“Modern hotel in a good location with large rooms”

Courtyard Munich City East
Ranked #126 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Boston, Massachusetts
“Modern hotel in a good location with large rooms”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The hotel is fairly new, with modern fixtures and furniture. It's a short (3-5 minutes) walk from the Munich Ost train station. The S8 train from the airport drops you at this station, and there are trains every few minutes that will take you to the city center in a manner of minutes.

I arrived around 10am, which is extremely early in hotel terms. I expected I'd have to store my luggage and wait until the official checkin time for a room, but the front desk clerk (Moritz) was extremely friendly and accommodating and found me a room.

The room was pretty much what you'd expect from any Courtyard in the US - which means the room was absolutely massive by European standards. It had a large desk area with a height-adjustable comfortable chair (essential if you're planning on getting work accomplished during your trip). There were a large number of standard 2-pin Euro sockets around the desk, bed, and baseboards. If you're like me and pack a ton of gadgets, it's nice not to have to hunt for enough outlets. There's also a USB plugin next to the television that you can use to charge your phone/tablet/etc without needing to futz around with an adapter. The thermostat is a simple twist-knob for hotter or colder air - it doesn't let you set a specific temperature. I didn't have any trouble using it to stay comfortable.

The bathroom had a tub/shower combo with a glass door. Plenty of hot water and very strong water pressure. There's a magnifying mirror, hair dryer, sample-size toiletries, and plenty of towels. The wardrobe has "real" hangars instead of the annoying ball-and-slot hangars that some hotels insist on using. Standard iron and ironing board are clipped to the side of the wardrobe.

The tea and coffee service consists of an electric kettle and a nice leather-bound box containing a selection of tea bags and instant coffee.

Admittedly I stayed at the hotel during the "off season", but it was one of the quietest hotels I've ever stayed in. All of the doors have a flange that gives a complete seal, so noise and light don't "leak in" under and around the door. This is the first hotel where I've seen that - frankly, I wish more hotels would install similar doors. I suspect all bets are off during Oktoberfest, but you have to expect that.

Unlike Courtyards in the US, there isn't any free Internet access in the rooms. For better or for worse this is standard across Europe, even in "business oriented" hotels. This hotel does at least provide free WiFi in the lobby if you need to get an email/Facebook fix. They also have a kiosk and printer you can use to print your boarding passes for free.

I didn't try the restaurant that seems to have come in for a good bit of abuse by other reviewers, but honestly, you're in Munich - eating in a hotel restaurant should probably be your last resort. There are plenty of decent restaurants and cafes within a 4 block radius, and Marienplatz with hundreds of world-class restaurants is a short hop away on the trains. The room does have a small refrigerator, and there's a Lidl right around the corner and another in front of the train station if you want to engage in some ultra-cheap self-catering.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel - it'll look out over a very quiet residential area...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Michael L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Large rooms typical of USA hotel rooms. My husband, adult son, and I had plenty of room in this hotel. We reserved a room for the three of us. Because we requested the backside of the hotel (quieter), we ended up with two European-sized beds and a cot upon entering the room. Although the beds were a slightly smaller than double beds, they were quite adequate for my husband and me. We elected to have the cot taken out. The bathroom was large.There was plenty of room to unpack all of our things from our suitcases. The breakfast was wonderful - something for everyone! Drinks and light meals were enjoyable in the lounge. The internet area was large and comfortable. It was a short, safe walk to the train station. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RussandAnne
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This hotel has a great location as it is about 10 minutes from the city center. My wife and I visited here for Oktoberfest this past year. We enjoyed a short 10 minute walk to local train station and five train stops later......we were in downtown Munich! Our room was tidy and clean. We found the bed to be very comfortable and the shower worked well. The biggest surprise was the breakfast buffet! If you're looking for a hotel that has good value with a very good location, I would suggest the Courtyard Munich City East.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Breakfast I good, but, it's uncomfortably warm in the restaurant and it's the middle of winter.
The room is ok, but warm air is constantly pumped in the room, even with the window open it's uncomfortable.
Internet is really slow. Courtyard in the US is known as a business hotel, but this hotel is definitely not geared towards business travelers.
The location isn't bad, it's 3 stops to marienplatz (Munich city center) by the a train.
I'm a platinum member with Marriott but I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 505 has a major water leak when taking a shower, avoid it.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tim B
Kayhan K, Manager at Courtyard Munich City East, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Tim B,

Thank you very much for your honest feedback.

Although it is nice to hear that you liked our very popular breakfast buffet, we are sorry to hear that you perceived the temperature within our Hotel as unpleasant during the period of your stay. In the guest rooms, temperature and airflow can be regulated with the AC control panel. Our Front Office- and Maintenance teams are happy to assist with potential issues regarding the air conditioning system like malfunction. In the public areas, the temperature is controlled continuously and adjusted by our maintenance team if necessary.

We would like to apologize for the lack of speed of the internet connection during your stay and will review this matter thoroughly and make adjustments if the problem persists.

We would be glad if you gave us a chance to improve your first impression of our hotel during your next visit to Munich.

With best regards,
Kayhan Kilit, General Manager
Orange, California
Reviewed December 7, 2013

The Courtyard Munich City East is located about 10 minutes from the city center, but has a very convenient location. Located only minutes from the Ostbahnhof it is an easy walk to the hotel. After exiting the station, make a left and the main road will take you there in minutes. If loaded with luggage, you can also hop on the #19 tram which almost drops you off directly in front of the hotel.

There is also a small super market across the street from the train station, so you can load up on supplies such as water and snacks.

The hotel has a somewhat strange set up, as it is directly linked with Marriott Residence Inn next door. You can access both hotels from the lobby, or even on each floor of the hotel.

As you enter the hotel, the front desk is slightly to the left. Check-in was quick and my Ritz Carlton Platinum status was quickly recognized. To my surprise, I was also informed that as a Platinum member I could also have breakfast in the restaurant. Courtyard typically doesn’t provide breakfast for guests no matter what their elite status may be.

I was upgraded to a Superior Room, which is somewhat large by European standards. It is not cramped by any means as there is ample room to maneuver around the room. I redeemed a free night certificate for the room thanks to one of the frequent promotions Marriott runs almost every quarter in which a free night certificate is awarded for every 2 stays. The certificates are typically for Category 1-4, or 1-5 hotels. For some reason, rates were very high during my stay. I stayed after Oktoberfest, but rates were ~€450 per night.

As you enter the room, the bathroom is to the right.

There is a single sink with ample counter space.

There is a shower with no tub. Water pressure and temperature were excellent.

There is a small desk with not much work space. If on a business trip and a large work space is needed, this might be a bit of a challenge.

The coffee maker is located on the desk.

There is a small sitting area with chair.

The bed is a bit firm, but comfortable enough to get a good night’s sleep.

Breakfast is served in the restaurant next door at the Residence Inn but can be accessed without leaving the Courtyard property.

The buffet is expansive with hot items including scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, roasted tomatoes, oatmeal and beans.

Cold options include bread, pastries, bagels, fruit, yogurt, cereal, smoked salmon and meats, salad and a wide array of juices to choose from.

The Residence Inn section of the hotel does have a washer and dryer for use. You need to buy tokens from the front desk. It costs €4 for the washer and dryer. The dryer is not very efficient, and if you open the door during the cycle you would need to put in another token. It would probably take 2 drying cycles to dry your clothes though.

Although not in the city center, the hotel is very convenient to get to and a little bit closer to the airport. I wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in Sept 2013.
I did enjoy this hotel as it was the last week in Europe and i was missing a North American feel :)
Wi-Fi only works in the lobby which kind of sucked but seems to be the standard.
Before booking, I had looked over many reviews and a common complaint was that there was no restaurants nearby and all amenities were miles away. We walked for maybe 30 secs and saw the first restaurant. Walked around the corner...another. A pub down the street. A pizza place, a steak house....the best Indian food i have ever tasted down the road! Also...the train station had markets, bagels, Turkish food, fresh fruit ect.
So....there is food! Don't waste your money on the overpriced lounge (which is also fine...but pricey 15 euro for a clubhouse)
My room was clean, the bathroom was large. I personally liked the location and after 5 nights found the city of Munich very easy to navigate.
Great Place!

Lastly...the best part of this hotel was the price:) I got if off of Priceline for $50 a night!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a long weekend with my Girlfriend.
Hotel was conveniently located by the main station giving direct link to the airport and city centre.
The hotel was very clean and modern, the room extremely spacious and comfortable with everything we needed for our stay.
Breakfast was buffet style and was always good and plentiful whatever time you came down.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple