“Decent hotel in good location but not a good value.”

Hotel Mercure Munich Altstadt
Ranked #40 of 382 Hotels in Munich
GreenLeadersBronze level
Westerville, Ohio, United States
“Decent hotel in good location but not a good value.”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Hotel is an older property or at least had that feel. Small room and bathroom despite a full price. The staff needs a serious attitude adjustment. I contacted the manager regarding the attitude of the staff and they were not interested in listening. Breakfast was very good though and the location is great.

Parking is an issue at the hotel but there are many garages nearby so do not worry about it filling up.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nick O
DirkKupfer, Manager at Hotel Mercure Munich Altstadt, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Nicholas,

Thank you for staying at our hotel.
First of all please accept my apologies again that you were not happy with your check-in.
But I am a little bit surprised, that you think I would not be interested in your opinion and your complaint. You received a very long answer by email one day after your complaint on the 4th of April.

But let me explain the complaining matter again:
Your reservation was made for one person (there are options to change the numbers of adults on the reservation page).
We are offering cheaper rooms if you are staying alone in the room. But of course you cannot benefit from this special condition if you are arriving with a second person.
And the additional charge for the second person (35,00 Euro per night) is exactly the difference what you would pay if the booking would be made for two persons.

Did you know that you can also book a Junior-Suite (30m²) instead of a double room? It is just 40,- Euro extra per night and you have a lot of space more to feel yourself at home.
Or for just 100,00 Euro per night extra you could choose our Superior-Suite (60m²) with kitchen, dining area and two queensized beds in the bedroom.

With regards from Munich.
-Assistant General Manager-

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Norwich
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We decided on this hotel based on reviews and location. We were not disappointed. It is about 100 yards off the main pedestrian shopping area 3 or 4 minutes walk from Marianplatz and the market. Everything we wanted for our weekend break was on the doorstep. The hotel was spotless throughout. We were very pleased with our room, not overly large but clean and comfortable and a lovely modern bathroom. The beds were comfy, the room air conditioned and a fridge with free water and apple juice. The hotel was not large, there was no bar area as such but a small reception area and a lovely breakfast room, where an excellent selecion was on offer every morning, including hot dishes of eggs, sausage and bacon.
I can only say all the staff at hotel were friendly and helpful, right through from the room maid,
all the ladies serving in the breakfast room, to the two young ladies working on reception. If I am being totally honest, one was extremely helpful and always greeted us with a smile, the other always seemed to look very serious and less friendly, but that having been said, I would not hold that against the hotel, we all have the odd off day. I would say my overall feeling with our 3 night stay was 99% positive. I would stay here again for sure if visiting the city again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank NorwichGangad
DirkKupfer, Manager at Hotel Mercure Munich Altstadt, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to write your detailed review on TripAdvisor further to your stay at our property. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay.

We really appreciate your comments and look forward to your visit again.

Sincerely Yours,
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed here because of the location. Room was very clean and comfortable, but very small. Reminded me of a stateroom on a cruise ship. Had a refrigerator which was great. Each day, it was stocked with bottled water and juice for our use at no charge. Breakfast offered a large assortment of items and was presented in an attractive way. Personnel working the breakfast room were very pleasant.

Negative aspect of our stay was the front desk staff. Some of the staff were not very friendly. Another negative experience was when I inquired about ironing. I was told that I could only use the iron in a room off the lobby. I've used ironing rooms in Germany before, so I was prepared for that. I went upstairs to get clothes and came back down. I went to enter the room and was halted by front desk person and told that I had to pick up the iron from them. So I did. I was escorted to the room and the room was actually a storage room!! Ironing board was set up and I proceeded to iron. A guy came in to pick up his luggage that was stored there!! It was very hot in the room too. I don't know how you can be a business hotel and not have adequate ironing facilities.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Onslow15
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Our group of 3 friends booked two rooms at this hotel. A 4th friend accidentally booked a room at a different Mercure hotel in Munich. When we tried to explain the situation to the receptionist, she was completely unhelpful. It would have taken her 3 minutes to call the other hotel and explain if they could transfer the reservation but she wouldn't even try. My friend tried in vain to work with the other hotel before giving up. Maybe the other hotel still would have said "no", but she wouldn't even TRY! The hotel itself was pretty basic by Mercure standards. Our room was about the size of my bathroom at home. There was barely enough room around the bed to place our luggage. The hotel claims to offer parking, but there was none available when we arrived so had to pay 20 euros to leave our car in a public lot several blocks away. About the only good thing I can say is the breakfast was plentiful and the nice ladies in the dining room were very helpful and kind.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank TwoCrabs
DirkKupfer, Manager at Hotel Mercure Munich Altstadt, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying at our hotel and your review on TripAdvisor.
As responsible hotel manager I am taking every case very seriously.
First of all please accept my apologies that you were not happy with your check-in.
And of course I reconstructed your case with our staff, our hotel system and the other Mercure Hotel.
And now I am a little bit surprised about your view to this matter.

It is totally correct, that one of you had a reservation with the Mercure Hotel Aufkirchen (nearby Munich airport).
Our reception staff contacted them by telephone to ask, if it is still possible to cancel the reservation there. After a positive feedback we offered a room with our hotel. The reception staff even made a new reservation in our hotel system and called the other hotel a second time. But the guest was unsure which hotel he want to use and decided to think about it. He spent some time on our lobby computer and about one hour later he decided by himself (!) to keep the reservation in the other Mercure hotel, because he needs to stay nearby the airport.
Maybe you should contact your colleague again, to clarify this matter.

We are looking forward to welcome you in our Mercure Hotels again.

With regards
valletta
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for just 2 nights. The hotel is just across the pedestrian shopping street. Great location. Room was a good size, very comfortable beds, Impeccably clean. Breakfast was superb with a variety of choice - can't even list all the items available for breakfast. Everything freshly prepared and nicely presented, including a wide selection of freshly cooked pastries. Jummy!!! My husband appreciated most the freshly squeezed orange juice machine, which is very rare to find, not even in 5 star hotels. I would certainly recommend anyone to stay at this hotel and I would definitely stay here on my next visit to Munich.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank ELHNE
Dear guest,

thank you for your amazing recommendation here on TripAdvisor.
We are very happy, that you enjoyed your stay so much.

Hope to welcome you again.

With regards