“Hot property, but not the way you want it to be!”

Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munchen
Ranked #18 of 389 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Together with three other couples, we were at this Kempinski for 3 nights during an abnormally hot time, 90-95 degrees which as I understand it is very unusual for Munich. It is hard to describe how completely uncomfortable our rooms were. We had the AC on full tilt and the additional fan (one couple wasn't given an additional fan as they ran out) ran 24/7. Being from Seattle I understand that you might not be prepared for a heat wave, but it was the lack of ability to get out in front of this and offer some form of recompense or just soothe a weary travelers nerves. (Our nerves may have been uber sensitive as we had just gotten off a very diverted cruise from the horrible flooded Danube) Eventually, after the problem was brought to the attention of the Hotel Manager, she did come over to our group one night and bought a round of drinks for us all. The unbearable heat overshadowed everything, but I would say that our room while spacious with a great deal of wonderful cabinets and drawers was quite tired. The bathroom was large with a wonderful bathtub and I loved the bath amenities. This was a suite, but truly because we kept the window treatment fully closed, we never went out on the balcony and I can't remember if there was a view at all. One of the best things about the hotel was the over the top breakfast buffet which was included in our room rate. It was spectacular with diverse offerings and elegantly presented. The location of this hotel is fantastic, so despite the tired nature of our room and the lack of comfort, I would go back there. I would definitely ask for an updated room/suite and if I were traveling in the summer, I would ask if there are rooms that have better AC features than others. I found the front desk staff very helpful and pleasant, and particularly the concierge staff who organized a private walking tour through Munich with an extraordinarily knowledgeable guide, and recommended great restaurants for our group.

Room Tip: Make sure your room includes the breakfast plan. It's definitely worth it in this hotel. Ask f...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
WebVierjahreszeiten, General Manager at Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for your comment. We appreciate receiving feedbacks from our guests even if it is of a critical nature, as this is the only way we can truly assess our guests’ needs and continuously improve the luxury service we aim to provide.

Please accept our sincere apologies that we were not able to provide you with the comfort you longed for. It is indeed not usual that we have such high degrees in Munich therefore our AC failed to cool down in all rooms. We do hope that this won’t happen in the future and we have taken every possible step to prevent this happening again.

We are aware of the fact that we are unable to remove your recent experience at our hotel, but we sincerely hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munich Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,882)

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Most of my work is on the Internet, so fast reliable service is essential.

The hotel offers a free, slow 250K connection and a much faster, paid connection promising 25 MB plus (I don't remember the exact figure, but it was over 25 MB).

I paid for the upgraded plan and started uploading a big file. After a few minutes the connection started limiting my data rate back down to 250K.

They did refund my fee, but never-the-less I'm not getting the data speed I need to work.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 12, 2013

It is a shame that a hotel of this pretension doesn't have help when you cannot connect. As my iPad works literary everywhere but here I asked the reception if something can be done, but I was treated in a somewhat arrogant manner and told that there is something wrong with my iPad instead. I then went to see the guest relations who, to my amazement, told me she was new and didn't know if there was an IT person in the hotel who knew anything about iPads. How's that for an answer? Then she followed me to my table, but got lost on the way and I never saw her again? So, if you see a pretty lady sitting at the guest relations desk, in a nice uniform and wearing pearls, well, that is all you are getting, a nicely uniformed person.

As we had similarly poor experience at Kempinski in another country, we decided we did not like this hotel chain.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank sister-karamazov

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your comment. We understand your disappointment with our service we provided to you and would like to thank you for your constructive feedback. We appreciate receiving feedbacks from our guests even if it is of a critical nature, as this is the only way we can truly assess our guests’ needs and continuously improve the luxury service we aim to provide.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the behavior of our staff towards your request regarding the Ipad. We have taken note of your comments and can assure you that such a behavior is not being tolerated by the management team and an internal follow up has been taken place.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We love the Kempinski Hotels, they are always great hotels. This was the first time in this one, and even though the hotel is renovating some of the rooms our stay there was a special one. Great service, our room was big, comfortable, and the breakfast buffet was the best one of all the hotels we stayed. The locations is great.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was a different experience of Kempinski to us! This hotel is one of the oldest Kempinski hotels to-date! You can feel it is a traditional and hystorical place.

The hotel has re-novated the superior rooms (very small but very stylish, shower with touch-screen buttons, great amentities and facilities available), also have new medium-size gym, spa and swimming pool to relax after shopping in rainy Munchen)). Breakfast was rich, hotel staff was helpful, an excellently working old OTIS lift of 70s (!!) plus other modern glassy lifts available at different parts of hotel, National Theatre is a 3 min walk distance, main sightseeings are in a short walking distance (spot: Marienplatz was surprisingly awkward and small but still so cute))).

Overall, it was a very good stay overall. I would recommend this hotel to the business, solo and tradion-lovers )))

Room Tip: Hint: the hotel suggests some specious room options but in reality these are old "traditional&q...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

The helpful staff complement the unbeatable location. but the rooms need a makeover to make this place worth the price. It is easy to be complacent with little competition. So, the hotel is not ready for a place among the elite of Europe

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed May 21, 2013

After maybe 10 years, I decided to give this hotel another chance. It did not work. I had been staying at another top hotel nearby in the last few years but out of curiosity, I went back to the Kempinski to see if things are different.

On Tripadvisor, I read a lot of complaints about renovation works at this hotel. This place has seen continuous renovations for many years. I have friends and business associates in Munich and they confirmed my suspicions. One wonders what it is that causes this kind of disorganisation.

The Junior Suite I stayed in looked like it had not been changed for 20 years – it resembled the last Junior Suite I stayed in about 10 years ago. The carpet was worn out and torn in some places. If there are new rooms with touch lights and touch shower temperature panels, I never saw them. Nothing was high tech in my room and the wardrobes were strikingly similar to the ones they had when my parents stayed there over 20 years ago.

Furnishings in my room were truly Spartan. The bathroom was big and white, resembling bathrooms in hospitals. By opening the window, I could see the courtyard with all the construction/renovation equipment piled up.

The old wooden doors have no door-chain or a peep-hole and I did not feel secure as I can never tell who is knocking on my door. I told Reception staff about it and they said that they would mention it to senior management.

Really, the only thing that seems to make people curious about staying in this hotel is its centralised location and its proximity to the best shops. It is by no means a 5 star hotel in my opinion. I trust the reviews of the Tripadvisor community and therefore believe that there must be a few high tech rooms with fantastic facilities, but unfortunately I have not seen any of them.

I feel sorry for the staff as they are really polite and try to be efficient, which is difficult as the hotel itself seems to work against their good intentions. This is very sad as I do not believe that anything is going to change any time soon.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Grace S
WebVierjahreszeiten, Director of Sales at Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your comment. We understand your disappointment with our product provided to you, and would like to thank you for your constructive feedback. We appreciate receiving feedback from our guests, even if it is of a critical nature.

We deeply regret that you had an unpleasant experience while staying with us. In order for us to follow up with you, please kindly contact our General Manager Axel Ludwig at +49 89 2125 0 referring to this review title.