“New, spacous and clean”

Courtyard Munich City East
Ranked #110 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This Courtyard is brand new. We stayed here twice within a week, and got to stayed in two different room. Both were special room with king size bed facing the courtyard/private apartments on the rear.

I like it that everything is new and very clean. The first room we stayed came with a shower, and the second one came with a tub. I don't like the tub very much because it came with a glass panel that does not seal properly at the bottom against the tub. So, after taking shower, the floor of the bathroom were all wet. It took a couple of days before we figured out a workaround, that is to slightly turn the glass panel inside the tub, which however reduce the space to move.

There are plenty of outlets in the room but all, except one in the bathroom are European style at 240V. The outlet turns off if the room keycard is not left into the slot near the door. So we can't really leave anything charging when we leave the room.

The wireless internet in our first room was quite bad, but the access point was right outside our 2nd room. However, I think the access points are weak, I see many access points in the hall way, so not sure why it was so bad in our first one. We got our internet for free since my wife is platinum member. Otherwise we would not have paid for it. For those worried about internet access, get yourself an unlocked gsm cell phone, and get a Lebara sim card from the Call Shop right outside the Ost station. It costs 20 Euro including 10 Euro credit for voice and 500GB of data. You can then tether it to allow your notebook or other devices to share the bandwidth, and you can have internet even outside of your hotel too. I got very good 4G signal in both of the rooms using my phone.

The staffs are the front desks are very friendly and speak perfect English.

The breakfast is quite nice. According to my wife, it's better than any Marriott's breakfast she has stayed in the US. At least we did not get bored eating there 6 times.

The location is quite good. There is a bus and tram station within 30 meters, right outside Motel One next door. Tram #19 takes you to the National Theater, through the outside of OST. There is also a supermarket Lidl around the corner after Motel One. You can get drinking water there for 50cents a big bottle. However, we prefer to go to the one next to the station because it's bigger, and more of their staffs speaks English. There is also big Sixt rental within 10 minutes walk on Eiensteinstrasse. We got our rental car there. It is possible to park your car outside the hotel for 10-15 minutes if you need to pick up or drop of. No body cares.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank holich

Reviewed July 17, 2012

This is a good hotel for the price, close to the bus and train station for easy navigating in Munich. The room was large by Germany standards. Parking is way over priced so think twice about renting a car, but the overall stay is very acceptable. Restaurant and bar were good too, check out the Mexican Colada at happy hour!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I travel a fair amount, and I have stayed in some really terrible hotels. This isn't one of them. The hotel was clean, the room was sunny and comfortable, and the staff were friendly. However, this is not the Marriott I have come to know in my travels. This place is trying to charge 19 Euros a day for internet access. Really? 19 Euros a day? Even the guy at the desk thought it was ridiculous, apologized, and later told us that he pays 34 Euros a month for internet service at his flat.

Don't get me wrong, I know you are running a business here, but that is pretty terrible service. In a day and age when even the lowest of the low hotels are giving internet service away, I expect better from a hotel of the Cortyard's caliber. There was free internet at the "business center" which was a joke. They had two computers, not much of a "center" if you ask me.

Beyond the internet, this is a modern hotel, with pretty much everything you need. The hotel bar could have done with some ambient music playing to fill the cavernous bar / restaurant area, but after the internet debacle I had already given up on this place. One night my brother and I asked the woman at the front desk where we should go to eat, and she pointed us to a great area. Bonus points for the great staff!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank NEliving
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Spacious, comfortable rooms with very comfy bed. Only stayed one night but would have been glad to stay more. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Walking distance from the Ostbanhof - maybe 5 min wheeling my suitcase. Good lunch at their restaurant, and they directed me to a nice Italian restaurant wihtin walking distance for dinner. i will probably be back. Agree with others in complaining about WiFi cost. reception was fine in my room - but Euro 19 for one day really does seem outrageous.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Yeah I have to admit first that the hotel service is not bad, first of all.
But when it comes to the internet access, things are just terrible. I can not understand why a hotel like this do not provide free WIFI. NEVER MIND, I PAY for it!
I stayed here for like about 20 days. The first weekend, I purchased a two day usage for 19 Euros each day. The front desk told me that I DO NOT need to pay for another device for internet accessing, because I already paid for the whole day.
BUT in the next week, things are changing! The front desk this time told me I need to pay for each device using the internet! This is totally unacceptable! So I refused to pay another 19Euros. Why? It is still not end of the story. When I asked the front desk to help me log out for a notebook so I can use another device, she told me that it is impossible, which, is obviously described in the website of their internet access page! FOR MULTI-USE!
The front desk's attitude was no good anymore when I tried to explain that the last time I was using two devices and it was totally fine.

This is impressive, I never been through this before! This is the hotel I will never try anymore!

A tip for who ever using this hotel:
If you do want to use the internet, remember that they are recognizing the device by wireless MAC addr, so if you want to change to another device, just change the MAC addr to the one you used to log in!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Robbie Z
Reviewed June 20, 2012

It is very conveniently located two blocks from the Munchen Ost train station with fast access to Marionplatz and the main train station. This is a very new facility with great security. You need a room key card just to operate the elevator. If you drive, be sure to check in and get your key card first before you try to park below in the garage. (That entrance is just north of the main door.) You need the key card just to get into the building from the garage, then the elevator. The room was very nicely furnished with a great bed. It had an iron and ironing board as is usually found in a Marriott property. The closet was very poorly designed. The hanging bar was very short and installed front to back instead of left to right. That made for some very clumsy clothes hanging and certainly didn't provide much space for two people. At the same time, the other side of the closet had a stack of big, useless drawers. A complete waste of space. Whoever designed that closet should have his/her pencil broken and banned from designing anything. It was clearly some sort of "style" over function. If you ask nice, and tell the desk person at the Residence Inn next door that you're a Marriott Gold/Platinum customer, they will let you use the laundry in that building by giving you a temporary key card for the laundry. Your Courtyard card won't get you in that room. There is a shopping area across from the train station and you can eat there and even buy a few snacks at the grocery. Beginning on Friday, there is an open market in the plaza there. Overall, an excellent stay for very few Marriott Rewards points.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ReglMad
Reviewed June 17, 2012

stayed over the weekend and the courtyard seemed like it is new..next to the residence inn which also seem new...a 5 min walk from the ostbahnhof (east station)...room is large and clean and bright....price was very reasonable for such a nice hotel...3 ubahn stops into the marienplatz...30 minutes direct train to/from airport....definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: ask for a rear facing room (not as noisy)