“A great base for Munich!!!”

NH Munchen City Sud
Ranked #201 of 383 Hotels in Munich
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bath, United Kingdom
“A great base for Munich!!!”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

A hotel that was clean and functional and close to transport links which was convenient for touring Munich. The room was spacious, clean with the bathroom being the same.

We didn't have breakfast at the hotel but from what I saw it looked pretty standard.

My only gripe was the lack of air-conditioning in the room and corridors. It was quite humid for the time we were there and due to the fact the room overlooked a busy road if you opened the window you would here traffic all night. A fan would have been an easy solution however none were available.

The staff that we encountered were great and always willing to help.

A hotel I would recommend to travellers on a budget.

All in all a pleasant hotel which I would use again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 9, 2011

The hotelhomepage is soooo not real...place is clean but in the middle of nowhere..
Rooms ok....but NO aircondition ...
All in all the prize was ok but not a hotelat all ...more a hostel ... Breakfast way to expensive ...metro is far so u have to take a vus to get there ...on their homepage it sounded different ...

• Stayed July 2011

Travelers are raving about these Munich hotels

Kerry
Reviewed June 12, 2011

I don't think I have ever been as unhappy writing a Tripadvisor review! We have just returned today from a 2 week holiday along the Romantic Road with a few extra places included. Munich is traditionally the last stop. Stayed in Munich 2 years ago at Christmas in Hotel Torbreau- a really fantastic place.

Not lucky this time. Our schedule was flexible so we didn't book a hotel until the morning we set off for Munich as we had done for most of trip. As luck would have it, a big Trade Fair was on for the 2 days we were here and there were literally next to no free rooms anywhere!

We spent a frustrating 90 minutes ringing hotels and hostels in Munich, all with the same story. This hotel was free but charging 600 euros-yes I kid you not, SIX hundred euro for 2 nights. If I tell you the normal price for this 3 star averages 60-90 euros a night then you can see the lunacy of this blatant mark-up. We were also 10 days into our trip at this stage and had never banked on paying this much for a less-than-amazing hotel to put it mildly.

To get to the chase, we secured the hotel with the proviso we could have free cancellation up to 6pm . After another effort to ring hotels with no further luck, we decided to cancel and change our plans altogether to stay in Munich. That would have been possible but that the phone number on the hotel website and the booking website (not NH hotel website) were incorrect so I couldn't ring the hotel!!!! Was unable to get onto German phone operator either.We tried to get onto the booking website on our mobile phone but the signal as we drove on the autobahn was unbelievably slow. Upshot: the 6pm deadline passed without us being able to contact the hotel.

We got to the hotel and got absolutely no recourse from the receptionist despite us telling her the advertised hotel phone number is incorrect. The penalty was going to be 300 euro which we couldn't countenace.So 600 euro bought us 2 nights in a 3 star hotel basically in a far, far away suburb of Munich. We were told at reception that to get to city centre by bus would take 15minutes. 25 minutes later we still hadn't reached the centre between a bus trip and U-Bahn (underground) train. Dejection doesn't cover it! It is literally MILES from the centre.

So the room- was fine, average size, clean. No iron in room but got one from reception. Tea and coffee were in the room but no milk so another trip down to reception for that. I know you won't believe it but NO we didn't get breakfast included for 600 euro! It would be funny if we weren't been fleeced. We ate in the cafe across the road instead.

Just avoid this hotel, I wish we hadn't even contemplated securing this place for a few hours just to give us more time to reorganize our plans. The stay left a sour taste and spoiled our remaining few days in Germany.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed July 22, 2010

Booked via lastminute offered as secret hotel so thought I would try this out. I had been told by a travel operator that these secret hotels are good quality but often a bit outside of the main town.
On arrival the hotel reception area was very hot indeed compared to the outside temperature. This only worsened as I ventured into the hotel and entered my room where the temperature was absolutely stiffling. No air-con or fan obviously available. I opened the windows and was confronted with the very very loud sound of traffic. Enquiries at reception revealed that there was no air conditioning at the hotel and that there were no fans and that they would not move our room. As I was on a tight budget and had paid upfront via lastminute I was not in a position to walk out and get other accommodation otherwise I would have done.
The room was unbelieveably hot - I love the heat and can take a much hotter temperature than most work or play - this was horribly hot and no air movement in the room. The corridors were much the same. There was loud traffic noise without the windows being opened and due to the temperature I had to open both windows which did help cool the room. The noise from the windows open from the traffic was very very loud indeed. Plus each time a vehicle pulled up outside the hotel exhuast fumes would venure into my room. Also the noise from guests leaving/entering the premises including the smell from smoking.
There was no information about guest services etc. Although there was a mini bar stocked with drinks and snacks there was no price list. There was a couple of tea bags and instant coffee sachets in the room - no milk or creamers - this was not replaced.
On check out they tried to bill me for breakfasts that we did not have initially insisting that we were guests of another name so had to waste time sorting this out.
This hotel is best avoided until they get their act together. I paid approx £76 for 2 x adults for 2 x nights which is only value for money if you like to sleep with the heat of noon in the sahara desert with the noise of being on a runway at heathrow airport.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Louisvile, KY
Reviewed July 2, 2010

We stayed here for 6 nights in June. The room was nice enough, clean, etc. The hotel is extremely hot-walk in the lobby and you can feel it. It was around 80 degrees during the day when we were there, but the hotel was so hot even at night you would have to open the windows...but then you definitely couldn't sleep because of the traffic noise even in the middle of the night (even wearing ear plugs!!). When we checked out we mentioned this to the lady but she said "we are 3 star hotel so we don't have air conditioning'', yet they don't have fans either or even light weight blankets-and /i have stayed in plenty of 3 * that at least had fans). Cleaning service for days did not replenish coffee/tea nor did they put more shower gel in the bathrom-luckily I had some of my own! The room was nice enough but too hot and too noisy...probably would not stay here again just because of this! It may be okay in winter...but not in summer!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
nawabofdelhi1
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Had to stay here for 3 nights as a last resort as it was a last minute extension to my business trip to Munich & most of the other hotels where full on account of a convention in the city. Also this property is 10 miniutes or so by bus to the office where I was working out from. As per other hotels run by this chain, clean, spacious, the average size of the rooms far bigger than most other hotels, though strictly speaking most of the rooms are actually serviced,self contained apartments, with their own tiny cooking area. Downside there is no air conditioning at this property, whcih makes staying here in peak summers bit of a challenge, moreover the T.V. set in the room I stayed in seemed from another era, a really small box. Moreover the hotel is far from the city centre & most of the touristy sites, you need to take a bus, for which admittedly the stop is just a few metres in front of the hotel, then hop on to the train, or you could take a cab, however that would set you back by about 20 Euros. Decent offering at breakfast, cheerful staff. There are a few eateries right outside the hotel (including a largish Chinese restaurant) in case you wish to grab a bite at lunch/dinner. Over all makes sense to stay here if you are on a budget & need a room with breakfast thrown in at around the 50 Euro mark.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2010

The rooms were very nice, fairly modern and very quiet. We had two single beds together. Room and bathroom was very clean. Bought a 3 day ticket for the transport cost 21.00 Euro and you can use it on train, tram and bus and is valid for up to 5 people, its a real bargain. You can get a one day ticket for 9 euro. The breakfast cost is 16.00 euro each per day for a cold buffett breakfast. Acorss the road is a small bakery with tables and you can get a banquet for 2 for the same price, and they are really freindly. The restaruant next to the hotel was closed but due to reopen shortly. We ate a a small pizzeria down the road in a small bank of shops down the side of the hotel. They dont speak any english, but the beer is cheap and the pizzas fab. We also ate in the Chinese behind the bus stop and that was really nice as well.

Munich is a fab city, the transport system is quick and efficient, we visited the zoo and that was well worth the visit, as well as the usual attractions.

I would go again and I would use the hotel again, they let us keep our luggage there all day as well on the day of departure which is a bonus.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple