“Nothing wrong with this that a lick of paint wouldn't fix - great shower & breakfast”

Hotel Deutsches Theater
Ranked #291 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here for three nights on a short break - the location is 5 min to 15 min walking distance for a number of Under and S-bahn stations. The Breakfast was good and had variety every day - good value for money I thought. The staff were generally okay - some needed to be "coaxed" for helping find out information for us on local events through the internet, and equally they were very forth coming when the weather was bad and they had Umberella availbel to hire for 10Euros. The level of English was great for all staff. The Bedroom was clean, and bed was very comfortable and bed linen spotless. THE SHOWER WAS AMAZING. My room had an unfortunate coffee spill all up the wall and the hallways could have all used a coat of paint but to be fair you see the wall coverings they had up were (once) very good quality. The others guests were of all ages, nationalities , shapes and sizes which for me is a good sign. We had some very late nights out in the Munich bars but I didn't feel uncomfortable with the area late at night. The rooms didn't have safes but I didn't feel uncomfortable leaving my stuff in the draws and cupboards. It was nice to see big brass door keys for a change rather than plastic 'corporate' cards.
I WOULD STAY HERE AGAIN ON A SIMILAR SORT OF TRIP & BUDGET.

Room Tip: We had a street facing room. The noise was EXTREMELY low but next time I'd ask for a room facing...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Paul P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here simply as a last resort because al the hostels in the area were booked up and were instantly regretful.
The website advertises air conditioning which does not exist, the windows in the rooms open only a tiny amount and as a result our room was stifling.
The place is in need of some renovations (old rattly lift) and the wifi was temperamental at best.
If you have time do some research into other places; there's heaps of hotels in that particular neighborhood near the station and I can only assume for that price you'll be able to find one a bit nicer

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Backpacker1994

Travelers are raving about these Munich hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2013

First, the hotel is under renovation. I called the reception before arrival and asked how bad it was. The answer was that it had not been so bad. This is not true. The noise begins at 6am and finishes close to 7pm. The room is then filled with toxic smell. Not great for a family with children, or anyone else.
Second, the location is not good. It is in a shady area of Munich, with sex shops, drug addicts and more.
On a positive side, the people, who work there, are very helpful. The room was clean, the shower was spotless, and overall, they are doing the best they can in a difficult situation.

Room Tip: I guess ask for a room that looks to the street (not to the courtyard). It is counter-intuitive, but...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AnnaShter
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The booking nor the hotel confirmation disclosed that the Hotel is currently under renovation and that it is located within the "sex bar" district. People yelling through the night made it impossible to sleep. The room renovation wasn't complete. Paying $140 a night for this place is crazy....for sure.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed July 14, 2013

hotel in a great location, close to the safe car park, very friendly helpful staff, excellent breakfast and access to the wifi. large rooms, clean bathrooms. you can see the splendor of the hotel year is behind us, but it is still maintained in good condition and has its climate. I wish to emphasize again that breakfast was better than in many other Munich "higher class" hotels. worth a visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank exception79
Jamberoo, Australia
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Location: Be careful not mix up the two hotels both named Hotel Deutsches Theater . they back onto each other however one is 18 Landwehrsrasse, Munich and the other is 15 Schwanthalerstrasse, Munich. We have previously stopped in the Landweirhrstrasse hotel, the staff were good but found noise problems, the non smoking rooms smelt of smokers, other than that it was OK. This trip we thought we had reservations for the same hotel until we arrived at reception and found that we had inadvertently booked the other hotel by mistake. Thats fine it gave us a chance to compare the two hotels. We found this hotel to be in a equally great location. Arriving in Munich by rail the hotel is a 10 minute walk from the Hauptbahnhof. After a 5 minute walk from the hotel you could find yourself in the Old Town area, Marienplatz etc.
The hotel in 15 Schwanthalerstrasse is in our opinion is fresher and the better of the two.
Unfortunately you may end up questioning yourself, have I arrived In Munich, Germany or some middle Eastern Country, as a large percentage seem to only speak some Arabian language rather than the language of the country they choose to live in. But I guess that this is not unique to Munich.
Staff: Friendly, helpful and informative and able to speak English.
Accommodation: The rooms are Quiet (Double glazed windows), comfortable, clean and spacious. The hotel provide a good buffet breakfast.
Would I Recommend: Definitely

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jimmyd3
Boston, MA
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I loved this hotel. I also happened to get it for a great deal (around $65 a night on Hotels.com -- I think it was off-season because it was in November). Anyway, for the price, it was a really nice hotel. The room included a beautiful cherry-finished armoire and a flat-screen TV. It's in a very convenient location from the main train station -- only a few minutes' walk. There's also lots of shopping and restaurants close by. The area can be a tad iffy, but I generally felt safe and had no problems.

My complaints are pretty minor: there was a pretty good buffet breakfast available (scrambled eggs, pastries, etc. -- the eggs were only OK, but the coffee was delicious), and they mentioned it to me at check-in, so I went down and had breakfast each morning. Then when I checked out, they asked if I had breakfast, and then charged me an extra 9 euro a day for it. That's fine if they want to charge, but I feel like I wasn't adequately warned when I checked in that I would be charged. Also, the staff at the front desk was pretty grumpy during my entire stay. And there was some construction going on around the building when I was there (November 2012), but I didn't hear any construction noise when I was in the hotel. Also, there was a computer with Internet available for guests' use in the lobby, but it was sooooooo slow.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends