“5 Stars with some issues”

Ranked #3 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Denmark
“5 Stars with some issues”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Spent 3 days in Munich in May. Been to munich before several times, but first attempt at staying at the Mandarin in Munich. Have some previous Mandarin experience. My review will be balanced on the location, price, quality (perceived), quality (realised) and overall comparison to similar chains.

The good.
As others have mentioned the location is very very good. Right behind Maximillianstrasse, and all the shopping venues you could possibly wish for. The room I was issued (Mandarin Room) was handsomely sized at - approx 50m2. Very high ceilings and beautiful hardwood floors. I had roomservice 3 times, which in each case had good quality food - and the room service prices were very fair for Munich and the type of hotel. The (albeit limited) minibar was included in the price, which is fairly rare in the bigger luxe chains. The room electronics worked well and the massive B&O LCD was excellent as was the entertainment system interface. I especially liked the snappiness of the entertainment system and the language search feature (so you don't have to trawl thru 89 german channels if you don't understand a word of german).

Now for the not so great. While I respect that this property was fairly recently renovated there is a few things that puzzle me. The carpet in the lobby - is just ghastly. It resembles a las vegas casino carpet form the 1980's. The building is so classy. The rooms are classy - why is the lobby and reception/bar area so weirdly laid out? When you enter the lobby you are first greeted by a colum in the middle of the room - the lobby is oddly shaped and the bar is a weird appendage to the room. In the middle there's a large empty space - and a tiny reception desk. Just makes no sense to me. I understand that the building has a certain age and can not be altered greatly, but surely, colour, composition and furniture placement can be improved ?

Upon booking I had a weird experience. I email the front desk asking for a late check-out (especially considering I arrived at midnight, not an unreasonable request). They return to me - saying that they are really busy on my check-out date and can offer me a 2pm check-out time. OK, I ask - can we do 4pm ? (I know - stretching it - but most luxe places can make it work) - They return - oh no - way too busy. OK -I say - i'll take 2pm. They then offer me a 4pm check-out if I want to pay an additional 300+ euros. What? Either they are busy - no problem. But how can they offer a late check-out at a 300 euro expense if the room is booked for someone else?

Upon arriving (late) we experienced, no bell-boys, no concierge, 1 reception lady. Hauling bags in our selves, we were then offered a free drink in the bar - on the arrival day. As I was not really in the mood for guzzling booze at midnight after flying in, I asked - "hey - thanks for the offer - much appreciated - but would you mind if do that tomorrow?" - Obviously the poor girl in reception did not expect that question - and their script was not prepared for it. Uhmm... I don't know... Wow - really ? A front desk receptionist can't make a what - 10 euro decision ? - I let the poor girl off the hook and said, fine - no problem - just let us know tomorrow. Of course no one ever did. While a couple of free drinks is hardly a major parameter while spending 700 euros a night, it shows lack in the training - and even worse - no ability to follow up.

Interestingly the elevators did not have key card controls - I actually found that a bit odd considering that we several times experienced no front desk staff at the bellboy stand. The layout of the reception area means that a nicely dressed motivated individual can go directly into the elevators without being seen by the reception staff. Of course i'm sure the whole place is covered in CCTV, but I noticed it, and i'm sure other travellers did as well.

The bellboy stand was a spectacle in itself. Varied wildly. The concierge with the clefs d' Or was in that area from time to time, and service was tight and quick. When the two bellboys were there (when they were there) - seemed confused and stressed out. Service ranged from obnoxious (Yes, I can order a cab to Arabellestrasse without them asking the taxi driver 4 times if he's sure where it is - he knows. I know. You don't). At least one of the gents did not have neither english or german as his first language, and was very hard to understand. At one point (early in the stay) I was even asked for a room number before he wanted to give me an umbrella. Really? At other times, it was quick and simple. I guess staff experience varied greatly.

Regarding the rooms - as mentioned above - they were over all great. I do however agree with the other reviewer who called the bathrooms grotesque. I do agree. I was aware of it though - having trawled thru numerous tripadvisor pictures to ascertain the bathroom configuration. The marble is to be quite honest - abricot colored and horrible. Two really not nice things about this, was first - there seems to have been some sort of lacquer applied to the marble, but every spec of water or spots, previous to this lacquer finish shows up really easy in the strong halogen lights. Especially around the toilet and shower areas. Eww. Also the dark and brown stains in the marble makes it really hard to see what is dirt - and what is marble. I noticed a long brownish stripe of what appeared to be food on the side of the bathtub, looked like a marble shade, but was in fact dirt. I understand that the poor maid does not have a chance in the world to see such details. Again... The marble was a the Vegas casino carpet of tiles. Not nice. Also it seemed like it had repairs around the area where the retrofitted TV and wall hanging haridryer (really?) was fitted. The toiletries were a delight though. And besides from the glass shards upon checking in - not cleaned up from a previous guest mishap (which I stepped on, only minor blood loss) and the leftover cleaning agent in the tub (white powder), the room and bathroom was spotless.

