“service was horrific”

Shanghai Restaurant
Ranked #2,882 of 3,943 Restaurants in Munich
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Fourteen of us visitied this restaurant in august and while we all ate the food it came in different stages. The sauce arrived when the main course was nearly eaten, but it was edible, but for the price it would want to be!! what was really awful was the service and the attitude of the waitress who served us in this restaurant. we obviously were a big party but to say she was rude would be an understatement. when she came with the bill she demanded a tip be added to the credit card and I stated no we would leave cash, at least three other times she came up looking for her tip and each time she did it dwindled down. In the end what we left for her was minimal but to be fair she didnt even deserve this and when she got it, she didnt say thanks or goddbye instead there was a snide remark about the tip. I would under no circumstances return to this restaurant and I would not recommend it. Its overpriced and the service needs to be improved... management are badly needed to step in here.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Without doubt the worst Chinese meal I have ever had.

Food was tastless and bland, added to which, the service was equally as unimpressive!

If you like your food to have some taste, avoid this place!

2  Thank Pedr0
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We are very knowledgable about Chinese food and went here because it was convenient to our hotel and had some good reviews on tripadvisor. We had wonton soup, crispy duck and rice noodles with shrimp and pork — all not bad for a Chinese restaurant in Europe. On two occasions the waiter seemed to be trying to steer us into spending more. We asked, as we usually do, for a carafe of tap water. The waiter said the tap water was "no good" and we should buy bottled water. At that time we had been in Munich for a week and knew that the tap water was just fine. We did not buy the bottled water. And when we asked for the bill, he brought it and said very pointedly "service not included." This was said in such a way that it was clearly intended to make us feel we had to leave a tip. Our research has indicated that service is always included in the bill here and that one only gives an extra tip when service is exceptional. We thought his actions were inappropriate and we did not leave a tip.

1  Thank OldMaineTravelers
Reviewed January 5, 2012

What the heck, a break from amazing German food and I must say it was fantastic! Fresh vegetable dishes and amazing crispy duck... perhaps the best I've ever had. Broccoli beef with oyster sauce also outstanding. Steamed white rice and hot green tea excellent as well. Only drawback was when I requested more hot water for teapot I noticed on bill that I was charged for another pot, but that's Germany (and most of Europe)... no refills on coffee, tea, etc. Also, we didn't get a fortune cookie. No big deal... perhaps an American thing?

White tablecloths, linen napkins and a nice view of the main street below. Very nice presentation and good service from the all Asian staff. I highly recommend Shanghai Restaurant.

Reviewed October 30, 2011

I like chinese food. And i liked how they cooked at this restaurant. Just the sauer sauce which i love, there was dIluted ketchup. What destroyed overall impression. The service was very fast. The restaurant is spacious, clean, with nice panoramic view on the Karlplatz.