“Nothing special with lack of service”

Shanghai Restaurant
Ranked #2,782 of 3,850 Restaurants in Munich
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed January 8, 2014

The interior (very typically Chinese decoration with a lots of gold and red colours), the location and the view is pretty nice and "lured" us to this restaurant. The service personal was not very helpful and showed no sign of hospitality. The food was nothing special at all and we felt better, when we left the restaurant. There are far better asian restaurants in Munich.

1  Thank Daniel T

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I happened to be here on a Saturday afternoon for lunch, first impression was when u go upstairs to this restaurant u find the environment resemblance pleasing. But the waiters there, almost all of them Chinese were at their ease and their gestures were not that inviting. Food was okay though it is a but pricey on the higher side. For a change it is,okay once in a while.....there was one irritant there...one of the customers seated there was spitting and gargling on the bowl there with all the noise and the filthy feeling it could generate but none of the waiters were willing to stop it....as I know it is quite acceptable to them,,perhaps.....it was a very humid afternoon and I wish they could have made the room a little cooler......just an okay from me.....though by capabilities I could see this restaurant could do much better in everything.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We are visiting Munich for the weekend and wanted to have Chinese for a late night dinner. Headed to Marienplatz and found this restaurant and headed upstairs to ask for take out. The restaurant is at most 20% full, menu is expensive and I expected quality, but the waiter's ignorance at my several inquiries should have given me an indication of what is to come. I wait 20 minutes for a simple 2 dish order - a fried chicken rice and a mixed plate of 10 vegetables - costing 20 euros.

I arrive back at the hotel and upon opening the packed cases, the "vegetable" plate is ONLY cabbage with 2-3 pieces of mushrooms, and not even covering 50% of the container. The friend chicken rice consists only of rice with perhaps 1% of dried chicken.

I warn all visitors to Munich (ones wanting to dine on Chinese food) to STAY AWAY FROM THIS RESTAURANT. I have been a faithful trip advisor reader for many years and this is the first time I have been SO appalled by the services at a restaurant that I feel obliged to write a review.

And just for reference; I am a Chinese-Canadian who knows what constitutes good/bad Chinese food and service.

1  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is an inexpensive restaurant, with a comprehensive menu. There is plenty of seating. Though the favourite spots are next to the large window which extends along one wall, and looks out on to the Stachus shopping area. The place is bright, and the staff are friendly and efficient

Reviewed September 20, 2012

What a pleasant surprise to have such fresh, authentic Chinese cuisine coupled with great service after days & days of touristy-tasting German fare & rude servers. We found this restaurant to be clean, comfortable and very affordable.