One last thing. As far as I could ascertain almost all views (City, Hofbrauhaus, etc) in fact face a very large parking structure. By looking at the floor layout plan, I'd say that at least 60% of the rooms will face that monstrosity. You have been warned.

Altogether, the Mandarin Oriental - Munich does try hard. The hardware is certainly there and with a bit more effort it can be a top site in Germany. Personally, I think they would be toast if a Park Hyatt or Four Seasons opened up shop tomorrow - but then again, that is unlikely.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank MorganJ
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear MorganJ,
Many thanks for your detailed comment on Mandarin Oriental, Munich.
The carpet in the lobby as well as the marble bathrooms are obviously a matter of individual taste. Until your comment, we never had any negative remarks concerning the carpet in the lobby.
Although you comment on some issues which I read with interest, I am delighted to learn how much you still appreciated your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Munich and want to thank you for your positive overall assessment of four points.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again
Yours sincerely,
Mandarin Oriental, Munich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Amazing. I never knew how good customer service could be until I stayed here. We were in a suite for three nights, and I honestly don't have one complaint. Yes it's pricey, but in this case, you pay for what you get. We arrived much earlier than planned due to a flight change, and the staff couldn't have been more accommodating - our room wasn't quite ready, but they gave us a place to change clothes (it had been a long flight) and comped us beverages in the restaurant.

The room was spotless and spacious, and it even included an adapter for our electronics! The bathroom was huge, and I loved the complimentary minibar and fruit upon arrival. We needed the concierge's assistance securing train tickets to Vienna, and - Murphy's Law - Visa decided to put a fraud hold on my credit card as soon as he tried to purchase them. I was super embarrassed, but he and the front desk staff couldn't have been nicer, helping me place an international call and even jokingly (?) offering to let me use their credit card when it didn't work a second time.

The hotel breakfast was delicious - the kitchen staff would make anything you wanted, and the buffet included meats, cheeses, pretzels, yogurt, the most delicious muesli I've ever had, fruits, pastries, danishes, etc. I'm getting hungry again just thinking about it! We had dinner one night at Mark's, and the service and food were five star. Our waiters and waitresses remembered us every day, and the bartender knew "my" drink after one day.

As others have said, the location is great and within walking distance of the Marienplatz and train station and literally next to the Hofbrauhaus. If you get a higher floor, the view is pretty spectacular, too. Unfortunately, the roof was closed when we were there, but the rest of the hotel was so awesome, I didn't mind.

2 Thank Vandelay37
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Vandelay37,
What a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay at the Mandarin Oriental, Munich. We would like to thank you for your kind words about the staff and the kitchen team. It is very important to us to make our guests perfectly happy.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again to Mandarin Oriental, Munich and I hope you will enjoy the breakfast as much as you did before.
Thank you for sharing such fantastic comments on Tripadvisor
Singapore
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I reviewed this hotel back in 2011. I been back a few times always on my own. This time I brought my wife and our 3yr old, quite frankly because I trust this hotel. After a 12hr flight with a 3yr old you need a great hotel and the MO in Munich didn't let us down.

Location is good, building is great, room was wonderful, breakfast is amazing but that's not what makes a good hotel, it's the staff. Without exception every member of staff from the doorman to the maid was great. Very pleasant attitude, great service, friendly etc. They really make the difference. I'll give you an example - at breakfast we ordered hot chocolate for our son (who had been awake from 2am with jet lag). The waitress brought it whilst my wife and I were looking at the buffet. I started to rush back but she had already pored extra milk in it so that it wasn't too hot for him. Just one small example (of which there were many, where the staff thought about things).

