“Clean, nice rooms and very friendly and knowledgeable staff.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Munich City East

Courtyard Munich City East
Ranked #103 of 381 Hotels in Munich
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Clean, nice rooms and very friendly and knowledgeable staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We LOVED staying here. Not in the busy area, but really close to train line and easy to get anywhere. American accommodations - extremely clean and comfortable (lots of space) with SUPER friendly staff! They recommended places to go, eat and all were great.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ShellyWando

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Golden Valley, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard Munich City East in August for work. My office is southeast of the city and I found this to be a great location. It's a short walk to the Ostbahnhof (approx 5 minutes - close enough to get there quickly, far enough you don't have to listen to the trains in your room.) It's also close to downtown for some sightseeing in the down hours.

My company had a policy of staying at Courtyards and of the two in the city I prefer this one. Both are nice, but I liked the neighborhood that the Courtyard East was in better. It seems to be more residential with some nice sit down places to eat close by. The staff is also incredibly helpful and nice at both locations.

My room was comfortable, clean, and quiet. A highlight of the room for me, is the shower. It is very American. I'm not so good with the tiny European showers and usually end up making a mess, but that's not a problem here.

Finally, my stay included breakfast. I highly recommend the breakfast here. There are plentiful and tasty choices that have an international flair. You can have museli, weisswurst, or a bacon and eggs. All of it good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have stayed at this site several times while on business trips to Munich. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The restaurant and bar on the ground floor are a great place to relax after a busy day of meetings.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

This is my Favourite hotel in München the fact that it's just outside of the city centre means that it's quiter ont he streets but has wonderful views of the courtyard behind the hotel. I tend to come to Munich at least once a year and most times if the hotel isn't booked out I stay here. The staff are wonderful and friendly the rooms are excellent and of course the best thing about a marriot is its rooms. Marriott have the best beds in the world I have traveled alot and so has my father and we both agree the best nights sleep is in a Marriott bed. Easy access to the centre of mich or Marienplatz is 2 stops on almost any train line going back towards the cit.

I prefer to eat away from hotels in general so dinner in the centre of the city is always my first option; in the morning the train station itself has three bakeries so the options are truly at your disposal if you aren't wanting to head into the city.

Generally lower price then the center of the city which means even if you include a nights parking then you normally still work out cheaper then the cost of the room elsewhere...though that is if you book in advance as any hotel in any city the later you leave it the more the price crawls up.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

This wonderful hotel is about 7 minutes from the Oostbanhof by foot, making it easy to get to the airport, downtown, or anywhere else in Bavaria with relative ease. It's situated in a charming residential area, and with some exploration one can find fantastic restaurants, decent shopping and street markets and fairs. It really is a nice alternative to the busy, super-touristy Courtyard by the train station.

The hotel is pretty new and the room furnishings are adequate and clean. I found the staff to be uniformly polite and helpful and the room itself to be exceptionally comfortable.

I would definitely stay here again next time, if only to escape the craziness of central Munich.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

€5 for half a liter of water (this is in the room and not even served to you by a waiter)? €19.90 for internet?

The room was really comfortable and clean and perfectly comfortable (first hotel in a week we had with an aircon!!). The location is excellent for getting to the airport (it's a 10 minute stroll to Ostbahnhof). The reception staff were very helpful (Moritz helped with check-in and check-out and he was just great). The breakfast was amazing - loads of stuff and everything was fresh and tasted great.

Despite all of this, I'm still a bit annoyed with the exorbitant costs of all the extras. I realise that hotels have to make money, but they are simply losing a revenue stream from tourists like me who refuse to be ripped off (I'm sure there are probably many companies who don't mind paying for this, but management would probably have to weigh up whether it's worth trying to squeeze every last euro out of travellers like me).

Instead of spending €4.20 for a beer from the "shop" - which I probably only would have bought two for €8.40), I walked down to the station and bought (from what would normally be considered an expensive shop) four beers for €7.20. If I made it earlier, I probably could have got it even cheaper from the Aldi or Lidl. The same went for the internet, instead of spending €19.90 at the hotel, I activated a data pass on my mobile phone for less than a quarter of the price.

We spent some money at the bar, but had the prices been slightly more reasonable, this hotel would actually have made more money off us, instead of spending it elsewhere.

It is a pity that I couldn't give a better rating because other than feeling that they are trying to squeeze every last cent out of me, it was a good place; however, it was an overwhelming feeling and you are reminded of it every time you look at the half litre bottle of water with the big €5 price tag on it in your room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mulderpf
Kayhan K, General Manager at Courtyard Munich City East, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear mulderpf,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share some of the impressions of your stay in our hotel.

It is pleasant to hear that you have enjoyed many amenities of our property, such as the convenient location, comfortable rooms and the breakfast buffet.
Additionally, Moritz will be happy to hear that he has left a lasting impression after your check out!

Please be assured that our Hotel is not trying to rip off guests in any way and that our prices are calculated based on our costs and the services we offer at our property.

Since guest feedback is very important for us in order to deliver highest levels of guest satisfaction, we appreciate your review and look forward to welcoming you again at our hotel.
With best regards,

Kayhan Kilit
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed in Courtyard Hotel Munich City East for 1 night only in June and was not really impressed with the hotel. After check-in I went to the room and tried to work but it was frezzing in the room and the A/C control was not working at all. The hotel stuff first offered an electric heater to be placed in the room to "compensate" the cool from the A/C....
I refused it and asked for an other room, but it had the same issue with the A/C it was operating on max cooling mode... the outside temperature that day was 12 degrees in Munich, so the room was literally freezing. At reception the stuff told me that this was an issue with the general A/C system but someone would come and turned up the "default temp. value" for the A/C. This never happened so I finally requested for the electric heater, put it on max, and it somehow compensated the aricon.
Probably the worst hotel experience I ever had so far... Stuff was not really speak English. the only positive experience was the on-site restaurant which had amazing food, but that's all.
Definitely not going back or would not recommend it...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Kayhan K, Manager at Courtyard Munich City East, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear GergoV84,
We are very sorry to hear about the unpleasant experiences during your stay at our hotel. We understand that our air condition system was perceived as unpleasantly cold for you. Our associates are trained to do all we can to solve such a problem. Therefore, a better solution than a portable heater should have been proposed to you without doubt. The fact that you were promised a person to help that never showed up does not reflect our standard of service and is not acceptable. Hence, we investigated who was on duty during your stay and addressed this topic directly with the respective associate.
We are constantly screening the language skills of our associates and provide extensive training if necessary. We would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention and assure you that we will watch this topic closely.
Your appreciation of our restaurant’s quality is a great pleasure to us and our new chef, whose food you were able to try.
We hope that you accept our sincere apologies and that you give us the chance of a second impression during your next visit to Munich.
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback,
with best regards