“An Excellent Munich Hotel”

Derag Livinghotel Am Olympiapark
Ranked #233 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Chicago, Illinois
“An Excellent Munich Hotel”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This hotel offers the guest excellent and friendly service. The rooms are very nice and the ambience is very pleasant. The hotel is a short walk to the Gern Ubahn stop and in ten minutes you in the heart of Munich. You get a good value for your money.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Derag_Livinghotels, Manager at Derag Livinghotel Am Olympiapark, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Thanks a lot for your personnel review and your excellent reference. It’s a pleasure for us to see that everything was fine, you enjoyed your stay and you felt comfortable with our service. We would be pleased to welcome you again in Munich in the near future!

Sabine Schneider-Rottig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed for the month of June traveling for work reasons. We had one of the larger, two floor rooms at the top of the hotel.

I started thinking of the KT as a halfway house for temporary ExPats. The staff was very patient with our struggles to adjust to German technology and language issues. They were consistently happy to see us and aggressively intervened on our behalf with the house's WiFi provider (alas, a problem that was never completely solved) as well as helping us set up our own WiFi USB stick/pre-paid cell phones. When our room's skylight developed a leak during our first week, we were able to move next door immediately. They also helped to carry the two free fans up to our room during the heat waves. The front desk also provided a toaster and a hot water kettle at my request. There is a washer/dryer set up in the basement. Don't be afraid to ask for help translating the instructions.

The kitchen consist of two electric burners, a mini-fridge and a sink plus a cute how-to-cook-in-this-small-space cookbook. There is a decent little grocery store attached to the property plus a weekly small farmer's market just a u-bahn stop away. The Italian restaurant on the property makes really great food and sets out the TV screens for all the big soccer games. The bed was comfortable and the showers plenty hot. The two couches in the sitting area easily converted to flat beds. Although the property's furnishing are a touch dated and shows some wear and tear, we were comfortable for our month's stay. Keeping the doors open for temperature control worked well except whenever neighbors started smoking.

The hotel is in a great location. It is on a residential street, across from the wooded grounds of a Catholic church. There are lots of trees. It is five blocks (more or less) from the U-bahn or from the Tram and we were downtown within fifteen minutes of leaving the hotel. It is within walking distance of the Schloss Nymphanberg (beautiful gardens) and the Olympic Park. A neighborhood beer garden with playground equipment for the kids is three blocks to the south providing a very pleasant living room for the neighborhood.

Plus, they sell beer in the lobby vending machine.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Derag Livinghotel Am Olympiapark, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Thanks a lot for your excellent personnel review and your nice plus detailed characterisation of your stay in our hotel. It's a pleasure for us that you really enjoyed your stay, everything was fine (except WiFi….) and you felt comfortable with the crew, our service and setting. Many thanks for this excellent refrence.

It would give us a great pleasure to welcome you soon again!

herts, UK
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We went for the CL Final staying the Friday and Saturday nights, consequently we didn't spend much time in the hotel. We had one double room, one twin, which worked out at £375 per room for the weekend. Rooms were clean, and equipped with fridge, kitchenette and TV - very handy. The complimentary bottles of water and unusually beer were most welcome. Staff were helpful; there was not a business centre but reception helped me to do online check in and printed boarding cards.

Rooms were clean but too warm during a spell of hot weather - air con had three settings, 2 windows open, 1 window open, windows closed. Otherwise a very good experience.

Location was good - a few minutes from a U-Bahn station (Gern) and 5 minutes walk from Olympic Park

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Derag_Livinghotels, Manager at Derag Livinghotel Am Olympiapark, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Thank you so much for your very nice review and your funny description about your personnel experience with „three setting air conditioning“. We are so sorry that we have no air conditioning. The only thing we can do for our guests is to offer fans, gettable at the reception. Of course, the fan is not a substitute for air conditioning but it might be a good solution. But…no CL winner cares about the lack of air conditioning...right ;-) ?!

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I was allocated a top floor room which is split over 3 levels. With a small kitchenette and lounge on the ground floor with a mezzanine study area and then top floor bedroom and bathroom. Overall the hotel is very much alike the majority of German hotels a little dated in decor but comfortable and tidy. The top floor rooms also have a large rear balcony from the bedroom and front balcony from the lounge. But at -5 degrees I wasn't in a mind to spend any time outside.

The hotel also offers some form of fitness facility and both cafe restaurant for breakfast buffet €14 and additional Italian restaurant. The Italian restaurant was very convenient if you didn't want to travel the 20-30 mins into the center of Munich and didn't require any pre booking.

The breakfast was ok but after the first day I much preferred to buy the delicious chocolate croissants from the large supermarket located 30secs from the front door of the hotel.

