“I won't stay here again”

Courtyard Munich City East
Ranked #122 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Munich, Germany
“I won't stay here again”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Breakfast I good, but, it's uncomfortably warm in the restaurant and it's the middle of winter.
The room is ok, but warm air is constantly pumped in the room, even with the window open it's uncomfortable.
Internet is really slow. Courtyard in the US is known as a business hotel, but this hotel is definitely not geared towards business travelers.
The location isn't bad, it's 3 stops to marienplatz (Munich city center) by the a train.
I'm a platinum member with Marriott but I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 505 has a major water leak when taking a shower, avoid it.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tim B
Kayhan K, Manager at Courtyard Munich City East, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Tim B,

Thank you very much for your honest feedback.

Although it is nice to hear that you liked our very popular breakfast buffet, we are sorry to hear that you perceived the temperature within our Hotel as unpleasant during the period of your stay. In the guest rooms, temperature and airflow can be regulated with the AC control panel. Our Front Office- and Maintenance teams are happy to assist with potential issues regarding the air conditioning system like malfunction. In the public areas, the temperature is controlled continuously and adjusted by our maintenance team if necessary.

We would like to apologize for the lack of speed of the internet connection during your stay and will review this matter thoroughly and make adjustments if the problem persists.

We would be glad if you gave us a chance to improve your first impression of our hotel during your next visit to Munich.

With best regards,
Kayhan Kilit, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Orange, California
Reviewed December 7, 2013

The Courtyard Munich City East is located about 10 minutes from the city center, but has a very convenient location. Located only minutes from the Ostbahnhof it is an easy walk to the hotel. After exiting the station, make a left and the main road will take you there in minutes. If loaded with luggage, you can also hop on the #19 tram which almost drops you off directly in front of the hotel.

There is also a small super market across the street from the train station, so you can load up on supplies such as water and snacks.

The hotel has a somewhat strange set up, as it is directly linked with Marriott Residence Inn next door. You can access both hotels from the lobby, or even on each floor of the hotel.

As you enter the hotel, the front desk is slightly to the left. Check-in was quick and my Ritz Carlton Platinum status was quickly recognized. To my surprise, I was also informed that as a Platinum member I could also have breakfast in the restaurant. Courtyard typically doesn’t provide breakfast for guests no matter what their elite status may be.

I was upgraded to a Superior Room, which is somewhat large by European standards. It is not cramped by any means as there is ample room to maneuver around the room. I redeemed a free night certificate for the room thanks to one of the frequent promotions Marriott runs almost every quarter in which a free night certificate is awarded for every 2 stays. The certificates are typically for Category 1-4, or 1-5 hotels. For some reason, rates were very high during my stay. I stayed after Oktoberfest, but rates were ~€450 per night.

As you enter the room, the bathroom is to the right.

There is a single sink with ample counter space.

There is a shower with no tub. Water pressure and temperature were excellent.

There is a small desk with not much work space. If on a business trip and a large work space is needed, this might be a bit of a challenge.

The coffee maker is located on the desk.

There is a small sitting area with chair.

The bed is a bit firm, but comfortable enough to get a good night’s sleep.

Breakfast is served in the restaurant next door at the Residence Inn but can be accessed without leaving the Courtyard property.

The buffet is expansive with hot items including scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, roasted tomatoes, oatmeal and beans.

Cold options include bread, pastries, bagels, fruit, yogurt, cereal, smoked salmon and meats, salad and a wide array of juices to choose from.

The Residence Inn section of the hotel does have a washer and dryer for use. You need to buy tokens from the front desk. It costs €4 for the washer and dryer. The dryer is not very efficient, and if you open the door during the cycle you would need to put in another token. It would probably take 2 drying cycles to dry your clothes though.

Although not in the city center, the hotel is very convenient to get to and a little bit closer to the airport. I wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in Sept 2013.
I did enjoy this hotel as it was the last week in Europe and i was missing a North American feel :)
Wi-Fi only works in the lobby which kind of sucked but seems to be the standard.
Before booking, I had looked over many reviews and a common complaint was that there was no restaurants nearby and all amenities were miles away. We walked for maybe 30 secs and saw the first restaurant. Walked around the corner...another. A pub down the street. A pizza place, a steak house....the best Indian food i have ever tasted down the road! Also...the train station had markets, bagels, Turkish food, fresh fruit ect.
So....there is food! Don't waste your money on the overpriced lounge (which is also fine...but pricey 15 euro for a clubhouse)
My room was clean, the bathroom was large. I personally liked the location and after 5 nights found the city of Munich very easy to navigate.
Great Place!

Lastly...the best part of this hotel was the price:) I got if off of Priceline for $50 a night!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a long weekend with my Girlfriend.
Hotel was conveniently located by the main station giving direct link to the airport and city centre.
The hotel was very clean and modern, the room extremely spacious and comfortable with everything we needed for our stay.
Breakfast was buffet style and was always good and plentiful whatever time you came down.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Nice, clean, conveniently located American-style hotel in east Munich, very close to the Munich East train station which has local and long distance trains. The Max restaurant in the hotel is quite good and there are other good restaurant choices nearby. However, do not buy the in-room wireless internet! My colleague and I both purchased it and it was unbelievably slow. I did a speed test and it was operating at 87 kbs!!! That's barely faster than old-style dial up, and they want EU12.50 per day for the priviledge of sitting there and watching nothing happen on a screen.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ChicagoBizTraveler
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This was the perfect spot to stay in Munich -- 2 minute walk to the East station which will take you downtown in 5 minutes. The nice part is, at the end of the day you are away from all the hustle and bustle.

The rooms are very modern and quite large. The TV actually has English stations which is a huge plus! WiFi is free in the lobbys and they have nice couches to sit on while you use it. Staff is friendly and accommodating -- you can tell they know their city and are happy to help you in any way possible.

Breakfast was the best of our 7-city trip -- both hot and cold items. More food than you can imagine. If we return to Munich, this would definitely be our go-to hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed here for one night using my husband's Marriott points redemption. It was a nice, modern hotel that is not far from Munich East Train Station.

I like this train station because it is a shorter ride to MUC airport. We were also able to use the public transportation for our sight seeing in Munich that day.

Wifi is free because my husband is a Gold member for Marriott. Otherwise I think it will cost 25EURO extra. However, we found the internet connection to be incredibly slow in Germany. If we had to pay the extra $$ for this slow connection, I think we would like it even less.

My husband and I actually found time to work out in their fitness room which was quite nice. We had a good night stay here and I had no complaints.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple