“A delicious break from my German pork-a-palooza” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #76 of 3,434 Restaurants in Munich
Cuisines: German, Bar, Mediterranean, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Francisco, California
“A delicious break from my German pork-a-palooza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I found Schapeau on Tripadvisor in an effort to go for something a little lighter than the other traditional German pork-heavy meals I've had (and enjoyed a great deal). As luck would have it, Schapeau is the Torbraeu Hotel's restaurant, where I am staying.

First off, I got a "welcome plate", which for me is always a good sign for two reasons: 1. Hey, bonus food, and 2. There's a chef in the kitchen who wants to show you a little something extra. It was great, with a grilled shrimp and a savory mousse which went great with the artisan bread. My waiter was very outgoing and friendly and fluent in English, as well as Spanish as I heard him conversing with the table next to mine, and the food runner was also very warm and charming. The appetizer I had with roasted vegetables was light but well balanced with buffalo mozzarella wrapped in ham. The waiter was even conscientious enough to warn me about the ham in case I was a vegetarian, having noticed I ordered a meatless main course. I am not by a long shot of course, but it was impressive that he was paying attention. My main course -- mozzarella and tomato ravioli with fresh basil -- was delicious and just what the doctor ordered. It was an all-around excellent dining experience.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank 415traveller

• Hebrew first
Dallas, Texas
“Respite for the weary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed at the Torbrau for 4 nights and ate here 2 of the 4 because it was so good. Wiener schnitzel was fantastic, ordered it twice. Fresh bread with unique spreads and butters (they were different both nights). Beautifully prepared local foods (lots of asparagus when we were there) and a charming, friendly staff. It is pricey but worth it for us to have a peaceful, lovely setting close to our hotel, with excellent food. True, the menu is limited - just get the wiener schnitzel!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank KATexas88
Mississauga, Canada
“Disapointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

As I was staying at the Torbraeu Hotel, I tried this new restaurant located next to it.
The food was OK but not great, overpriced and even if the restaurant was almost empty, the service was quite slow.
The wine list is VERY expensive. Drink beer!

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Gilles C
Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,631 helpful votes
“A Wonderful Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Over a five day period I have dined at a number of restaurants in Munich, most of which were old standards I had positive experiences previously. Because I had a heavy lunch, coupled with the fact that I have an early morning flight tomorrow that will take me from Munich to Amsterdam, Amsterdam to Houston, and Houston to College Station, I wanted to eat light tonight and close to my room, so I decided to try the Hotel Torbrau restaurant - Schapeau. This restaurant, not to be confused with the hotel's breakfast buffet on the first floor, is located on the ground floor and has internal and external entrances. It is tastefully decorated and the wait staff are friendly and aim to please. I had the salad with a variety of greens, tomatoes, and seeds with grilled chicken breast. The meal was preceded by some breads prepared onsite - one with seeds and the other with olives - served with flavor butter. The breads and the salad were delicious. This was my first time to eat as this restaurant; it will not be my last.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank CJTravelerTexas
Herndon, Virginia
“Italian-German fusion?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Ate here on our last evening after a tiring road trip from Alpine countryside. As it was snowing, we were not in a mood to walk around to find a place... The food selection was good - a combination of Italian and German dishes. Food was very well presented. Staff was very friendly and attentive even though there were only a couple of customers as it was close to closing time... Only downside is that Vegetarian selection is limited to just one item.

• Visited March 2013