The only downsides for the hotel is that some floors smell strongly of Indian food in the common area's due to high number of Indian couples/workers living in the rooms. This however wasn't really too noticeable once you got into your own room. It did make me want Indian food for dinner though.

The other downside was that the heating apparently is pretty temperamental. My colleagues who have been staying for many weeks at the same hotel told me its 25-40% chance of being allocated a room without working heating. But electric fan heaters were provided on request by receptionist.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful in resolving the wireless internet connectivity issues. €30 for 7 day card is pretty average and the service was ok but wouldn't allow remote connection to my corporate network and also prevented internet proxy usage preventing viewing iplayer content.

Room Tip: top floor rooms are over multiple levels
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JustinBedford
Derag_Livinghotels, Manager at Derag Livinghotel Am Olympiapark, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Thanks a lot for your personnel review with nice comments, detailed descriptions and constructive criticism. On the basis of such notes we are able to increase and balance deficits for even more guest satisfaction. Referring WiFi we are sorry for the certain restrictions stated by the provider. We regret also the smell of food on the floor – unfortunately sometimes it is not avoidable. But you did not tell us whether you have eaten Indian food for dinner at last? In the meantime we already bleeded the radiator and now it still works in every single room or apartment. Even so it’s a pleasure for us that you felt comfortable with our location and our helpful staff. We hope to see you soon again!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Nice room, very good bed and shower. About 5 / 10 minutes to the subway.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MlfDuran
Derag_Livinghotels, Manager at Derag Livinghotel Am Olympiapark, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Thank you so much for your nice review. It’s a pleasure for us that everything was fine.

We hope to welcome you again - maybe once more in september?!

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Wish I had more time to spend there, but very pleased with what I saw. The hotel is quiet and clean, in a lovely neighborhood with a park, supermarket, restaurants and a U-bahn station within 5 minutes. My room was not yet ready at arrival, and they gave me an impresive upgrade to a 2-storey room with a balcony and a patio — great really, for the same price. I wish breakfast was included, that's always a nice bonus for a business traveller.

Room Tip: Some of the better rooms are 2-storey with a kitchen, living room and a balcony on the first floor...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank oksidor
BMSSR224, Manager at Derag Livinghotel Am Olympiapark, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Thank you so much for your famous personnel review with your nice and detailed description of our hotel and your additional lovely comments. It’s great that you felt comfortable with us and our service. But why did you book only the accomodation? Why didn’t you book bed and breakfast? It’s no problem to book it afterwards. You would be delighted with our breakfast buffet. You should talk to your travel agency (just kidding).

Anyway – thanks a lot and it would give us a great pleasure to welcome you again!

Assist. General Manager
New York
Reviewed September 24, 2011

In August 2011, I chose to spend my first 4 nights in Munich at the Derag Hotel Karl Theodor based on the mostly positive reviews posted by previous travelers - and I was not disappointed! As mentioned before, the hotel staff is great, the hotel location is in a lovely and quiet neighborhood, very close (5 min) to the U-bahn U1 Gern stop, and the very good Tengelmann supermarket is conveniently located just next door. My room, situated on the first floor, was large, clean and quiet. Everything was great and I could not have been happier... Hence, there were no second thoughts when 2 weeks later, at the end of my trip through Germany and Austria, I decided to return to Derag Hotel Karl Theodor for 3 more nights before my flight back to the US.
After a whole day spent sightseeing, I arrived at the hotel looking forward to taking a refreshing shower only to find that there was no hot water. Almost an hour later, when I called the reception desk, I was told that they had received the same complaint from another guest but they could not do anything about it since it was Friday night!
Around 9:30 pm I received a call from the receptionist announcing me the "hot water would arrive in an hour" - it never did! - and more than 14 (fourteen) hours later the front desk staff was still unable to tell me if the problem could be solved during the day! The repair was eventually done on Saturday... During all this time I was surprised to see that the hotel management made no attempt to inform the guests about the status of the repairs, did not present a formal apology or made an effort to compensate the guests for the inconvenience caused! In case you're wondering if I was charged the full daily rate for the night without hot water, the answer is YES - and it's a shame!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Lumi2414
BMSSR224, Manager at Derag Livinghotel Am Olympiapark, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Thanks a lot for your review. We regret that you did not feel comfortable during your second stay in our hotel regarding the lack of hot water. I received this information only on Saturday morning and from this moment I was active in the background to solve the problem finally which existed since Fridy evening – this was my first priority concerning the guest satisfaction. Aparently I have set the wrong priority and I regret very much to have not informed you personally about the status of the repairs.

Maybe you give us another chance to show you that my misconduct which you criticize was a singular case! We would be pleased to welcome you again.

Assistant General Manager