“Very nice, small hotel”
Review of Hotel Opera

Hotel Opera
Ranked #138 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed November 17, 2008

We stayed here one night only. The hotel is nice, older furnishings, very clean and well stocked. The bedding was good.

The location is good for the Hofbrauhaus and the older area in Munich (the name of the area is escaping me). We were able to walk everywhere from the hotel. We even walked from the main train station to the hotel with luggage after an overnight train from Florence.

One nice thing, we arrived at about 9 am from train station and asked to leave our luggage at the desk. The staff was very kind to allow us to check into our room at that early hour. We were then able to get a shower!!! We were very thankful.

We were concerned about theft as another reviewer stated, however, the room had a safe and nothing was bothered. We did have a two room suite, and we only paid 119 Euros on the Hotel.de website.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Opera

Reviewed June 14, 2008

My wife, teenage daughter and I spent the Easter weekend at Hotel Opera and had a most enjoyable stay! We liked the fact that it is in a residential area yet within easy walking distance of all of the main attractions of the central downtown area. We took the train/metro from the airport to a station within only a couple of blocks from the hotel - very convenient. The daily breakfast was outstanding and the entire hotel had an Olde World charm we really enjoyed. I describe it as the place I'd stay to write my classic novel. We'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled with family
Reviewed February 7, 2008

I had a lot of money stolen from my hotel ropm and suffice it to say that I am convinced that it was an inside job. The management was singularly unhelpful.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank JonahTruth
Reviewed November 19, 2007

My husband uncovered The Opera when booking a brief layover after our wedding- we've been back many time since. Intimate, impeccably decorated with a few tasteful antiques, the Opera located within a residential neighborhood, easy walking distance of sights, restaurants and shops. The staff is helpful, friendly and attentive. Stay in the room with the "winter garden" and splurge on room service breakfast for a leisurely and decadent breakfast in the glass enclosed balcony (with heated floors in winter!)

I'm looking for something in Berlin and wish the Opera had a twin!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2007

I stayed at Hotel Opera for a few nights in December and would never go back. The rooms were overpriced and not as clean as they should have been. We reserved two single beds, and were given one full bed. I asked that the down pillows and comforters be removed or replaced because of allergies, and they were not. The sheets were not changed once during our stay.
One day we returned to the room and found the door unlocked. When I reported it to the front desk their response was, "So?"
The breakfasts, which were quite good, were included in the price of the room but, the one morning I asked for two glasses of juice instead of just one, the juice was served in the tiniest little glasses I've ever seen. It was really cheap on their part.
If I wanted service like this I would have stayed in a youth hostel.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank sesBoston
Reviewed September 18, 2006

We just returned from our second stay at the Opera within a two and a half year period. We found the "Standard" rooms on this particular visit to be below par. The period furnishings are looking worn as are the rugs. The rooms are very small. The bathrooms with these rooms were also tiny.I wouldn't recommend a "Standard" room at this hotel. Perhaps a more expensive room would be better.
Service, breakfast and location are all great.

• Stayed: September 2006
5  Thank Roedel
Reviewed April 15, 2006

After an inauspicious start with a horrible taxi driver who literally threw us on to the snow covered pavement outside the hotel, we were enchanted with the Opera. Set in a great location, we had a gorgeous room at the front, beautifully decorated, with a sitting room. The large size of the room contrasted with the tiny bathroom which could not really fit two people at the same time but was efficiently laid out.

Breakfast was served in a charming room and was good, if a little pricey. I thought it was a bit much to charge 4 euros extra for fresh orange juice. Some of the hotel staff were a little off-hand but that has been my experience everywhere and the assistant (male) concierge could not have been more helpful.

Although the hotel says it has internet access this consists of one laptop in the lobby downstairs and you have to ask the staff to log on for you.

Munich is a wonderful city, we were there between Christmas and New Year when everything was blanketed in snow - make the effort to get out of Munich and see the Bavarian Alps, they are truly lovely.

The food in Munich is to die for, we didn't have one bad meal and prices are very reasonable. I highly recommend La Stanza, an Italian bar/restaurant just a stroll from the hotel where I had the best ravioli I have ever tasted (and I had just spent two months in Italy). We also loved a more traditional place down in a basement just before the arch, turn left when you exit the hotel - this seemed to be popular with locals and the meal was sublime.

The Munchens are charming and really know how to enjoy life, I can't wait to go back there. I had been told in Italy that there is a cross-border love affair between the residents of Munich and Florence, and I can see why. The hotel was packed with Italians on New Year's Eve. My parents will be staying at the Opera in September - my mother insisted and she is very fussy - a testament to the charms of this hotel!!

• Stayed: December 2005