“Basic, budget but clean”
Review of Germania Hotel

Germania Hotel
Ranked #143 of 389 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I recently stayed here with several friends on a weekend break. Essentially, we wanted something cheap but centrally located in Munich and that as what we get. The Germania is roughly a 5 minute walk from the Hauptbahnof (Central Railway station). That's a plus for getting around but in common with many cities in Europe it is not in exactly the most salubrious area, plenty of kebab and adult shops. Having said that there was no overt red light activity or any hint of menace. The area is quite dowdy in an otherwise beautiful and affluent city. On a positive note there was a nearby Aldi for snacks and drinks. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from Marienplatz, the beating heart of Munich.
Breakfasts were decent, reasonable quality and self service. Hot and cold selection. Nothing special but satisfactory. The rooms were pretty uninspiring. Furnished from car boot or garage sales, well worn carpets though spacious and clean. The shower handle was loose and kept falling down which was a slight irritation. Even though we were street facing there wasn't much noise. Reception was polite and helpful and there was a perfunctory bar next to it.
I was surprised to see many couples here. I think my wife would not thank me for taking her here. That's not to say it is a bad hotel, it's just deeply uninspiring and not at all romantic. However, for stag parties or groups of friends or students on a budget it's fine. It is just quite out of step in a sublime, quality city.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank DavidKLondon

Reviewed April 29, 2012

Just came back from 3 nights at the Germania, the reception staff were very friendly, helpful and spoke good English. The room was bigger than expected (compared with budget hotels in other cities), clean and not worn out at all. The en-suite bathroom was big enough, a hairdryer was provided and the towels were clean. The t.v. had CNN for news and even some free sky sports channels in German of course! No tea and coffee making facilities in the room, but a couple of decent sized glasses and a bottle opener for the beer we bought in the Lidl across the road! Breakfast was typically German (lots of bread and cheese) it was topped up regularly and the staff were very attentive. If you can use the stairs, do so, the lift goes no-where fast, but that was the only down part. If you dont pay for luxury, dont expect it. What you get with the Germania is a decent, well priced base in a good location - enjoy!

Room Tip: Our room didnt have a/c (dont know if any of them do) and we couldnt keep the windows open overnight...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Elaine M
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I stayed here after booking a last minute deal to Munich at a very good price. The hotel itself is very centrally located a short walk from the main train station, there are many hotels in the district. Germania is getting a bit old and run down and needs a refurbishment to take it out of the '70s. The room was clean, and reasonably sized, although again the furnishings were dated, one of the lampshades was burnt. The hotel is very noisy at night, manageable if you are at the back of the hotel. I booked a twin (last minute) but was upgraded to a double, and the staff on duty were very friendly and helpful.

Overall I would recommend Munich for a short break, but remember you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Stayed at the Germania Hotel for 5 nights in Feb for my partners Birthday. Our flight landed late in the evening and as we had known about this we asked for a late check in. The hotel is situated in an area close to the Haupbahnhof the main railway station.
We were informed by the receptionist that our room was on the 5th floor, the top floor and we took the elevator to our room. The people who have reviewed this hotel in the past are spot on when they say the lift seems to take forever and you have to press it a few times before it moves.
On entering the room we couldn't believe how small it was the bed was pushed up against the wall, I am used to the usual square pillows in German hotels but these were half the size and depth of a cushion and the duvet looked so thin it was transparent.

I was disappointed in the room as it had been a present for my partners birthday, I thought well you don't spent that much time in the room and as long as its clean that's the main thing isn't it?
For 5 days the only thing that was done in the room was the duvet was folded and the bin emptied and we had the towels changed on 2 days, the cleaning of the room was none existent. The cleaners would drag a hoover to every room on our floor and I never once saw the hoover move from outside the door they were in.
There is a hotel bar which was open twice whilst we were there and I cannot comment on it as we didn't have a drink there.
Breakfast was ok really but seating was a problem especially as whilst we stayed there, 2 coach parties of Japanese ? students were also staying at the hotel and they appear to spend a good couple of hours at breakfast.
Over all Munich is a nice place and I am looking to go back there in Dec but would not stay at this hotel again.
The hotel appears to cater for the coach parties and not the individual traveller, in my opinion the rooms and the service are that of a hostel and not a 3 star

Room Tip: if you have already booked this hotel ask for a room on the lower floors
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lindyloo6
Reviewed February 23, 2012

This simple but comfortable hotel is just what you might want for a budget vacation in Bavaria. The room was quite big and very comfortable for a winter nights. Breakfast was excellent very good for a start of a day exploring the wonders of Munich. A great find in the city center, some of the critics are very unfare. But the room that I was, needed some remodulation, I had no problems with the pillows from my bed they were very comfortable. The rooms are very clean
I must say that this was a very nice staying in this hotel.
I would stay here again and recommend this hotel to my friends

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Simple but very nice. Near everything. Nice staff. Next time i will certainly be there again...

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 30, 2012

friendly staff and ample breakfast, Doof if on a tight budget,

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends