“Fantastic birthday experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 395 Hotels in Munich
Virginia
“Fantastic birthday experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We celebrated my wife's birthday at the Mandarin, and we could not have dreamed of a better experience. It started with a welcome glass of champagne. We were given an upgraded room, and later in the afternoon, the staff surprised us with a beautiful birthday cake. When we went down to the bar before dinner, the pianist played happy birthday for her. I've stayed at a couple of other Mandarin hotels, and somehow the staff always know who you are. Dinner in the restaurant one floor above the bar was excellent. As dessert was being brought to the table, we could hear happy birthday being played again in the bar below.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank Bill H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Turkish first
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Hotel has very good location and is very elegant. We love to have here a very peaceful and nice breakfast. It is always nice to have a room with the Alp's view and the view of the old part of Munich. I was very pleased to find out that hotel provides a few bikes for hotel guest, so you can enjoy biking in the near beautiful park.
We are not very happy about very small pool which is located on the roof - almost as a part of the terrace bar. Last year we had opportunity to enjoy pool in the close hotel and in Mandarin they just opened a new part of the spa, so we decided to return to this hotel again this year.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Staying here in Munich. Amazing property. Room size can have a bal. service top end. Recommend definitely. Food is delicious. Swimming pool looks great. Concierge give me great recommendation and save me time

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Desmet666
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Extravagantly expensive but the service gets to you. We were warned that Munich would be dull at New Year as most people head for the mountains but the Mandarin new years eve party was high class with roooftop view of the city fireworks - one of the best and longest displays we have seen as every building seems to participate. The rooms seem spacious because of the high ceilings though not as well equipped as some other Mandarins. - hotel is small so no spa etc. We could have stayed in the nearby Novotel for a third of the price but it is the Mandarin service (such.as birthday cake) that makes a stay at the Mandarin memorable for the kids.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
hong kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have been to this hotel once every year for the past 15 years. It has never disappointed me. The location is convenient. My room is big. Their breakfast is one of the best I had, with a buffet, sausages, fresh fruits, 8 different kinds of juices, yogurt, muffins, cheeses, and even miso soup. Then came the breakfast. Please try their pancakes with bananas and blueberries. It's one of a kind and yummy.
The Marks Restaurant is delicious and prices are reasonable.
Their Concierge, Sitorius(I may have spelled his name wrong) is the best I have met....They are all so friendly and prompt and courteous...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I returned recently to the Mandarin Oriental in Munich and it remains one of the world's great hotels. The service is flawless, everyone goes the extra mile to be sure you are satisfied. The housekeeping staff is particularly attentive and warm. They seem to love their job and take such pride in it. I love the bar downstairs--the service there also superb. I had a piece of raspberry cake that was to die for. Breakfasts are also wonderful with again fantastic service. Finally, the door staff is also wonderful...always offering to take a package and again they seem as if they truly enjoy and are proud of what they do.

The location is fantastic for walking and shopping and the rooms are beautiful. If you are looking for a perfectly elegant experience in Munich. The Mandarin Oriental is it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My sister arranged a surprise stay at the Mandarin Oriental Munich as a Birthday treat for us both along with my 13 year old daughter from the 21st to the 23rd December. I was amazed at the high standard of absolutely everything in the Hotel, the first greetings from the door guys & the General Manager and all the staff we were introduced to. We were shown to our rooms where our luggage was magically waiting there for us, I was so impressed with our rooms I even had my own Christmas tree along with massive Lounge, Dining room, Study area, massive Bedroom and bed. The room was spotless & a great deal of care had been taken in preparation for our stay. I was presented with a personalised Birthday cake & every member of staff we met knew it was my Birthday and made it a truly magical stay. I can't rate this hotel highly enough it was definately one of the best hotels that I have stayed in.
Rosie W