“Our luck record in finding great hotels continues with the Pratzl !”
Review of Platzl Hotel

Platzl Hotel
Ranked #15 of 382 Hotels in Munich
County Cork, Ireland
“Our luck record in finding great hotels continues with the Pratzl !”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

So I find myself back in Munich again but this time it is an extended weekend break with Meine Reizende Frau. 'Central' was the primary requirement and that was exactly what we got in the Platzl. We like to walk and explore when on holiday so churches, museums, architecture and palaces are our bag. Here we were right smack at the centre of it all. The Rathaus,three great churches, the opera house, the Royal Residence and a museum all little more than a few minutes stroll from the hotel.

We knew what to expect from the comments read on Tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. The reception being our first point of contact was a joy. Pretty girls in traditional Bavarian costume, bright smiles and speaking superb English attended to our registration with predictable teutonic efficiency but with a delightfully unexpected charm.

Room was good and fronted onto a street. Timber double glazed windows easily took care of the sound barrier that some contributors suggested to be a concern. The twin room was comfortable and well appointed. Would have liked a kettle but its absence was not an issue.

This is an old hotel in the old town that has had a major make over. The style of the period was given a nod towards without replicating it. The breakfast room is bright and airy with verdigris green with gold detail on newly installed panelling. It does not look out of place in the four hundred year old hotel. Bedrooms had nice natural wood gothic style headboards that formed part of the link with the past. In short the renovation seems cleverly managed to address modern requirements yet not losing all the character of age in the process.

Still slightly on that subject the hotel has two restaurants. The Pfistermuhle and the Ayinger both of which form part of the block that is the hotel. The former is immediately beside the entrance and the other is at the back, opposite the Hoffbrauhaus. The Pfistermuhle is a great restaurant serving great Bavarian fayre. The setting is delightful within an ivy wrapped building with the real origins of the hotel clearly visible in its panelled walls and vaulted ceilings. The Ayinger is a little more germanic style that one could find anywhere but nonetheless a fine eatery though with little to indicate its origin in 1573.

Earlier I referred to the Breakfast Room and now must remind that the Breakfast is very good. While predicable in its array it is the standard that makes it notable.By that I mean down to the jams (jelly or conserves) which were obviously hand made.

Mentioning at the beginning the reception and the receptionists I must return to there again. Having decided to do a tour to Ludwig's castles we were pleased to find that the reception could supply the tickets. We were even more pleased when the offered to pack a breakfast for us should we not have time to dine. It turned out to be a great picnic.

This leads me to an important lesson for the traveller. We were advised to get the bus at the Kempinski Hotel in Maximilian Str.at 8 a.m and that we should leave the hotel at 7.45 a.m to arrive on time. Now we know why. The bus arrived a 7.58 am and left the hotel at 8.02a.m. On these tours think and be German is my advice !

Again I return to matters to do with the reception. Discovering with the aid of yet another charming receptionists that we could visit the Nympenburg Palace by tram and that they could also sell us tickets for trams, bus or underground, Meine Frau was busy getting tickets while I was waiting by the free internet boot.

A guest arrived through the street door, sauntered past the reception towards the lifts where I was standing. Instantly I thought this guy looks just like Gerry Flannery, one my great sporting heros from Ireland and Munster Rugby. Naw ! I thought I must be wrong anyhow he is bigger. The guest pressed the lift button and glanced in my direction as I scrutinised him, lift opened and he got in.

On the plane home my wife glanced up from her newspaper and said 'did you know Gerry Flannery is in Munich attending the Bayerne Munich Football Team's doctor for his injuries' ? That missed opportunity was capped by the fact that I had taken a picture of Meine Leibe Frau at the reception immediately before he came in the door. Possibly the only negative in a wonderful visit to Bavaria and the Pratzl !

Room Tip: Perhaps one should avoid rooms overlooking the
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank SirNorman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed November 4, 2011

We always stay here at Christmas as we have our Christmas dinner on 24 Dec at the Hofbrauhaus!!!This hotel is SO expensive for the quality of rooms offered but you are paying for the central location. Alot of the cheaper hotels with a more luxurious standard are at the dodgy end of the city near the main railway station (Hauptbahnhof). Staff are quite snooty as previously reviewed. Make sure to check out the great 'wellness' area of sauna and steamroom and the 'fruity flavour' rainforest shower. They also had a sunbed. If you get a 5th floor room then you can go from your room straight to this morroccan style sauna area as it is on the 5th floor too. We booked on the German hrs.com and got the Platzl for a little less than the usual 190 for a double overlooking the Hofbrauhaus side of the hotel. Check out the Platzl's website - you pay extra for the 'quieter' side of the hotel! Is this why the Germans are the only ones in Europe with money???!!!Irish hotels please take note!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We stayed two nights at the Platzl on October 19 and 20th. The location of this hotel is wonderful. It was a short walk from the underground which made it very easy to get to from the airport. Check in was a breeze and I found the staff very friendly. Our room was comfortable and even though we were on the 1st floor (2nd FL by US standards) the room was quiet. Our sink in the bathroom was not draining, but it was fixed immediately, which we appreciated. The only real complaint was that even though it was a non-smoking room, we could smell smoke all night coming from a near by room. It would also be very nice to have tea/coffee making facility in the room. You can buy internet for 9 Euros for a 24 hour period. We understood this was for our room, but it was actually for one device in our room. Breakfast was plentiful and very good. I'll return to the Platzl if I have the chance to return to Munich.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KUA557
Mansfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Our family stayed at the platzl Hotel oct 2011. What a wonderful hotel. So quaint!
This hotel is in a perfect area to truly enjoy the area of Marienplatz..
The staff was so so so friendly. The hotel was implacably clean. The morning breakfasts were superb. The beds in the rooms so comfortable. As another reviewer said I really cant find anything negative to say. Make sure you take advantage of the steam and sauna room!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank julie s
Chicago
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Munich is a typical Bavarian city which has shopping, museums, parks (beautiful English Garden) and international restaurants. (and of course lots of beer) Staying in the center can be noisy, but if you choose the Platzl Hotel, you will find a quiet oasis within the old city. Everything about the hotel is very professional and well designed for the customers.

I stayed for two days visiting friends and on business. As a single woman, I felt safe and well taken care of ,especially with the front reception staff who made me feel very welcome during my stay. They were always helpful in whatever question or concern I had.

The hotel itself is decorated in a more traditional design, but in an updated way. The rooms are quite comfortable and the bathrooms contemporary. In keeping with the German emphasis on "green", the hotel is very conscious and has made an effort to be ecologically correct. Try and get a room towards the back since there is a brewery restaurant in the front which can be quite noisy.

Breakfast is a feast and after eating the buffet, one doesn't have to eat lunch or a snack until much later in the day. Everything is fresh, beautifully displayed and constantly replaced. The room is quite comfortable even when full, and the staff very helpful.

The only problem was with the WiFi which was 9 Euros per day. I was on the second floor and it only worked in the hallway. There is a computer in the lobby which is free to guests, but I wanted to work in my room so I paid for the connection so I could use my IPad. Be sure that the Wi Fi will work in your room or else it will be a waste of money. The Wi Fi does work in the lobby, but then you can use the free computer.

Platzl Hotel is located in a wonderful part of the city surrounded by good restaurants and excellent upscale shopping. Munich is an expensive city and with the dollar exchange, it makes it even more expensive. You can have a good German style meal at many of the restaurants owned by the beer makers in the area. Some such as the Angyler (behind the hotel), serves traditional food with a contemporary take on it. Most of the restaurant portions are huge so you can usually share things. (And they say Americans eat too much)
I would definitely recommend a visit to Munchen with a stay at the Platz Hotel. It might be on the more expensive end , but you are right in the middle of the action and at the end of the day will find a tranquil and welcoming hotel to come back to.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not near the front part of the hotel facing the beer hall.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Recently traveled to Munich on holiday and stayed at Platzl Hotel. Excellent on all counts (service, room quality, food, ambience), and the location was extremely convenient. I truly can't think of a single criticism to interject. I considered several hotel options, with Platzl being at the upper end of my budget spectrum. Overall, I'd say that this hotel was good value for the price, and it will be at the top of my list for future visits to Munich.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Tom B
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Another business stay at this hotel in the Munich Altstadt. Hotel rooms good, take the wired Internet option, at €4/day it was good enough for Skype and reliable. My room fronted onto a street which was noisy so really couldn't have the window open, but there was a/c, so no great shakes. Not cheap, but you get whatbyounpay for.
We had one colleague drop out at short notice, the cancel fee was meant to be two days, the hotel sold his room one night so we only paid one night fee. Fair do's.

• Stayed October 2011