“A few drawbacks but overall very good”

Derag Livinghotel am Deutschen Museum
Ranked #117 of 389 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed here three weeks alone. It was by far the best bargain, most affordable and perfect central location. The kitchenette was very well stocked, TV had lots of channels and wifi worked great for me. Only drawback was figuring out that housekeeping only comes twice/week when one is a "long stay" - and then they didn't give me new sheets for the bed!!! I stayed here for one week a few months ago and got housekeeping every day because I was not "long stay." I wish they had told me that upon check-in. Staff were very nice and helpful, though.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Derag_Livinghotels, Manager at Derag Livinghotel am Deutschen Museum, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Thank you very much for your comment regarding your stay in our hotel. We are happy, that overall you enjoyed your stay. We want to apologize that you have not been told about the cleaning situation for longstays.

Management and Team from Derag Livinghotel Max Emanuel

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I have stayed here many times in my business trips. Price was very nominal (usually 40-70 euros/day) and staff were mostly friendly. best thing was it had kitchenette and that really helped to cook ourselves what we needed than depending on expensive restaurants. it has also washing machine at basement+ nice gym/sauna. Breakfast was very good.

very good:
prime location (very close to city/super markets) - the best possible
break fast
kitchette in room
telephone at room
weekly twice cleaning of room

not so good:
room size (match box size room with small bathrooms :()
washing machine located at end of scary basement (reminds of world war 2 dark chambers)
old tv sets
internet facity or speed was average earlier (i think it is improved now)

Room Tip: Ask for rooms at top floor (double bed with garden). That was superb !!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I wanted to give this a 3.5 as I think it is better than a 3 but doesn't quite deserve a 4.

First let me preface this by saying we were on a relatively budget trip but not super-tight budget - every other accommodation we stayed in on our trip were private rooms in hostels, pensions (guest houses), or 2-star hotels. We only ended up in this 3-star hotel because it turned out to be the cheapest place in Munich without staying way out in suburbia, and I think we got a cheap deal via the booking website we used. We paid about 60 euros/night, which ended up being probably the most expensive place per person that we stayed.

It was nice to be in a flasher hotel as a change from the other places we were staying and it had its perks. The bathroom was roomy and the shower had good water pressure. The double room was clean, and while not huge was still big enough, especially as previous to this my sister had been travelling with us and we had been in triple rooms which tend to be a bit more crammed. The bed was comfortable although the pillows were very floppy. We found that was the case in most places in Europe but expected a bit better in a 3 star hotel.

I was surprised to see a little kitchenette as I'd forgotten that the room had a kitchen. However it was not a very functional kitchen. We had not planned to self-cater so that wasn't *too* much of a problem for us, however there were glasses and mugs but no plates or cutlery. There were tea, sugar and coffee sachets but how does one make tea and coffee without spoons?? There was a two-burner stove but we didn't see any pots or pans. How does one cook on a stove without pots/pans, and then how does one eat that food without the plates and cutlery? My understanding is that most people who stay in a hotel such as this do not tend to carry plates and cutlery with them! This did make breakfasts a bit awkward for us as we had no spoons to eat our yoghurt, so we just had our fruit and bought pastries on our way into town until we managed to source some plastic spoons elsewhere. I don't understand the point of having cooking facilities with nothing to eat with!

Also, you only get one free hour of wifi and then you have to pay for it. We found the wifi signal to be VERY dodgy and my husband, a professional computer programmer, said their wifi network was one of the worst set-up networks he has ever seen. We were on the bottom floor, only one room away from the lobby so it's not like we were a long way away. He even tried getting a better connection right in the lobby and it was no better. I can't believe a hotel that charges 50% more than other places we stayed not only charges for internet usage, but can't even provide a decent internet connection. This was probably the thing that annoyed us most about staying there. We relied on internet to upload photos to free up space on our SD cards and we had trouble doing this in Max Emanuel.

