have breakfast there, but we did use the private underground garage. One caution about parking; anything larger than a smaller mid-size car will not fit in this garage.

Our only complaint was that the lighting in the bathroom was pretty dim (halogen lamps) and the marble counter was so deep that I could not see across it to the mirror well enough to put in my contact lenses. Fortunately there was an abundance of natural light from the large windows in the bedroom and a little desk in front of them I could use.

This hotel is your basic European small hotel with a tiny elevator and only basic services, but it was super-friendly, clean, and has one of the best locations you could want. It is only one block over from Sendlenger Strasse and a 5 to10 minute walk to the Victualienmarkt and Marienplatz. We enjoyed walking back late at night past all the neighborhood cafes and nicely decorated shop windows. There were always people in the hotel bar downstairs to give us cheerful good-night wishes as we came in.

One thing that we particularly enjoyed was the view from our room's windows. We faced the back into a nice courtyard of old apartment buildings with little balconies and window boxes. Looming above the roofs was the steeple of an old brick church that was framed nicely by our window and always seemed to be changing color as the sun moved across the sky. It became a friendly face as we turned in at night and then awoke each morning.

At the end of our 9 day excursion through Bavaria we reminisced that the Asam Hotel had been our favorite of the lot. We will definitely stay there again should be find ourselves in Munich.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back for more quiet. Ask fro a higher floor to get a view of the nice chur...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed in the hotel for one night - basically, it has everything you need for a stay (my room even had a steam bath), the rooms are very spacious and the service is friendly and efficient. It is also rather quiet once the bar guests have left.

Nevertheless, there are some downfalls: first, Internet connection is not free and - once paid - did not work all the time. Furthermore, the place is a little bit outworn and the design is not really modern. The hotel would definitely tolerate a general refresh of the furniture and the equipment, replacing what was considered as beautiful in the seventies and early eighties by more modern design patterns. When the hotel was equipped for the last time, I was a teenager, but I am not at all nostalgic of the bad taste of this period, reason why I will probably not go back - despite the undeniable functional qualities of the hotel.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better, and try to get a room at the back side
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank CarosassoneCH
Reviewed July 25, 2011

After MUCH online searching I chose Das Asam for a family trip to Munich. The hotel is in a great location on a quite street (a very short walk to the main shopping area). I rented a 2 bedroom unit with a living area. This hotel is very clean and well run. For a safe, convenient, good value it can't be beat. If you like your hotel experience to be a little "noteworthy" this may not be the one for you. Furnishings and bedding are quite ordinary (picture the dorm room of a neat-freak). Lastly, had I known this in advance I may not have stayed, NO A/C. The days were not that warm while we were in Munich but the temp. in the room in the evenings had to be 78-80 degrees.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family