“Ice Hockey (Boys weekend).”

KING's HOTEL Center
Ranked #56 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Yet another excellent stay in Munich. My son and I travelled here to see 2 top flight Ice Hockey games, One in Munich and one in Nurenberg.
The hotel again was brilliant and we could not fault the room or facilities and checking in and out were no problem. We did not use the restaurant so can not comment on it but 5 mins walk to Hauptbanhof and you can get pastries and coffee at the many shops and bakeries on the main concourse of the station.
On our second night after just arriving back by train from Nurenberg we decided to have a drink back at the hotel. We had the bar all to ourself and I would like to mention the young lady who was running it. She was very pleasant and told us a lot of things that we did not already know about Munich, I am sorry but I did not get your name.
Overall a fantastic weekend very much helped by a fantastic hotel.
This will always be my first choice when travelling to Munich in the future.....

Room Tip: You would have to go a long way to find a better hotel for your money in Munich.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PaulNSurrey
There are newer reviews for KING's HOTEL Center

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Our first time to Munich and we were delighted with our accommodation. Our room was quite spacious and the bathroom was great. All staff were very friendly, helpful and a pleasure to chat with. Breakfast was good and plenty of it. We enjoyed a pre dinner drink in lobby each evening. All added to ambience. The hotel is very well located close to metro and pleasant walk to Marienplatz (weather permitting). Good value and wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dennmar
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed at the King's Hotel Center while visiting Munich's brilliant Christmas markets, the hotel is ideal if you are arriving by train as the main train station is just 5 minutes walk away. We were allocated rooms 211 & 311 would have prefered rooms on the same floor but it wasn't a big issue. Rooms on the small side but ok for size, well decorated and mainted, very comfortable bed with a traditional canopy. Small bathroom but very clean and modern and a good shower. Rooms were exceptionally warm during our stay every time we came in had to take off any jumpers otherwise would have been too hot for comfort. Oh and for any tall visitors be careful of the carved decorations on the wood canopy of the bed, twice I banged my head on one.
Staff very polite and friendly on reception and they speak very good English, however we did go down one evening for some drinks at the little bar next to reception. The young girl who served us gave an impression that it was all such an inconvenience for her to do so and frowned throughout. Only ate breakfast once here and it was a good selection of hot and cold food.
Definetly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2013

When checking into the King’s Center in Munich, something caught my eye besides the pinewood panelling, discreet accent lighting, opulently framed, flat reproductions of former Bavarian dignitaries, and the very young, perky Reception Staff, namely, a “can’t-miss-it” framed plaque from none-other-than Trip Advisor, printed in German, proudly displaying a rating nudging toward 5 or 6 gold Stars.

While my eyebrows didn’t exactly parabolically arch at the sight, I was intrigued, because my initial impression of this hotel would not have generated such a – sorry – stellar rating.

Having been seared with numerous surprises - yet ones rarely positive - in the course of their travels, experienced wayfarers can ascertain a hotel’s strengths/weaknesses within nanoseconds of initial entry. This venerable cadre is more or less surprise-proof, having tucked all their bad news behind them in a long wake of numerous hotel stays. Alas, they can figure out the idiosyncrasies of a showerhead in a new hotel room within the splash of a second (sorry, again). Their awareness is honed; they fully know that with hotels – as with any initial personal introduction – there is never a second chance to make a first impression.

To be certain, I found out this facet like a flash in the pan after my key card dunked into the door slot of Room 116. I did not appreciate the numerology (travellers become very sensitive that way), and my initial impression upon opening the door, was that I was not going to give this place a second chance.

It was very late when I checked in and I had an early morning curtain call. What my – now former - PA had ordered auf Deutsch in the original reservation was a King Size Bed for Single Occupancy. You would have thought that at the King’s Center, they would have had hierarchical nobility thing down pat and get the idea about the bed size.

What I ended up with in Room 116 was neither a King nor Queen size bed, but the equivalent of two Court Jester sized cots. Unless, you are seriously Vertically Challenged, a travelling pigmy, or a pint-sized 18 month old, you are in for a straight-jacketed, frozen-in position, sleepless night. This was the ticket for ushering in bad memories of summer camp.

