“Impeccable service and best location!”
Review of Platzl Hotel

Platzl Hotel
Ranked #13 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed February 10, 2014

When we checked in last night, both staff at the reception are so friendly and very informative. When we parked the car in the garage, somehow the door left black rubber mark on the car, we told them about it, they went out of their way cleaned it for us.
The room is super clean and spacious, althought the deco is a little old fashion but I guess it is just part of traditional Bavarian charm.
The location can't be better, walking distance to everything! Market, shopping, attractions and restaurants. Will certainly recommand this hotel.

Room Tip: The deco is very traditional Bavarian style but the location and service is really impeccable.
1  Thank Xiaolio

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Very well located in the centre of Munich. Its clean and traditional and you leave knowing that you have been to Bavaria. We have stayed here on business for the past six years and we plan to do the same next year.

1  Thank Harrows D
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Stayed here one night at end of business trip prior to flight home from Munich. My room, 220, was very large with comfortable king size bed, nice sitting area with sofa, desk, flat screen tv, large foyer with closet, two separate bathrooms - one with toilet and sink, the other with larger sink, large tub, separate shower. Very nice creams and toiletries, robes and slippers. All the things that make it pleasant to travel. My room overlooked a small roof and I later found that the plaza with the Hofbrau House (and an Irish Pub) were right on the other side. Yes, I heard a group of revelers happily singing one night (after a few too many delicious German beers I'm sure), but it made me smile. Hey, they're young and having fun and they're in Munich for goodness sake. The last person who complained so bitterly about the noise should do himself a favor and get some sturdy earplulgs so he can block out the world and enjoy his grumpy solitude. I just don't understand travelers that expect the silence of a graveyard when they travel. Of course the hotel can't control the people outside of it and you are ridiculous if you think they can.

Anyhow, the hotel is gorgeous, the breakfast buffet was one of the best I've encountered in many trips to many European countries. The staff was friendly and helpful. When I called for a wake up call at 7AM (on a Sat morning) the nice gentleman who took my call said, "Oh, that is far too early and doesn't sound nice, how about I call you at 9 instead?" Of course he was joking around with me, but I appreciated it because he was so pleasant and joyful. The walk to the marketplace and Marinplatz is quick--maybe 1-2 minutes down the street. Everything you want to do is close with many, many, fine places to eat and lots of shopping, activities etc. Lovely to walk and enjoy the beautiful buildings all around. (Wear flat sturdy shoes - lots of cobblestones!!!) Taxi to airport is around 70 euro, but you could take train if money is an issue. I highly recommend the Platzl and will tell all my friends and family who travel to Munich for business or pleasure to stay here! Thanks to all the lovely people who work there from reception to bell hop to breakfast servers to charming men who open the door! Everyone at the Platzl had a welcoming smile and would go above and beyond to please their guests. Thanks for a great stay! I'll be back!

2  Thank cocoajean
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

This was a repeat and definitely last stay. My second floor corner room 211 was at the rear of the hotel and overlooked the the Hofbrau Haus which is a touristy beer keller. I'm a big city dweller and don't mind background noise. On a business trip after a really early start I needed an early night. I was woken several times by loud lager louts shouting outside my window. When I called reception at 11.50 and asked what was going on, the staff member couldn't have cared less, infact he was quite sarcastic: 'Yes madam we'll call the police if it doesn't stop in 10 minutes, it closes at midnight." It took a while for the crowd to disperse, it's a big bar. The next morning on check out when I said I was not satisfied the duty manager offered a pitiful €10 reduction for the inconvenience. I refused and asked the manager to review the bill. Today I received a letter by email saying no reduction, next time you come ask for a quiet room! I don't remember asking for the worst room in the building nor the booking stating that I should expect a disturbed night. From their tired attitude it's clear the hollering from drunks is common place. Maybe it's bearable if you're on holiday and carousing. Definitely not if you're not! Be warned.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank passportticketmoney
Reviewed January 30, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Platzl for 3 nights in January on vacation, and it was absolutely great. It's wasn't cheap, but everything about it made it easy to enjoy.

I particularly liked the location. It was just two blocks from the subway station for easy access, right next to Marianplatz and the Victualen Market, and around the corner from the Hofbrau Haus (which came in all too handy one evening). When we checked in, I asked about jogging routes in the area and the clerk handed me a great set of directions to the Englisher Garten which was nearby and perfect for a run.

As with any great hotel, the breakfast and staff at the desk were excellent. Honestly, I would recommend this to anyone visiting Munich who can afford a little luxury.

Happy travels!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Hofbrau Haus tend to be a little noisy in the evenings. But, when you book a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I've been meaning to post a review about this hotel for months now, and although it may seem a bit dated, it looks like my impressions echo those of more recent travelers. I stayed at the Platzl twice last year -- in May and in September -- and I loved it! The location is perfect, right next to the Marienplatz metro station and within walking distance to many historic sites in Munich. The staff couldn't be more helpful and friendly. The rooms are quiet, clean, and very spacious by European standards, with free and fast wifi, and an AC. Breakfast (also free) is plentiful and very good, with a variety of hot and cold choices. Besides, there are two restaurants on the property. Ayinger's Inn which -- among other things -- serves the best apple and peach strudel, and Pfistermuhle which specializes in upscale Bavarian cuisine and is excellent (a bit pricey, but worth it!).
All in all, besides offering excellent value for money, this hotel is what Bavarian hospitality, quality, and efficiency are all about!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Laviajera67
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This is a great hotel right in the old city next to the Hofbrahous. It couldn't be a better location. Very close to a metro stop (Marienplatz) so very convenient. The staff were very helpful, the rooms were comfortable, and the breakfast was great. We would definitely return to this hotel next time we are in Munich.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple