“Centrally located but sketchy”
Review of Hotel Wallis

Hotel Wallis
Ranked #241 of 389 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Pros: Excellent location (ten minute walk to Marienplatz - subway stop and access to underground shops, etc. around the corner). Fantastic breakfast spread compared to other European hotels but not North American standards (i.e. no bacon, eggs, etc). Especially loved the coffee with steamed milk and fresh baked pastries. I was with a group and was given a triple which was spacious. Others weren't so lucky and had tiny rooms with two twins.

Cons: McDonalds next door resulting in tons of garbage in huge bins right on the narrow sidewalk in front of the small hotel entrance. A bit of a red light district - lots of sex shops, etc. in the area (i.e. right across the street - that was the view from my room). They charge 5 euros per day for wifi. As with other older European hotels, they have a one key system per room which is very inconvenient if you're not travelling alone.

Overall: I'm sure you can do better.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Clean but in a little rough part of town. Casino right below our room but not too bad. We actually stayed at the Hotel President owned by the same people. Very friendly staff that gave us lots of information on Christmas festivals and where to avoid.

Room Tip: Like most hotels in Europe, try and stay away from the street side due to noise.
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Wallis at the beginning of December. It was less than a 10 minute walk from the train station with our luggage. We arrived at night and easily found the hotel, on a night there are takeaways, Adult video stores and clubs. I was had read that the area was seedy but I never felt uncomfortable or had any issues. Munich felt a much safer city than many others I have visited!

The hotel itself was very clean and welcoming and staff spoke good English and were very helpful in giving us advice. The bedroom was clean and quite small but more than adequate for a 2 night stay. It was very warm in the room but we managed to turn the radiator down which made it more pleasant even though it was freezing outside!

It is less than a 10 minute walk to Marienplatz which is where we headed to as we only had 1 full day in Munich.

The breakfast was very nice and had a good selection.

We got a good price for this hotel for two nights and breakfast and I would stay here again if I got a similar deal due to the location.

1  Thank HolidayCaz
Reviewed January 2, 2013

The hotel room was quite nicely decorated and warm. Hotel staff were very nice and helpful. Breakfast was with a variety of choices but food quality was average. The worst point was wifi was not included. We were asked to pay an extra of 5 euro. I know it was not a lot but perhaps the hotel can include it in the room price to let the guests feel more welcoming? Wifi is almost free everywhere these days.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Rooms very hot even though we where there in December. Great if u like to be toasty my Dad would have loved it. Only one English speaking Chanel on the Tv CNN news but not there for the TV. Room at the back of the hotel very quiet great for a light sleeper. Breakfast really nice. All in all I would recommend this hotel and return.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Millweir
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Impossible to find a good hotel, in a good location, with a good price during Oktoberfest so comparing to the options I think Wallis Hotel was a good choice.

Do not expect luxury, we stayed in a non renovated room which has a good size but old furniture. Bathroom very clean and with tub.

The double bed was actually two twins mattress, unfortunately in our room they were not equal, one mattress was soft and the other was firm, so weird.

Internet costs five Euros per day, which for me it’s a huge con of this hotel, we were paying that much to stay there so we decide not to take it. At least we could use for free a very old computer at lobby;

The breakfast was a good surprise. A lot of options of food and beverages. The staff was very friendly also.

I didn´t get a good first impression of the neighborhood, it´s kind of ugly, crowed and with some night clubs. But it proved to be close to everything , safe and not noisy at night, so I liked. The location is very convenient because it’s close to the main train station, Hauptbahnhof, but also close to the old town.

Some meters away from the hotel is Karlsplatz, a huge metro station with a lot of underground stores. From Karlsplatz you can take the metro (U-Bahn) and the second station will be Theresienwiese , practically “inside” Oktoberfest which was perfect for us.
If you decide to go to old town is just cross Karlsplatz and you see the charm of Munich. A lot of old buildings and attractions as Frauerkirche, Marienplatz and Residenz. A lot of department stores and nice cafes will entertain you too. Don’t miss Hofbrauhaus, the famous brewery.

I recommend this hotel depending of the rate. Next time I will try to book even earlier and try to found a reasonable rate in old town which I consider a prettier location (not necessary better).

Cons: Internet not free, two twin beds for couple, old furniture, overpriced

Pros: Breakfast, staff, location, cost-benefit compared to other Munich hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarianaCCS
Reviewed November 5, 2012

During my stay in Munich I was accommodated in a very charming hotel Wallis. The hotel was very clean and tidy, and the staff was extremely helpful. Breakfast was also very good.

Just 300 meters from the hotel there's Karl Platz. From the Karl Platz starts walking zone and all the major attractions in Munich can be seen without using public transport. We took a day ticket only when we went to visit the castle Nymphenburg and Olympic Center.

From the Metro station Karl Plaz train S8 departs every 20 minutes to the airport so it is very easy to get there. The hotel is actually in a great position. I recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple