“Location, service, value: all great”
Review of Hotel Opera

Hotel Opera
Ranked #151 of 390 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I stay here whenever visiting Munich on business because of its location. It is in an authentic and trendy neighborhood (Lehel) and convenient to sights, shopping, museums, etc. I checked in quite late this week and immediately felt at home with the warm welcome and efficient reception. This is a boutique style hotel and the rooms are decorated differently. I just loved my room (44) this time. A big bonus is that the hotel is very quiet. The bed is comfy, the bathroom well equipped and it is all very clean. If I were to make one suggestion for the room it would be to include coffee making amenities.
The breakfast area is charming and includes an enclosed garden if you wish to eat outdoors. Everything is made to order: special coffees, omelettes, eggs, fruit salad with or without yoghurt, etc. the staff are helpful and accommodating.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Carolyn S
HotelOperaMunich, Manager at Hotel Opera, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

I truly appreciate your good rating - thank you a lot for taking the time to point out the positive things you experience and value when staying with us.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kind regards

Malte Wiedemeyer / General Manager

Reviewed May 12, 2014

We all loved this unimposing little hotel on St. Anna Strasse in Munich. Super location in a very authentic neighbourhood. Handy to major attractions and shopping, but tucked away from the tourist masses. Gracious lobby and interior courtyard. Spacious well appointed bedrooms.
Best breakfasts ever! And the most accommodating friendly staff we have ever encountered.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here, and hope to return.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms were very spacious. There is no A/C or minibar in the rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank AnneDP86
HotelOperaMunich, Manager at Hotel Opera, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Thank you very much for your positive feedback and kind words. We are extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. The fact that you compliment our breakfast and our employees this way is very motivating for all of us and helps us to do our very best for our guests every day. Again, thank you very much and we are looking forward to welcoming you next time again in the Hotel Opéra.

Kind regards

Malte Wiedemeyer / General Manager

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Chose the hotel for its location, it turned out to be pleasent, causy, very clean, with a tiny breakfast facility and tiny garden/terrace. It is within a few minutes walk from the main shopping pedestrian area, the river, the English Gardens and several museums. You coul not pick a better location in Munich.

It is on a very quiet side street with nearby parking facilities. An easy walk to lots of eating places.

Stayed there with familiy and were all very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sherif
Reviewed February 5, 2014

very central Location, very quiet and stylish little Hotel, private owned. Service is good, the place is clean. there are some nice Restaurants and bars around and you get into the City by Walking. this is great.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Antoine D
Reviewed January 3, 2014

This hotel opera is an elegantly decorated hotel near the city centre. My room came with a balcony which overlooked into a garden!!Breakfast is served high teas style with a triple decker tea set & your own pot of tea! Romantic place!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank taysiewhua
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed here over Christmas with my son and his partner. Booked with Booking .com and when I arrived I was a little surprised…for some reason I thought it was bigger! That being said this turned out to be one of the nicest niche hotels I have stayed in recently. From the Lake District to Munich in a week..quite a change!
We had a deluxe room on the 4th floor(43) and it was superb with a large walk in wardrobe large bedroom with table and 2 chairs,TV and bathroom with shower over bath. Very clean and recently decorated.Bathroom smallish but OK. All very well fitted.Having read other reviews it seems most of the rooms are different and some maybe a little on the small side but both our rooms were very good.
Excellent location on quiet street just off mail road into centre 10 mins walk away or 10mins from some very nice parks to walk in if you need a break from shopping and eating! St Anna Sq 100yds away has a nice selection of restaurants one of which belongs to the hotel and although it was closed over Christmas based on the hotel breakfast I would certainly have given it a go.
The hotel reception areas are quite small and breakfast is served in a series of small areas which makes it a very pleasant experience. In the summer there is an outside area with tables which we did not use. Breakfast was excellent being served at your table and like something I have not experienced before! Fruit salad,choice of eggs and then smoked salmon, cold meats and cheese served up on a beautiful cake stand! Good selection of bread with jam etc and coffee in a really nice silver pot! Looked forward to it each morning!
The bar is 24 hrs but has limited seating. The reception area has multiple long mirrors to give the impression of more space and several times I nearly walked through a door that wasn't there!
The staff were always pleasant and helpful even when they forgot my second pot of coffee from time to time.
There are lots of restaurants within 15 mins to suit all pockets but if you want a real treat try Knuffler Restaurant just off Maximillian Stra. Expensive but really nice.
If you like something a little different this hotel fits the bill very well.

Room Tip: The trick here seems to be to get the right room!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Trevor A
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I must say that I wish I could give the hotel a 5 star rating, however, the price/value ratio for the room we had does not warrant it. The hotel, itself, is absolutely lovely. When you arrive at what may have originally been a private home, you enter by a door that opens automatically, giving the entrant a feeling of royalty. All is light, white and airy on the inside. The garden in the rear of the building is charming, and I only wish we could have come at the time of year when we could have enjoyed it, and taken our breakfast outside.

We had a narrow, slit of a room on the second floor with one of the tiniest bathrooms I've ever had. If we had stayed more than two nights, I would have checked with the front desk to see if they had a larger room. What saved the room was that it had a window overlooking the back garden, which could be opened for fresh air. The storage in the room was phenomenal, as one side of the room was a whole wall of closets and drawers. The bathroom, while teeny, tiny, had been stocked with everything anyone could need, in a very clever manner. I was glad, however, that my husband and I are not large people, because we would have not been able to fit into it. We paid over $350.00 per night for the room, so that the size of the room and bathroom were a disappointment. The other disappointment was that the room did not have a mini-bar or tea/coffee making facility. For the price paid, I think that these amenities should be offered.

The staff were all very nice and efficient. The breakfasts, served at our table were delicious. The location was extremely nice and interesting. The metro is a short walk away and has escalators that make it easy to transport luggage. Although we did not take advantage of the shops and restaurants in the area that is accessed if you turn right out of the hotel, they looked very appealing. The walk to the Marienplatz took about 10 minutes. You turn left out of the hotel and then take the first right. Within a couple of minutes, you are on what I call the Rodeo Drive of Munich, with all of the luxury shopping one could ask for.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple