“Great location but room selection matters”
Review of Hotel Herzog

Hotel Herzog
Ranked #146 of 389 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed June 2012. The location is great, just a half-block walk from the metro stop and for those considering it during Oktoberfest, it's about 2-3 blocks from the fairgrounds. It's also near the University, situated on a main street but in a quieter section. Several bars, restaurants, and take-away eats are nearby.

The restaurant at the hotel is very good. It's Italian -- oddly, we'd just come from Italy and we kind of taken aback but it was very good. The staff were great, the ambiance is perfect, and the bar/lounge area is very inviting.

There is free WiFi in the hotel. A bit tricky for iPhone users but I connected my blackberry and droid tablet without issues.

The hotel itself has potential but it was just OK. We booked what we thought was a modern looking room through a Hotels reservation website. When we checked in however, we were up-charged 20 euro per person per night! The room we got for the extra 40 was exactly as we had seen online. Newly renovated, modern, comfortable. Unfortunately, between the gurgling pipes in the sink and the slamming doors and shouting from the next door/in-house restaurant kept us awake all night long. The next night we were switched to a new room on the ground level. Unfortunately, we had the same (though lesser) gurgling pipes, same slamming doors/shouts, and now add in cigarette smoke. We are fairly tolerant -- it is Europe after all -- but being now RIGHT NEXT to the kitchen, we endured one smoke break after another, wafting right into our room and it was a bit much. Closing the windows helped the smoke but the AC did not work as well as we'd hoped. The silver lining here is that when we checked out, I explained the experience and before I had to ask, the hostess waived the 40 euro per night up-charge (we stayed 5 days so it was a pretty substantial up-charge).

All in all, the place wasn't terrible but there are better values -- places that appear to be just as nice or nicer that won't up-charge. If you're going to be there for more than a day or two, definitely ask for a courtyard/garden room on the upper floor, as far away from the kitchen as possible.

By the way, some of the reviews for other hotels suggest that the area near the main train station is "seedy" or "sketchy" are over-represented. Given what I know now about the city, it is a little worse than some other parts of the city but overall Munich is one of the safest, cleanest cities I've been to Europe and "the sketchy part" of Munich is probably better than some of the better areas in most major cities.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard/garden room on the upper floor, as far away from the kitchen as possible.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank p_s_carpenter

Reviewed June 9, 2012

Affordable, convenient and clean. Although you have to cab it from the Central Station, Hotel Herzog is a straight ride down and is in walking distance to Marienplatz (take Sendlinger if you want to stroll and shop). The Hotel Herzog is situated in a quiet neighborhood a block from the Goetheplatz train station. It did not look like much from the outside so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw my room. The room I stayed in had a modern design--warm earth tones, individual shower with a ceiling showerhead, separate room/closet for the toilet, cozy comforters, flat screen, wifi, and a balcony that overlooked the courtyard. The shower has a glass wall that faces the living room. There is a shutter that folds over the glass but if you are sharing the room with a friend it could be awkward. The elevator is tiny. It holds 2 people and 2 suitcases, moreorless. When you get off the elevator, you will have to go down a few steps. If you have a big, heavy suitcase like I did, this may be a bit inconvenient. There is a restaurant called the Olivetta attached to the hotel. The pizza and salad were tasty and the breakfast was good for 9 euros pp. You can't charge your bill to the room so bring cash or a card. Service was great.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank travelnomi
Reviewed February 1, 2012

we stayed here from 30 december till 7 january.
+good location - near to marien-platz & other places of interest
+good breakfast - italian restaurant in the hotel is too pretty & tasty

- too noisy personal - early in the morning they begin to talk near the room

but at all - very good place, especially for 3 *

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alexandragv
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I stayed in the Herzog for 5 nights in September 2011. Minuses to me were it was a bit far from where the tourist busses depart and required a taxi whyich cost about 10 Euros each way. There was no air conditioning although that was not a problem when I was there, Street noise was a bit of an issue, but the main problem that I had were the pillows which were absolutely horrible.
That is the minuses, now for the plusses!. The staff were absolutley fantastic, So helpful and so eager to be helpful that at times it was almost embarassing! The same comment applies to the Manager. Really wonderful people all of whom spoke near perfect English. Room size was good and the bathjroom was reasonably good.
Next door is the Oliveto Restaurant which is just fantastic. Wonferful food, great service and good prices. Staff just like the Hotel, go out of their way to please. They speak good English as well.
I think you will find some minuses with any Hotel and really the Herzog's minuses were not of much signifance. If I ever return to beautiful Munich there would be one and only one Hotel where I would stay and that is the Herzog. I give it an overall score of 8+ out of 10.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the front, to overcome street noise which is a minor problem.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank kersan
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Company decided to cut costs so we had to find a decent option, well located and for a budget price.
67 euros/night in Goethplatz made this hotel an option.
The room I got was almost new. Modern design, similar to the Cocoon hotel (same group). But I've heard that some other rooms are older and not so nice.
Didn't try the breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for the new rooms and turned to the back yard.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The rooms were nice looking with modern furniture (I had a Mediterranean room with windows to the courtyard), the bed was comfortable, but the service and the restaurant could be better and it would also have been nice to have a minibar and a possibility to have tea in your room. I and my colleague also saw a mouse running on the floor of the restaurant when we had breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the courtyard are quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Annika H
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Been in this hotel for 3 nights with my wife & 7 years old son.
Friendly & helpful staff. The rooms however have seen better days. Although an adequate size, they need refurbishing, especially the bathroom. The bathroom is very small and had a lot of mould-spots, and some parts of the tap where broken and no water-pressure.
Location is very good 2 min walk to underground train, and a quiet neighborhood.
Breakfast was very good there were plenty meats, cheeses, boiled & scrambled eggs, bread an Espresso/Macchiato coffee machine and more

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family