“Fine dining in hotel restaurant”
Review of Schapeau

Schapeau
Ranked #129 of 3,878 Restaurants in Munich
Cuisines: German, Mediterranean, Bar, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Take a break from the daily routine and indulge yourself In the guest rooms restored along historical lines with borrowings from Art Nouveau with terrace and wine cellar, you are welcome to savour tasty and sophisticated dishes prepared by our chef de cuisine Martin Scheller. Enjoy our selection of great wines from Italy, Austria and Germany, as well as the attentive service of our restaurant team.
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The chef is young and has an ambitious repertoire that he updates regularly. Everything is beautifully prepared, very fresh.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I found Schapeau on Tripadvisor in an effort to go for something a little lighter than the other traditional German pork-heavy meals I've had (and enjoyed a great deal). As luck would have it, Schapeau is the Torbraeu Hotel's restaurant, where I am staying.

First off, I got a "welcome plate", which for me is always a good sign for two reasons: 1. Hey, bonus food, and 2. There's a chef in the kitchen who wants to show you a little something extra. It was great, with a grilled shrimp and a savory mousse which went great with the artisan bread. My waiter was very outgoing and friendly and fluent in English, as well as Spanish as I heard him conversing with the table next to mine, and the food runner was also very warm and charming. The appetizer I had with roasted vegetables was light but well balanced with buffalo mozzarella wrapped in ham. The waiter was even conscientious enough to warn me about the ham in case I was a vegetarian, having noticed I ordered a meatless main course. I am not by a long shot of course, but it was impressive that he was paying attention. My main course -- mozzarella and tomato ravioli with fresh basil -- was delicious and just what the doctor ordered. It was an all-around excellent dining experience.

1  Thank 415traveller
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed at the Torbrau for 4 nights and ate here 2 of the 4 because it was so good. Wiener schnitzel was fantastic, ordered it twice. Fresh bread with unique spreads and butters (they were different both nights). Beautifully prepared local foods (lots of asparagus when we were there) and a charming, friendly staff. It is pricey but worth it for us to have a peaceful, lovely setting close to our hotel, with excellent food. True, the menu is limited - just get the wiener schnitzel!

1  Thank KATexas88
Reviewed May 22, 2013

As I was staying at the Torbraeu Hotel, I tried this new restaurant located next to it.
The food was OK but not great, overpriced and even if the restaurant was almost empty, the service was quite slow.
The wine list is VERY expensive. Drink beer!

1  Thank Gilles C
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Over a five day period I have dined at a number of restaurants in Munich, most of which were old standards I had positive experiences previously. Because I had a heavy lunch, coupled with the fact that I have an early morning flight tomorrow that will take me from Munich to Amsterdam, Amsterdam to Houston, and Houston to College Station, I wanted to eat light tonight and close to my room, so I decided to try the Hotel Torbrau restaurant - Schapeau. This restaurant, not to be confused with the hotel's breakfast buffet on the first floor, is located on the ground floor and has internal and external entrances. It is tastefully decorated and the wait staff are friendly and aim to please. I had the salad with a variety of greens, tomatoes, and seeds with grilled chicken breast. The meal was preceded by some breads prepared onsite - one with seeds and the other with olives - served with flavor butter. The breads and the salad were delicious. This was my first time to eat as this restaurant; it will not be my last.

2  Thank CJTravelerTexas