To avoid this entire problem, get a heads up and insist on Room 206, if this is your hotel of calling. Why? This is the room I (was able to transfer) to after enduring a beleaguered night in Room 116.

A bit of detail to help you avoid another early morning hotel surprise: the hour is 05.45, and I am just about to leave for a meeting. I am at the Front Desk, ready to go, with a cab on a meter, and their reply on my prospective room change is (translated)– “if you want to change rooms from 116 to 206, you must pack all your belongings and leave your suitcases here immediately”. Well, there’s one sofort I could do without at that hour of the morning. Of course, I had anticipated all of this, re-packed and had carted my bags with me to the lobby.

Another sidebar on the overall page: the hotel has no restaurant; something to remember if you are locked into a very tight schedule and return late at night. The hotel’s location, Marsstrasse 15 is nothing more than “tote Hose” (“dead pants” in the literal; “simply dead”, in the vernacular.

Let’s extend. Say, with your schedule and its attendant problems, hunger hits at 21.00 or later - where to? There are certainly numerous enticing culinary alternatives near the Hauptbahnhof - as in any European city - (sic), but when (not if) pressed for time, late at night, you might opt for taking the Front Desk’s recommendation, i.e. exit the hotel, turn right and turn right again at the first street and walk straight to the restaurant. Convenient, yes?

Not entirely. Leafing through the menu with such taste-temptations as “Schweinshaxe”, “Leberwurst”, whoa, watch it, “Blutwurst”, you are impressed immaculately with a carnivore’s Holy Bible (and conversely a suicide scripture for a Vegan). The two waitresses serving the place with more archways than a Moroccan shrine, are not exactly Dindl-compliant but are very taxed. If you are into the menu’s Holy Grail, fine, if you stupidly order fish…don’t even think of it: walk out, or better yet, never even walk in.

King’s Center – bottom line? If you are tethered on a short leash to the Messe Center, get accommodation at the Novo Hotel, if your event organizers haven’t blocked off all the rooms for their own staff. A Single there, with a – (hello? Always emphasize - King size bed for Single Occupancy will set you back about EUR 190.00 (the hotel’s cuisine, while not – forget it - is fine – you probably won’t end up living there on a permanent basis, anyway).

This King – with No Clothes On – Center, charges about EUR 250 for the (insist – let’s go through this again - painful as it may seem - Single (Abdicated) Queen Size Bed in Room 206 (again where I stayed).

So, if your PA books you into a hotel that sounds regal to her, well…

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Saizen
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here for four nights to visit the Christmas market and were very happy with our choice. The hotel is well-situated, approximately a 15 minutes walk to the main square and just 300 yards to a metro station.

The room was on the small side but was comfortable and adequate for our needs. Similarly, the bathroom was small but adequate. The furnishings were typically Bavarian with lots of wood panelling and a wooden bed canopy.

Housekeeping throughout the hotel was excellent.

Breakfast was a generous continental choice but with the addition of boiled eggs and sausages. Food quality was good.

There is a small bar in the reception area.

All staff were friendly and efficient.

There was a chocolate Santa left outside the bedroom door one morning, a nice touch.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Had arrived a wee bit early and was allowed to check in without any qualms. Friendly staff at the check-in counter who spoke English fluently. Brekkie was great value for money - recommended if you are off to a day trip somewhere. The location is awesome, a quick stroll to Marienplatz, just enough to be far away from the tourist crowds of the city centre.

Would recommend this place without a doubt. Look forward to coming back again!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Almost_Candid
Reviewed December 27, 2012

At first glance we weren't wowed by our room; the furniture is a little dated, but it was very clean and the bed was perfectly comfortable. We didn't hear any street noise from our room, nor did we hear another hotel guest at any time. The staff was friendly and there's a parking garage right next to the hotel. Best of all, we walked everywhere, didn't need to take a cab or public transportation once during our stay...that made it a great value for the money.If you are expecting up-to-the-minute decor you might be disappointed, but if you want a clean, comfortable room in a great location this place will suit you just fine.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple