“Excellent service, great location, nice rooms”

Ranked #6 of 387 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed November 29, 2013

What can you say - I think the headline says it all!

Location:
Right in the heart of Munich, literally next to the Hofbräuhaus and in walking distance to museums, shops and restaurants.

Service:
Exactly the service you would expect. The team went out of their way to give us a great time. Moreover, they found out that it was my birthday and even delivered a Christmas cake to the room (as we had previously asked for good cake places). I can only say - very attentive.

Rooms:
We had a room in the top floor overlooking Munich. The room had all amenities you would be looking for including state of the art TV/DVD system. Big bathroom, good products.

Tip:
Try the Alm, a mountain ski hut which they have on top of the roof (usually this is their summertime pool and bar). Great, authentic experience, good food and good fun!

Others:
The only question I'm asking myself is why does a hotel like the MO (charging already a fortune for the room) needs to ask for EUR 8/hour or EUR 18/day for wireless internet in the rooms?

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank aloha75
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear aloha75,
It was a pleasure reading your marvelous comments on the occasion of your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Munich. I am delighted to learn that we have met your expectations and that you enjoyed your visit. There is no better reward than our guests’ satisfaction. In regards to internet I would like to inform you that you receive complimentary high speed internet when booking a published rate on our website and creating an online profile. In addition, our Suite Package includes free internet. We are looking forward to your return visit – maybe in summer in order to enjoy our roof terrace.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

This is a 5-star world class facility in every sense of the word.

We spent one night at the Mandarin Oriental on our way through to Salzburg and then were pulled back to stay a long weekend for my wife's birthday before returning home.

The staff is superb in both their warmth, friendly, accessible demeanor and efficiency. It is so nice to be acknowledged by name through the day. The hotel public areas and rooms have been very tastefully upgraded to a very high standard while maintaining a warmth that can be lost in "modernization," especially in Europe where minimalist modern decor sometimes crosses the line into the downright stark. But not the Mandarin, even though our flat screen TV was a Bang & Olufsen that featured power rotation to face the viewer! This was not your minimum cost mass-purchase LG setup but typical of the Mandarin Oriental's superb mastery of the details.

Our first room was a very comforable Deluxe Junior Suite, which featured a separate sitting room. Upon our return, the same category room was not available, and sitting area of the Junior Suite was within the sleeping area. However, more than adequate to be sure.

The location, of course, is perfect with the Rathaus and the center of Old Town just a 3-minute walk. The only downside is the entrance facing the incredibly narrow Neuturmstrasse, making arriving by private car a bit of a challenge mitigated by parking with the right two wheels placed on the sidewalk.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank paddock_rat
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear paddock_r...,
Thank you so much for taking your time to share with us your experience at Mandarin Oriental, Munich. I am thrilled to learn that your stay was pleasant and that you appreciated our high service standards. Your kind words of appreciation are a great encouragement to my team. I am pleased that you do rate the hotel “World Class”. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the capital of Bavaria and in our beautiful Mandarin Oriental, Munich in the near future. Thank you for being such a wonderful and supportive ‘FAN’!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Ever wonder how Mandarin culture could fit into scrunchy German culture? Masterfully! Located near Marienplatz and the center of Munich, MO is in an old building, but the rooms are spacious and the bathrooms luxurious -- modern amenities in an old building with wonderful high ceilings. Service MO-maculate. A definite stay for visitors to Munich.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Riosupermom
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear Riosuperm... ,
I would like to thank you for your nice comment which is much appreciated. It makes us happy that you love our hotel and the way how we fit the Mandarin Oriental culture with the feeling of a sense of place. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you again to Mandarin Oriental, Munich.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I stood for 2 days in this hotel and enjoyed the athmosphare of a five-star hotel in a very busy city. Service is excellent, rooms are big and nice furnished and the bathroom gives you all amenities you need to relax.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank swk42
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear swk42,
Thank you very much for your kind comment. It makes us very happy that you enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you again at Mandarin Oriental, Munich in the near future.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

It's been a year since coming here for New Year's 12-2013. From my entrance to sitting at my desk has this been a pleasure of unexpected pleasures. Under Mr. Greiner's management (which is different from last year), Aud at the front desk anticipates by hand-selecting my rooftop, cozy, completely outfitted room 711, Viktor the Concierge raised to the occasion on a few rare tasks on a Sunday evening, Tim at the bar was the first person in YEARS who served my wine as wine should be served: half in a glass, half on ice chilled, and with an assortment of sweet and savory additions (all as a complimentary welcome back to the property), my maid opened the windows to air out the room romantically refreshingly, and private dining served up some amazing Weiner Schnitzel for me to eat alone, but in style, on a single, chic, comfortable tray. I'd recommend this hotel to ANYONE in ANY city near Munich, as it's THE place to stay, bringing both kudos and blessings to the Mandarin Oriental chain/line of hotels. While there is not much in the line of "Asian-themed" MO touches beyond the multi-cultural menu, there distinct touches of German hospitality abound and prove unendingly meritorious. Thank you all for an hospitable stay and I'm really--for the first time in ages--crying inside that I have to leave my room!

Room Tip: Room 711 is just the best in the building....come when the rooftop is ready and not under constructi...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
9  Thank globaltravelkid
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Dear Lawrence,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share these fantastic comments on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Munich. As it is our aim to satisfy and delight our guests I am very happy that my wonderful team provided best service. It’s a pleasure to read that you appreciated our high service standards and that you liked your room. My team is grateful for your kind words which were well received. We all at Mandarin Oriental, Munich can’t wait to welcome you again at our hotel which we hope will be in the near future. Thank you for being such a wonderful and supportive “FAN”.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Mandarin oriental is my favorite hotel in Munich and it certainly live to its reputation. I highly recommend it, central location, good food. The gym is a bit small however it is up to date with equipment.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank MQ A
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear Moaffaq E,
I am delighted to learn that you enjoy staying at our hotel and that you appreciate our service standard. It will be a pleasure to welcoming you again at Mandarin Oriental, Munich in the near future.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I'm writing in the midst of my stay, which is rare but I am so disappointed that I have to fire away.

The room and amenities are all you'd expect from a 5-star hotel that's ranked No. 1 in Tripadvisor for Munich's hotels (NOTE: the WIFI isn't free and costs 18 Euro/day,) but the service falls far short. I have requested a few bookings for restaurants (one of them is within the hotel) and ballet, and only on one occasion I actually got a confirmation, while the other times I had to call and chase for a yes/no so that I could go on with my day plan. The latest episode goes that after an entire day of my reservation request, I was told that the restaurant was full and that the concierge was 'trying for alternatives' (which I never heard back on.) It wasn't very helpful that I had to come back to the hotel in the midst of my exploration of the city just to hear that my reservation wasn't successful and I'd much prefer it if they could have made the call earlier.

The mini-bar is complimentary, but housekeeping apparently didn't check it often and I had to call for refill.

And please, can I have a teapot to make the Earl Grey in the jar labelled 'Pi Lo Chun' (a Chinese green tea that is NOT Earl Grey.) With just 2 short Chinese porcelain cups it's hard to make teas without burning your fingers or making a mess when straining the leaves. It's not too much to ask from a hotel who had me waiting for an hour at check-in because 'they had to get the last details right', I hope.

I'm normally an easygoing traveller, but with the price tag I do feel that the hotel is seriously under-performing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the multi-level carpark.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank DearGlobe

Dear DearGlobe,
Thank you for having taken the time to post your observations on the occasion of your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Munich. We take guest comments serious as it helps to improve our service. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations in some areas. This is certainly not our usual standard and I would like to apologize for the shortcomings at the concierge desk. I also regret that we failed to refill the minibar and did not automatically provide a teapot. Once again, I would like to thank you for your honest comments. I hope that these incidents have not tarnished your image of Mandarin Oriental, Munich and look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel.