“Friendly staff and convenient location”
Review of Cosmopolitan Hotel

Cosmopolitan Hotel
Ranked #313 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights while in Munich on business - I arrived early in the morning after an overnight flight, and the staff were so warm and welcoming - they had my key and internet access code ready and waiting, and told me not to worry about sorting out booking/payment details until I'd had a chance to rest. The rooms are pleasant, not too fancy but clean, functional and with pleasant modern artwork. The breakfast buffet was excellent. One thing to watch for in autumn 2012 is the ongoing construction work - it didn't bother me, but you might ask if you are concerned about wanting peace and quiet to sleep in late.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
socialcosmo, Manager at Cosmopolitan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear follower2010,

Thank you for your stay and your charming review about our hotel and team. We would be happy to welcoming you soon again in Munich....

Kind regards

Christoph Grödl
Hotel Manager

There are newer reviews for Cosmopolitan Hotel

Reviewed June 16, 2012

I have been working in Munich and usually stayed for 2 - 4 day but at one point in time I was there for almost 3 weeks. The rooms are simple but very functional. I don't need the posh stuff of a Hilton, I need a comfy bed and a good nights sleep. The breakfast buffet is fantastic and was included in price of the room. The price compared to a lot of other hotels in the area is more realistic for what you are getting. The staff really makes the difference here. My German is limited and they were always ready to help and make arrangements for me. They ordered a cab for me and suggested that I pay the cab price at the hotel that way I could just grab my bags and head for the flight.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank HKflash
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

Thank you for your positiv feedback. We are happy that you are always choosing the Cosmopolitan Hotel for your time in Munich. I will forward your praise about our staff to them.

Hope to see you soon again.

Kind regards

Kerstin Müller
Cusmomer Relations

Reviewed May 25, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights whilst in Munich for the Champions League Final. Easy to get to from central station. Staff all very pleasant and spoke better English than our German. We luckily had a room at the back with the balcony overlooking the courtyard. Not much of a view but better than being at the front of hotel overlooking the street. Room was basic but very clean as was the bathroom. Glad we only had limited luggage as may have struggled with this in the tiny lift. Room rate was well over what we would typically pay but given the event that weekend to be expected. Rate didn't include breakfast and really glad we didn't pay €10 each for this as it looked rather basic. Free wi-fi though which is always an added bonus.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CFC_Chick
Reviewed May 25, 2012

The Hotel is better than the appearance outside. We had a Standard Room facing the backyard, with a small, non-furnished balcony. The room was small and offered Minibar, Flatscreen, free Wifi, but no safe; furnitures are little bit outdated. It was basically quiet apart from slamming doors in the corridor, and if you are sensitive to noise you better bring your earplugs. The pillows are flat and not very comfortable but I am sure you can ask for a 2nd set. The bathroom was clean and small with not enough space to place your stuff however the shower had great water pressure. In summery the rooms are clean, convenient and simple. Staff is friendly and helpful. Breakfast (plus 11Euro) offers a variety of fresh fruits, muesli, cheese, eggs and delicious coffee choices. Garage is convenient as you wouldn't find any parking space around (plus 14 euro p.d.). The location in the middle of Schwabing is great, just a 10 minutes walk to the English Garden, shops, restaurants and bars in front of the hotel, the subway is in 5 minutes walking distance and within 3 stations your are in the center - or you easily walk 2,5 km along the lively Leopold Street.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We stayed at the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Munich for 3 nights in May 2012. We were in Munich for football (European Champions League final).

The hotel is accessed via a gap between shops onto a courtyard. It’s wide enough to take a car and there is a garage entrance there. The hotel is located close to some bars and just 3 stops on the Metro from the tourist area, Marienplatz. It is also only around 7 stops south of the Allianz Arena, Bayern Munich’s stadium.

Back to the hotel, which is very dated. The elevator is old, and is actually on a half floor from the ground floor, so steps are needed to get to it. The room was clean, although also dated. Twin beds were comfy enough. The bathroom did its job. We didn’t try the TV. The balcony looked out over the road below. The door to the balcony was sticky, and needed a kick to open.

The staff were helpful enough, spoke perfect English, and were keen to assist with marking a map with the places we requested. There isn’t a bar at the hotel, but the reception desk has two beer pumps! Yes, you can stand at the reception desk and have a beer. Breakfast is just continental, and to be truthful it was disappointing.

The hotel wasn’t cheap, either, considering its age and upkeep situation, and also despite booking rooms back in August (9 months before travel). There was a free cancellation up ‘til 7-days before departure, so we booked them when the location of the football final was known. But it did work out cheaper than what others who hadn’t booked so far in advance had ended up paying.

I’d stay there again, if I had to, but it won’t be my first choice.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 2, 2012

This hotel will not disappoint if one expects a hotel to provide a clean, hygienic, comfortable room to rest and sleep. Do not expect the most modern hardwares or luxurious trappings. It has none. It does not have air-conditioning during the summer months too. I'm not sure if the in-room temperature will be bearable when the mercury goes beyond 28 degrees.

I was on a business trip in Munich and stayed at the hotel for 9 nights. It is a no-frills hotel. What it lacks in the ubiquitous conveniences such as in-room disposable slippers or personal grooming items available in Asian hotels of similar price bracket, this hotel makes up for them by having a high standard of upkeep.

The location and its environ are ideal. Clean and safe. A subway station and line that connects directly to the city centre is only a 5 minutes walk away. One could also take a leisurely stroll down the boulevard to the city centre in 25 minutes when the weather is agreeable. Supermarkets, bakeries, cafes, restaurants and departmental stores are all within a 3-minutes walking radius.

If there were any peeves during my pleasant stay, they were minor to me.
- The WiFi coverage was good but I had to call front-desk every so often to get the password reset.
- The breakfast spread was substantial and of quality. But after 4 days I had to supplement my breakfast with purchases from the bakeries nearby.
- The single lift that serves my wing is small, old and slow. I used the stairs to avoid the wait. For those with big and heavy luggage, there will be a short flight of stairs to overcome to get to the lift landing from the lobby.
- No ironing board and iron in the room. One has to request and queue for them to press those creased business shirts.

I would stay here again, especially if I'm on business.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank seekgunn
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Stayed there one night in January. The staff was very helpful. The hotel reception is in a courtyard off the street, which itself is not a min street. So it tends to be fairly quiet. The room was clean, in good shape and quiet if one requests a room facing away from the street towards the courtyard. The breakfast was very good with a wide selection of foods.

Room Tip: a few floors up and facing the courtyard will be quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business