I think this is an extremely well run hotel and one of the best Mandarin Orientals I've stayed in. They've done a good job on the roof with the bar, which in summer has some great views. There are only two problems - the bill and the fact my family can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Higher floors are better and if you don't mind the stairs the top floor is best.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Green_kermit,
Your family and you seemed to have had a fantastic time! It is a great pleasure to read it and thank you for sharing so many different and detailed praises.
We are very much looking forward to welcoming you and your family again in Mandarin Oriental, Munich.
Yours sincerely,
Waxhaw, North Carolina
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Mandarin was our first stop on a three city trip and and it set the standard for service, comfort and luxury. The entire staff, in particular Dominick the Concierge, were a delight. We were upgraded to an apartment like Tower Suite upon arriving and couldn't wait to return to it at the end of the day. The amenities and furnishings would make anyone feel at home. Splendid linens and cleanliness in our suite. I've already ordered a Nespresso machine which I enjoyed everyday in the convenience of my room. Location was perfect for sightseeing, eating or strolling. Wish there were more Mandarin hotels in Europe.
Don't miss this one.

Dear Penny D,
Reading your comments is most rewarding and do most certainly flatter us. To know how much you enjoyed the amenities, the decoration, the linens the Nespresso Machine and so many other features. It is great to learn your impressions on Mandarin Oriental, Munich and thank you for recommending our hotel.
We hope you won’t miss an opportunity to visit the Bavarian Capital and allow us to welcoming you again in our house.
Kind regards,
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 27, 2013

A hotel of this standing must be able to meet the highest standards for every guest. The Mandarin Oriental is a splendid hotel offering very high levels of customer service.

The hotel is conveniently located in the Munchener Altstadt just a few meters of Maximilianstrasse (if that interests you) and Marienplatz. Marienplatz also is where to find all public transportation options. Not actually at your doorstep, but more than good enough.

We actually only used our room; we did not visit a restaurant, the pool (too cold weather) nor the fitness centre. The hotel invited us for a drink in the bar. We accepted the invitation but didn't find the bar very relaxing. Nice live piano music (too loud for us) but staff, though extremely friendly and customer oriented, did not make us feel "home" nor "relaxed"; they made a somewhat stressed out impression to us, though that might be a total misinterpretation accountable to our view of the world only.

Check-in was very friendly, but though we arrived at 14:30 our room was not yet ready. No problem, had to do some small shopping anyway. And after 20 minutes the room was in perfect shape indeed, as promised. The room was spacious and offers all features and amenitied one would expect........but coffee/tea making facilities. Why? The miinar is included in the room rate; surprisingly Internet access costs EUR 18 a day if not in a suite or of not booked with a business package.

We received room 206, beautifully located on a corner of the hotel at the end of the hallway. The room, as pointed out by the staff, was located next to an emergency exit and the stairs. Unfortunately, this "feature" turned out to be a rather dissapointing one. The exit is also heavily used by hotel staff since there is a freight elevator located in the stairway. Secondly, the stairway also connected our room directly to the kitchen on the first floor. Not only direct sounds (voices, clings and clungs) but even more importantly indirect noises bumps, scratches etc were transmitted through the stairway and the walls.......basically 24 hrs a day. It made sleeping uncomfortable...it is like people entering a room next doors and nstalling the,selves in one of those cheaper chain hotels.....the ones you are trying to avoid when selecting the Mandarin.

We decided *not* to make a complaint during our stay, but only when checking out. Hotel staff immediately reacted that we should have given them a call and that they would have arranged a different room for us. I really trust in that, but again: WE decided not to do so since we were otherwise comfortable in our room and didn't want to consider the hassle of complaining and the moving all our stuff.

My point here is that this issue MUST be structurally solved by the Mandarin Oriental Munich. A customer paying like eur400-500 a night should not even have the slightest chance of this kind of problem. If the problem is new to them (which I find hard to believe) I'm happy to advice on the nature of the problem and what to solve.

Anyway, we had a wonderfull stay at the Mandarin and would definitely stay there again, though not in room 206. It is a pity that this issue overshadows this review, but I fear that charging this kind of rates a customer may expect nothing but perfection. And what is the prime purpose of a hotel: sleeping! But my sleep was mildly, but definitely disturbed 3 nights in a row.

I would definitely recommend the Mandarin Oriental Munich to anybody considering it.

Room Tip: Avoid room 206
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Mknops,
It is a delight to learn that you had a wonderful stay and thank you for praising so beautifully the Mandarin Oriental, Munich in so many ways.
Concerning the noises and disturbance you have experienced I would like to personally apologize. I wish you would have notified us earlier, so we would have made our best to find you another quieter room. Thank you though for giving us your feedback about the room. Be assured that we have noted every detail and recommendation you gave us at your departure. By the time you come back we will surely have improve this matter.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again in Munich, so you can this time discover our extra features like the China Moon Roof terrace with a nice weather or the Wellness Center after a long day in the city.
My best and warm regards,
Cincinnati
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel property located with in walking distance to historical monuments etc high end shopping and museums. The hotel staff is well trained in exceptional manners and style. Our room was a junior suite, very large, handsomely furnished, with marble bathroom. First Class property with elegant and formal public areas and rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Cinthia S,
What a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay at the Mandarin Oriental, Munich. We would like to thank you for your kind words about the hotel’s furnishing and decoration. It is most important to us indeed, to satisfy and delight our guest with a wonderful and effective service.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again to Mandarin Oriental, Munich and would like to thank you for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor.
Zürich
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Let's talk about the bad stuff first, I think it's more useful - the wellness, the so called business centre and NO FREE WIFI!

When you pay in excess of EUR 600 a night, you'd expect damn well that you get free WIFI, like MOST places in the world. NO!
You have to pay extra for the internet?! What [--] is this???

The Wellness
....is not really a wellness and more of an afterthought.
The area, combined with the fitness, was accessible through a door just by the entrance, next to the bank of elevators into the rooms. You walk down the short and narrow corridor and the fitness area (which is tiny enough) is at the end of it. To your right going in, are two closed doors, leading to a private staff-only unknown area and the WC and Steamrooms.
You walk into....a box and it's further divided into 3 more boxes: the Turkish steam bath, which you can fit only 2 persons max; 1 shower, 1 person max; the sauna, again 1 person max otherwise you simply can't close the door and the WC.....
It was really really pathetic! There was no changing rooms and guests had to walk past the main entrance in their bathrobes to access this area, in front of all other guests milling around. They did not think about how to place this strategically to offer guests some sort of privacy in accessing the area in just their bathrobes and swimwear at all.

The Business Centre
....consisted of that one Mac computer next to the lobby, just ONE apparently. Luckily for me, as I had to finish a presentation during my stay there, there was no one occupying the computer at all the whole weekend.

Anyway, as nice as the hotel's overall package was, it just was not worth the price and I don't think we will be staying there again, or perhaps any of the Mandarin Oriental hotels....unless it's on a destination where they have their resorts. But for a city hotel, you'd best place your money on boutique hotels to get more value.

Now the good parts:
The room was so lovely, we were given 214 - high ceilings, large living area (evem though this was just the normal superior room), very spacious bathroom with a bath, shower area and separate toilet. The furnishings were a bit outdated - old style ivory marble (?) with too many veins shot through it, I thought it was rather grotesque. Rather small shower area admittedly, but the towels were sooo thick and fluffy, albeit old.

The bedding was just beautiful, so soft and silky and the bed, is actually a decent density - aka, not soft like most hotel beds are, which always gave me a back ache.

The service is impeccable here - I requested two separate duvets, which we got. Everyone is so nice and helpful. The reception area was a bit cheap - the whole honey coloured wood looking like it's made of plastic, stuffed into the corner in a large area dominated primarily by the lobby bar there.

Each night they had a pianist playing at the lobby bar and transformed the high domed ceiling lobby into something of a magical atmosphere, almost Great Gatsby style....

The breakfast took place in the small Mark's restaurant, the hotel's 1 Michelin star restaurant - the place is lovely, old fashioned with stiff white table cloths and napkins, silver cutlery and fine china, soft muted lighting in the evenings and during the breakfast, the half circular windows afforded bright sunlight in. The breakfast was half continental with the Bavarian twist - in the sense that they served hot white sausages (or wursts) with the honey mustard instead of the usual eggs, bacon and mushrooms. These you can order separately from the menu which is included with the room priced breakfast, including, I was delighted to see, porridge! and pancakes!

1 Thank imajesas
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Foreignasigirl,
We are sorry to learn that you did not enjoy our fitness and wellness center during your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Munich. The area was added in 2012 in order to provide an exclusive area to work out and have a personal trainer available upon request. The sauna and steamroom area is small but sufficient for our size of hotel and the guest’s need. In addition, we have added as of this month a hair salon, a retail area for spa products and two treatment rooms on the ground floor of the hotel with our spa partner Amor Fou. Nevertheless I do agree, that we do not have a full fledge spa and fitness area as many of the Mandarin Oriental Hotels worldwide.

Please allow me to thank you for your very kind words in regards to service, room, bedding, bar, restaurant, and breakfast as well as I really do appreciate your critical comments, which will help us to improve our product.