It was convenient having a laundromat in the hotel but it was probably one of the more expensive laundromats we used on our trip. The hotel is close to an underground train station which is convenient. We were on the ground floor right by the street but did not find it to be too noisy. Staff were polite and their english was good. I would look for other places before going back there, and would only go back if I was getting a good deal again. Don't rely on having a useful kitchenette. I've rated 'Rooms' as 'Average' simply because all we needed was something clean and comfortable, and they definitely met this criteria, but if you were relying on having a useful kitchen then they'd only be rated a 2.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2012

OK, inexpensive hotel. Pro: near U-Bahn/S-Bahn train stop. Cons: old dirty carpet, rooms overlooking street are loud - request a room that isn't overlooking Rablstrasse. Worn out room, but OK for a night or two. Bella Italia restaurant at Rosenheim Platz has great pasta & pizza at cheap prices. No in-rooom safe, even though my confirmation said my room would have one. Had a minibar, with complimentary 2 beers and 2 waters, but a sign said they are changing to a mini-fridge. No AC, but can open the windows - but then you'll have street noise. OK flat panel TV with 45 channels.

Room Tip: Room that doesn't overlook Rablstrasse is what you want.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Stayed here for a single night and left with some mixed feelings about this place. Check-in was friendly and professional and I was given an upgrade free of charge (due to booking situation). Entering the suite, I found it all clean and quiet, but the interior itself seems rather "outdated" and the layout quite bizarre (two storied, with an intermediate level featuring (the only) tiny bathroom, never seen something like this before). Positive: entrance to the rooftop terrace with a bit of a view over Munich rooftops. All of the interiors seemed quite dated, especially the elevators.

Breakfast was not much to write home about with limited choice and rather weak quality. Service was professional, although not overly friendly.

All in all an unremarkable stay - the hotel is not a bad place (rather longstay style), but Munich got better choices within the peer category.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2012

I lived in this place in Feb 2012.
1. The kitchen is too small. I couldnt cook anything in it properly.
When you ask for some extra plates, or extra fry-pan, all you get from the reception desk is a stiff NO. I asked for a pan, and they refused directly, without making an effort to being one.
2. Really poor internet connection. They are charging 30 Euro/week, or 80 Euro/month for internet. The speed is really poor, and one wonders whether you are in Europe at all.
I went up to the reception to complaint about this, the lady just refused to help me. She said that they can not help me, and if I wanted, I could take the phone number of ISP, and try to sort it out myself. Wonder why they bothered to make a Helpdesk?
3. Room cleaning only twice a week, and with that also they are making a mockery of it.
2 times it happened with me, that my liquid soap finished, even on the day of cleaning.
The cleaning lady wont even clean the utensils properly.

But really the main problem is the unhelpful staff. I have stayed in many hotels all over the world, and at least the staff every where tries to give their best to help the guests.
But Not here.. :(

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank amanpaggarwal
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I stayed here for a week in November 2011. Have previously stayed for a similar length of time at the Hilton City, a few streets away. This is an area of Munich that I love with the convenience of public transport, supermarkets, pharmacy and the local shopping centres (including a great manicure) This hotel met all expectations held for the price which included breakfast. Staff were friendly and very helpful, my room was very clean apart from a dodgy smell from the drains. My internet connection was good and I enjoyed the free drinks in the minibar. What won my heart through was the availability of washing machines, driers and ironing board and iron in the basement which set my complete wardrobe up again for the next phase of my holiday journey. And yes, there are also 2 laundromats a brisk walk away in this area (used last year) but the convenience of having facilities onsite to where you are staying cannot be underestimated. The cons? - it would be helpful to have a ramp to drag suitcases up into the hotel rather than the steps and next time, will probably try a room at the back as the front of the hotel was slightly noisey - people seemed to be pulling along wheeled suitcases 24 hrs a day along the street.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden at the back are likely to be quieter than those overlooking the street.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo