“Not the greatest”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Olympic
Ranked #214 of 389 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights with a friend, and we were a little disappointed with it. The rooms were not air-conditioned, and it was just too hot in the room. We managed to move, but it was still very hot, even with the window open. and lots of night noise. Breakfast was very average - and although the desk staff, Stephan, was helpful in recommending restaurants, I would not stay there again. And be aware, this hotel is in the gay district of Munich - and there were very suggestive paintings on the walls!

Room Tip: Try and get one at the back.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank trubshawe

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed here on my third visit to Munich and would not stay again. The hotel was expensive, and the rooms poor. It was like a sauna in the first room we were given and we couldn't open the windows as the noise from the bars in the street was unbearable. Because we wanted twin beds, were told it was the only room in the Hotel however we moved to a room at the back that was just as noisy and hot. Breakfast was served in a beautiful room but was limited in choice and not particularly special. Also horrible was the "art" - many pictures were not suitable for public display. The Hotel is in the middle of the gay area, which is very lively and buzzing with bars and clubs and some very good restaurants but if you want peace and quiet stay away from here! The staff, however, was lovely.

Room Tip: Rooms to front noisy from bar, and to back noisy too as they back on to flats.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Being a frequent traveler to Munich this little hotel stays on top of my list, yet frequently booked. Ambiance is much nicer than the photos suggest, reception sports changing, gallery-grade artwork. Location is really nice, centrally located, yet outside the beaten tourist areas. I like to take plenty of time for the breakfast there and relax with a newspaper, coffee and the quality buffet. Room are classic, clean & relatively simple. Wifi works great now.

Room Tip: double rooms are notably larger, ask for double room single occupancy if alone. Back rooms are very...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank stefanowitsch212
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The Holocaust Tour I took with ProCom was beyond my wildest expectations! The accomodations were first rate and so was the food! This was the first tour of any kind I had ever taken and quite frankly, I am now spoiled! I truly believe that ProCom Tours are the gold standard to which all other tour companies should aspire!
Our tour guides were not only knowledable, they had no fear of questions, and with educators in our group, we asked some pretty hard questions. As a graduate student doing research for my thesis, it was imperative that I be able to see for myself and I was able to do that.
We had the opportunity to 'ad-lib' a bit on our tour, resulting in our group seeing the 'statue park' in Budapest where the Communist era statuary was put after the fall of Communism. This appeared nowhere in any brochure I saw, but our guide, Charlie, had no problem adjusting our program to allow for this amazing look at history!
I am looking forward to making another trip, this time for the Berlin tour, in the next year. For me, if ProCom isn't going, neither am I. I can honestly say I will not even consider another tour company - ProCom is THAT GOOD!

Room Tip: The breakfast buffet that is available in the morning is one of the best I have ever seen and well w...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 24, 2012

OK-full disclosure here--it was actually 2 1/2 years ago that I stayed here on my first trip to Europe, during Oktoberfest. Found it through a favorable guidebook review, and decided to stay here despite finding it odd there were so few reviews on this site. Today I noticed that is still the case, and believe this place deserves a much higher rating.

I had no problems booking here despite the popular time of year (I did reserve several months ahead), and my inexperience planning an overseas trip. I remember the hotel to be charming, comfortable, reasonably-priced (for Munich) and centrally-located for our plans. The Oktoberfest grounds are maybe a mile or so walk in one direction, the city center (and the subway stop) is a few blocks in another direction, and the park-lined river is just a short stroll in a third.

There's a very good restaurant (Faun) right at the end of the street, and a pharmacy and small market are just a few doors away. There is also a nightclub nearby so I had requested a room away from the street and was glad I did. Hopefully more Tripadvisor viewers will discover this hotel option in the future.

Room Tip: Request a room in back away from the street
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PmanTraveller
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Hotel Olympic was one of the nicest city hotels my husband and I have ever stayed in. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful. Lovely, central yet quiet location. Clean, light, spacious room. Beautifully comfortable bed. All round excellence.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the courtyard to the rear would be really quiet. We had a room on the front, whi...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank M A
Reviewed April 10, 2007

My boyfriend and I visited Munich in April for two nights after the Easter holiday.

I had researched online various Munich hotels and wasn't interested in spending an arm and a leg for our stay, but wanted something special.

Since we were coming from Vienna and, I guess, a somewhat "high-design" hotel there, I thought the Hotel Olympic sounded like a nice change - the reviews I read online and in the NY Times made it seem like it was a renovated hotel in simple, modern finishes with choice pieces of art deco furniture. It sounded warmer than the glass and chrome boutique hotels that are so popular today.

While we were impressed by the friendliness of the hotel staff (they were very welcoming and helpful with restaurant recommendations) I was thoroughly disappointed with the hotel's overall appearance and amenities. I may have just outted myself as a hotel snob, but what was supposed to be charming was either unattractive or unusable. The beds, while beautiful dark wood antiques, were two twin beds squeezed together which left a very uncomfortable chasm between the two small mattresses, not to mention a painfully hard bed frame separating them as well. The beds again proved a problem in watching the television since the footboard cropped any comfortable viewing of the small, 13 inch TV set that sat on a table at the foot of the bed. Speaking of the TV, it was also about 15 years old - fine for a television in the guest room of your Aunt's house, but in the day and age of cheap and ubiquitous flat-screens I find it hard to pay $150 Euro a night for a room with no remote control. Lastly, the bathroom featured a small shower with a plastic curtain and painfully bright lights. We faced what we first thought was a lovely courtyard, however, upon further inspection realized it was a shared interior of an apartment building with the comings and goings of residents (again, fine in other circumstances, but too loud for a hotel stay).

Having had such lovely breakfasts all over Europe, we were hopeful that the Hotel Olympic would at least follow suit there. Wrong. While it did offer all of the standard buffet fare (fruit salad, pastries, etc) things felt as though they had been sitting there a while as items were not being refreshed if they had been used up, such as empty juice pitchers or baskets that contained crumbs, and no croissants.

All in all, my boyfriend and I saw the hotel's charm - it's location is in a fun area with many good eateries - but we were perplexed by what we had read prior to our arrival in reviews and what we actually encountered. We are a young couple and saw no other guests under the age of 50 during our time there which made for a kind of drowsy visit. He and I dislike party hotels, but here we felt particularly self-conscious speaking at normal voice volumes, etc.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an old fashioned hotel experience. Everyone was accommodating and the hotel feels clean and well-kept, but it just lacked certain things we looked forward to when visiting big city hotels. Had this been a stop-over in a smaller town, the Hotel Olympic would have been perfectly suitable. However, we changed hotels the second night of our stay in Munich to the Cortiina and were glad to have made the change.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank globefodder