“Fantastic location - 5 mins walk to Munich main train station and heart of shopping area”
Review of Hotel Koenigshof

Hotel Koenigshof
Ranked #20 of 385 Hotels in Munich
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Pros:

1. Hotel is located right in the heart of Munich city, near to the main shopping district. It was extremely convenient.
2. Underground train station is right at the door steps to the hotel (about 20 steps). It was excellent! There is a direct train line from here (the S8 yellow line) to Munich Airport Terminal 2. No need to take taxi / bus ( I wished I had known that before I booked the hotel airport limo!)
3. 1st class service from reception / reservations. They answered my email queries promptly everytime - they've not kept me waiting for more than 24hours. They arranged all my tour itinery around Munich without any hassles.
4. Hotel is a 5 minute walk to Munich main Train station.

Cons:
1. Spa pool at the hotel could be a bit hotter. Water was unfortunately only luke warm.

Room Tip: My hotel window faced the back of another building. Not very scenic! If you want the main city view...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank SapphireRose88
Martina_Bindig, Manager at Hotel Koenigshof, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Snow-meeze,

Thank you very much for your nice comment on tripadvisor.

I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. The location of our hotel is indeed great and you did, what I ever recommend: leave your car in the garage and walk or take the public transport!

Much more I very pleased that our staff was helful and could arrange everything you asked for.

Thank you also for the hint concerning our jacuzzi. Our technical department will check this immediately.

Hoping to welcoming you again

Reviewed March 18, 2013

There are many positive points for the hotel, firstly it's location. It is opposite to the entrance to the famous Altstadt or Old Town and all the sights, shopping and beer halls on offer. Also the service at the hotel is first class, efficient but with a human touch. The front desk staff and doorman excelled.
Where the hotels let's itself down is that the hotel is in dire need of renovation and modernization. It's nice to stay in a period style hotel, however, everything is worn out and the hotel does not resemble even remotely the photographs it uses to publish it's image.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank AvidTraveler12
Martina_Bindig, Manager at Hotel Koenigshof, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Daer Avidtraveler12,

First of all I want to thank you for your honest comment on tripadvisor.

Concerning your hint that the hotel would need a renovation and modernization I want to inform you that we are planning a total renewal of the Koenigshof. This will still take a time as it has to be approved by the local government.

The more I want to thank you for your kind words on our staff and their service. We all are happy to hear that you enjoyed your saty in this aspect.

Hoping to seeing you again I send you my best regards

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is really a 4.5 reivew, because of the billing issues, but the service and rooms are so good that I'd rather knock up the rating to a 5 than down to a 4.

I was lucky enough to have two separate stays at this hotel of a few days each in the month of February and March 2013. Let's be clear, this is one of the finest hotels I've stayed at in Europe. Hands down. Let's also be clear, you have to watch your bill because the accounting side of this hotel is simply in disarray - and it is never the hotel's fault. So get ready to pay pay pay. But, even though my bill was wrong on both occasions I stayed there, the service is so remarkable, that you really don't care.

The hotel is located at the west end of Karlsplatz and it remarkably conveniently located to the S and U (the entrance is right outside the front entrance), as well as being not more than 150 meters to the main train station. Also, there is a tram stop right at the front door (the trams run all night in case you want to go party). The hotel is in the heart of old, tourist and business Munich. It is exactly the right place to stay.

Do not even think of renting a car to get here. Also, although I took the hotel's car service from the airport on my first stay, the second time I took the S from the airport. It took me only 10 minutes more and saved 50 Euros. It's clean, convenient and fast and worth taking.

When you enter the hotel, you are surrounded by fawning help and old world elegance. The lobby is rather large for a European hotel, and impeccably styled. We found it a wonderful place to hold business meeting (though it is a bit open) and to have a good tea or beer (there's a serving area for the lobby).

The intake process if professional and fast. You are in your room in no time what so ever.

Before I get to the room itself, let me talk about the amazing responsiveness and service of the staff. My laptop was stolen on my first trip to Munich, and I only noticed it on the flight over from the states. Although I could get a replacement sent from our Mannheim office for the next day, I had a late night teleconference for which I needed a computer to access my company's cloud. I asked where I could rent a laptop for a day. Why rent. they asked me with a puzzled look? They had a new laptop available for my use within an hour without charge. Amazing. Pleasant. Remarkable.

Once you get to the room, it too is appointed with the same style and elegance. It is medium sized by US standards, but relatively large by US standards. The bed is comfortable, the pillows are real down. Water (both still and sparkling) is provided with fruit. If you have a chance, it is best to stay at the front or the rooms on the left side of the hotel. The tram on the right side is a bit loud, even with the windows closed. But you cannot hear this at all on the other three sides of the hotel is fine.

My first stay had a bath tub with a wall outlet shower and a separate (and separately controlled) hand held shower. There is no shower curtain, but a glass half (actually third) wall. I found it impossible not to get water all over the floor. Still, the water pressure is remarkable, even for the US, the temperature never varied and it was a wonderful shower. The provided shampoos, etc. fit the rest of the hotel - elegant and nicely perfumed.

My second stay only had a walk in shower. This was far better. The walk in has the same pressure and temperature control. It also has a hand shower and a separate rain shower. It was amazing and wonderful. Unless you're dying for a bubble bath, ask for a walk in shower.

Room temperature control was accurate, but there was a difference between my first room and second room. The first room allowed the controls to go down to 15C. On the second, you could get no lower than 18C. I don't know why there should be a difference, but for those of us from the far norther climes, who like it cooler in the summer, this could matter. I was there during the winter and the heating was accurate.

The desk area was good for business. The internet connection is wireless throughout and free and fast. I could connect to my VPN and actually did my first evening teleconference through our VOIP on our VPN without breaking up. For European hotels, this is amazing.

There is a turn down service every night, which as an American I find annoying, but it is elegance personified.

If you have to watch the TV and you need English, you will have the standard BBC and CNN news. But if you're in the center of Munich and need to watch TV, get a life. Also, with the amazing VPN, you always have Netflix or push such as Comcast and Time Warner offer.

On the first night, I had to use Room service because of my conference call. While extremely pricey, the food was excellent and delivered quite quickly.

There is no alarm clock in the room - it wouldn't fit with the tone of service and elegance. However, the wake up calls are completely accurate. Indeed, they are so creepily accurate, I wonder if they have a staff member who only does that in the morning. I woke up early on the first day, and noticed that the call came in EXACTLY at the time my iphone switched to the time I had asked. The same thing on the second day. I had the impression if you had asked for 5:58 as opposed to 6 AM, you would get a call at 5:58. Also, this is not a computerized service, but a live human being. I only mention this because it highlights the commitment to service.

There is a spa included in the hotel that has a lovely jacuzzi and dry heat sauna. It is elegant as well, with changing rooms, towels and robes. Indeed, I'm a big person (1.95 meters, 115 kg) and the robes fit me - I've never seen this before.

Now for the accounting problems. On my first stay, I was told without asking that my room rate included breakfast. (My room rate was 215 Euro per night) A compatriot arrived the next day and had a very similar rate (218). That night I said we should meet at breakfast. He wanted to go out because his rate didn't include breakfast (which is at an incredibly outrageous 29 euros per head - and it's not worth that). I again asked at the front desk if breakfast was included, and again told that it was.

I spent Wednesday to Sunday at the hotel. When I checked out I noticed two charges for breakfast. I asked to have them removed because it was included in my rate. "It's only included for the weekend ...." REALLY???? Perhaps you could have told me that when I asked twice. Bad bad bad.

On my second trip, my secretary was so proud that she had obtained a room at 180 Euros per night. My CFO, who joined us the next day, was impressed, because the best he could do was 235 a night. There was only one problem. The rate required a three night stay, and I was only staying two nights. This was never stated to my secretary, our travel service, nor me when I checked in (where it was confirmed that I was at 180 a night). On checkout, there were three nights charged for two nights stay. I complained. It was a minimum three night stay and get over it. I noted that this was never told to anyone who made the reservation or to me when I checked in. Too bad, so sad. Pay it. It wasn't just the mistake, but also the attitude. It was one of the only bad moments of my extended stay here.

So final analysis. It's more expensive than most European hotels, but not by much, and because of its location, it's worth the few extra Euros. But have them verify your rates before, during and after - I'd even get it in writing, because the front desk seems to say anything, regardless of the truth of their rates. While the service and rooms are amazing, this is one aspect that must be improved. In both cases, there was no "misunderstanding". The questions were clear, the answer were definite - and wrong upon final check out. See the rate in writing, if you have breakfast included, get it in writing, and be prepared to show this at your checkout.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the front or left side (as you walk in) of the hotel. The rear is over the pa...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Pelzigenvater
Martina_Bindig, Manager at Hotel Koenigshof, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear GeborenGestern,

With pleasure and gratitude we read your comment on trip advisor and have to admit that we are a little ashamed of such a nice and lauding comment on our hotel, our service and our staff.

That's what we ever try to do but it is really nice to hear that we sometimes succeed.

The more we regret that you had to complain about the invoice. Please apology that for the first stay our reception staff did not clearly mention the breakfast policy (included on the weekend days and not included during the week). For your second stay I assume that you had booked the special program "Stay 3 nights and pay only 2 nights". In this case we do not reduce the rate if you do not stay the third night. Some travel agencies do not explain this program very clear to their customers. They take the rate for 2 nights, divide it by 3 nights and quote this lower rate. I can understand that this is not easy to understand for our guests.

So we really hope to welcoming you again here in Munich.

Kindest regards

Reviewed January 23, 2013

my husband and i were traveling to usa from austria. we stayed in munich for one night (as we do each return trip home) this was the first time we chose this hotel. it was amazing. we were given a free up grade to a suite. food was great, wine was great. perfect location for enjoying downtown munich. easy walk everywhere. will return to hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank melanie m
Martina_Bindig, Manager at Hotel Koenigshof, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear melanie m,

Thank you very much for your nice comment on tripadvisor. We were very happy to read such positive words. Hopefully we can welcome you next time as well, when you are on your way back home.

All the best to you and kindest regards

Reviewed January 19, 2013

As with many city center hotels, noise is a major issue. With busy roads and tram lines on 3 sides of the hotel, late night and early morning sounds leave a very short period for uninterrupted sleep. About 3 hours at best. Still, the price to pay for location, which cannot really be bettered in the middle of Munich.
Concierge and bar staff friendly and helpful, but what is it about restaurant staff in so many places? Choosing to dine in, alone, one evening I was shunted off to a side table as if an embarrassment to the establishment. A main course that arrived before completion of the starter only added to the rather unwelcoming feeling, that somehow solo diners should be hastened out as quickly as possible. The excuse that ''most of our solo guests like to eat quickly'' really makes no sense. Let the diner decide if he is in a hurry.
Otherwise, comfortable rooms, good location....but noisy.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Richard D
Martina_Bindig, Manager at Hotel Koenigshof, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear HongKong Member,

first of all I would like to thank you that you took your time to give us an evaluation on tripadvisor, which is always very helpful for us.

I regret that you were disturbed by street noise during the night. As our hotel is in the very heart of Munich this is sometimes not avoidable although most of our guests confirm that the rooms are extraordinary quiet for this central location. As we have very few (single) rooms to an inner court yard you may ask for these.

Concerning your comment on our restaurant and here especially on the staff I want to apologize for their behaviour. Of course we also estimate single persons enjoying a dinner with us and ever try to provide them a nice table and of course our best service. Please be assured that I will speak to our F&B Manager to imrove the training on this.

The more I am happy to hear that the staff of the bar and the reception was helpful and friendly.

Looking forward to welcoming you again

Kindest regards from Munich

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have visit Konigshof hotel in 3 day tip to munich (valentines day)
If you want a luxury in a central location you should stay there.room/service just perfect
our room was spacious and staff very helpful. Due to valentine's day they provided us with a gift so kind :)
Breakfast with great variety , we used spa also and we generally had a great stay there
Keep up the good job leading hotel

Room Tip: I do not remember my room number but I am sure that all rooms meet luxury expectations
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChrysaB
Martina_Bindig, Manager at Hotel Koenigshof, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Dear ChrysaB,

Thank you very much for giving us such a nice evaluation. We are all very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and the little present.

Looking forward to welcoming you again we send you our very best regards

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Check google maps before you book. This hotel is not for everybody, and not a great 5 star experience. The spa just passable, the gym is poor. The outlook OK just outside the old city. Close to the railway station means it is in a pretty downtrodden part of town. Close proximity to the sex shops detracts from the family experience. The restaurant is said to be good, but too formal for a young family. The breakfast is good. The concierge was

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank FamilyS27
Martina_Bindig, Manager at Hotel Koenigshof, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear FamilyS27,

Thank you very much for your evaluation on trip advisor.

I regret to hear that you did not like our hotel respectively the location of it. Most of our guests really enjoy being downtown and being able to walk everything as you may step into the pedestrian area exactly opposite of our hotel.

You are right that we are close to the train station and - as in most of the european cities - the area behind the railway station is not the nicest one. Therefore we ever recommend to our guests the way down to Marienplatz and the old city.

With children our restaurant might be too formal but as we do have to sister hotels close to the Königshof we are also able to offer you their restaurants which are more casual. For a future stay you may check our anna hotel or the Excelsior.

Hoping to welcoming you back in one of our hotels

Kindest regards