“This place is the cats pajamas”
Review of Euro Youth Hotel

Euro Youth Hotel
Ranked #1 of 78 Specialty Lodging in Munich
Reviewed December 31, 2013

After traveling around for a few months you get used to hostel-hopping... therefore I'd like to think of myself as somewhat of a hostel connoisseur.

That being said, Euro Youth was one of (if not THE) best hostel I had the pleasure of staying at during my journey. The staff was extremely friendly from the moment I booked my stay over the phone to the moment I bid them adieu! The bathrooms and showers were always clean and readily available, there were a ton of activities to get involved in, the staff was knowledgable about the city and had lots of suggestions. Not to mention the location is great. I never had a hard time finding my way to the sites I wanted to see. When I look back at my time spent in Munich most of my memorable moments took place in that hostel bar, or with the people I became friends with AT the hostel.

Bottom line is, if you want to make some friends and you're looking to have a good time, stay here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Manderz1788

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Really enjoyed my time here at the Euro Youth Hotel; it was easy to settle in and make the most of my time in Munich.

The rooms and communal areas were clean and well maintained. The staff and people staying there all shared a passion for the city and had plenty of recommendations for me, including my tour guide, Gary. Speed of service was also excellent.

Location is second to none, really near the Hauptbahnhof, main train station.

Last but not least the bar if fantastic.

Thanks & looking forward to staying again. Would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Apparently there is absolutely no limitation on who can stay here. Half the hostel is filled up with people you would never want to meet let alone share a dorm with!
Drug addicts, huge groups of I don't know what kind of refugees (?), alcoholics and whatnot. Also there is obviously not even an attempt made to put 'birds of a feather' in a dorm together.
As a single female traveller you might well be paired with only 40+ males, not speaking a word of English or German and staring at your every move, preferably at your [--] and breasts!
Worst place I ever stayed at!
STAY AWAY!

And even if this place would be turned into an actual youth hostel beds would still be horrible and so would be the showers.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank gagalichen
andyEYHmunich, Manager at Euro Youth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Gagalichen,

First of all I would like to apologise that your stay here obviously didn’t live up to your expectations. Secondly I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are always keen to hear feedback, positive or negative, as we can always learn from it (and improve). To be perfectly honest in this instance your sensationalist style, extravagant claims and blatant disregard for the facts make writing a response an exercise in restraint but still I’d like to address the points you make.

In the 12 bed dorms we do indeed have an age limit of 35. However we are unwilling to extend this to all rooms as we don’t consider it just. Budget travel is not solely the prerogative of young adults.

This said, the overwhelming majority of our guests are young (18-35) guests from all around the world. Most are taking trips around Europe or taking a city trip from within Europe. This is a fact.

If we have a single female traveller book with us (in a ‘mixed room’) we do attempt to accommodate them in a room with at least one other female. We do however have an extremely high occupancy rate which does sometimes make this an impossibility at short notice. If such a wish is expressed in advance we will however always be able to arrange it.
If a guest comes to us and feels uncomfortable with his/her roommates we will always investigate and find some kind of solution.

It is possible to book our beds through numerous channels. This enables people from varying backgrounds to book us. We like this. We enjoy the cultural diversity that this affords.

If someone has reserved with us and on arrival our receptionist judges that it would not be suitable for them to stay in a shared room, (as a rule of thumb the receptionist considers whether they would feel comfortable sharing a room with said person), then we will offer a private room as an alternative or in some cases refuse admission (if for example the guest is intoxicated). We do not consider the inability to speak English or German as antisocial behavior.

Drug Addicts ? We are ourselves very vigilant about who we check in and who comes into the building. We have a keycard system which denies access to all non-guests. We have additional security in the evening too. If a guest does become aware of anyone behaving suspiciously inside or outside of a room then a word to the reception will see immediate action taken.

Alcoholics ? A lot of people come to Munich partly to enjoy the great beer. We also have a very popular bar. Sometimes guests go to bed drunk, they are on holiday and enjoying the international atmosphere and the fantastic beer. If we become aware (we actively watch out) or are made aware of any anti-social behavior (alcohol fuelled or otherwise) we always react swiftly.

Huge groups of refugees ?? I don’t know what to say to this. We are not an accommodation for refugees. We are however proud of having guests from all around the world. I can only imagine you have a very confused understanding of the meaning of the word ‘refugees’.

I apologise if our beds were not to your liking. Personally I think they are the most comfortable that I have experienced on the hostel circuit. Handmade wooden beds, extremely stable and with new foam mattresses on slats. Indeed we receive a lot of very positive comments about our beds.. as is also the case with the cleanliness. Again I apologise if you had a negative experience with the showers, I cannot say who was in it before you, but I would like to assure you that we clean them very regularly and that the last renovation was only a couple of years ago.

I truly am sorry that your stay with us was not all you would have liked it to have been. To conclude I would like to reiterate that we do try to avoid placing single female travelers in a shared room with only men and in the vast majority of cases this works. However due to high occupancy this is not always possible if we are not advised in advance and it would appear that this was the case with you.
Even then though if a guest informs us that they do not feel comfortable in the room, or makes us aware of any anti-social actions of another guest we will always find a swift solution.

Thanks again for your time and for originally choosing to stay with us, and I wish you all the best for all your further travels,

Euro Youth Hotel Munich.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

This hostel was very good. The location is great, right near the Hauptbahnhof (main station) in Munich. The staff were helpful and friendly and we even got free Glühwein vouchers for Christmas. There is a bar, and breakfast and laundry facilities are provided for an additional charge. The rooms were clean and reasonably comfortable. There was a fair bit of noise from the bar and street outside at times, but not too bad. I would gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher levels may require you to climb more stairs, but they will be quieter as they are further...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Matt G
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This hostel was everything u can ask. It was clean, rooms were quite cozy, the stuffs was so helpful about anything, there was a good internet connection and it was so central. Good bar too! So cool..

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 15, 2013

The best thing about this place - it's soooo close to the train station (less than 100 metres). The next best thing - a 4.5 Euro all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet that's a blessing for a budget traveller. It's a great spread, one that would definitely recommended.

The Youth Hostel is a melting pot of people from different cultures and it's a great place to meet with lots of interesting travellers. The rooms are decent; but the WC is not in the room. They also have lockers for safe keeping of valuables.

The guys at the reception were helpful with directions and a map of Munich and the hostel is quite lively in the evening.

I would definitely recommend this hostel to budget travellers, and I am curious to check out the other 'Famous hostels' (it's a hostel chain) in Europe

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sid42
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I loved my stay at the Euro Youth Hotel in Munich. They're located right across the street from the train station, so right by the city center as well. I stayed in a 10 person room and it was very well equipped with a lock-able drawer, plug, and light for every person. The employees were super helpful in what to do in Munich while we were there and the bar was awesome to go to at night too!! Several doors to get into with your key too, so it was very safe. Price was awesome for that good of quality too. I really can't complain about anything! Awesome place to stay. :)

• Stayed: November 2013