“Really worth the price I paid for”
Review of Hotel Regent

Hotel Regent
Ranked #301 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I was there last week. I was really tired after a long trip and I had a warm welcome from the receptionist when I arrived at the hotel. That was enough for me. In the evening I went to the hotel's restaurant and had the most amazing meat platter and beer I ever tasted. Service was good and quite fast. While I waited, fresh and warm bread was served on the table. It was topped up as soon as it finished.
The room was lovely and very clean. I was surprised that I got a lovely room for a very reasonable price. The good thing is that there is a shuttle service to and from the hotel for a reasonable price. Can't wait to go again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

This is by far the worse hotel we have stayed in by far. Outdated, old and dirty. No air conditioning made sleeping a nightmare and there were no spare fans left the three times that we asked reception for one. The lifts were dirty and one morning the floor of the lift was swimming in a sticky liquid. Stained light shades, grubby quilts and shabby furniture were such a let down in this old tired hotel. Time to renovate and get with the times Regent

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Spent 7 nights here, and really cannot say anything bad about the Regent. You definitely are not paying for 4 or 5-star service...the rooms are very plain. Our room had all the basics, plus double sinks and free Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi wasn't spectacular -- I had a few issues uploading the day's photos -- but it sufficed for our needs.

That being said, I thought the location was more or less ideal for seeing the city. The hotel is positioned across the street from Munich Central Station (Hauptbahnhof), where you can catch any of the local S or U trains (as well as regional and long distance train services). Plus, the tram is a straight shot up to Nymphenburg Palace. If you like to walk, Karlsplatz shopping center is less than 10 minutes away on foot, as are a number of landmarks. We stayed in a southern-facing room on the 6th floor, and we had a decent view of St. Pauls Cathedral.

All things considered, a great hotel in the value category.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Poor show overall from the Hotel Regent, a tired hotel which needs a complete renovation to bring it into the 21st century. I would say overall its decor is looking very dated and that's just on arrival at reception.

The room we were allocated was clearly nearing the end of its working life, and the following points illustrate this:
(a) stained carpets;
(b) stained sheets;
(c) stained lampshades (?!?!);
(d) dirty smoked stained walls;
(e) tired dated bathroom (well a shower room in essence);
(e) old fashioned CRT TV - it felt like a museum piece; and
(f) no air conditioning facilities

That was just the room's faults. Turning to the breakfast facilities the waiting staff were very pleasant, and the selection of foods on offer was certainly wide and comprehensive but then the sheen came off the overall impression. The coffee was completely disgusting, I refused to drink it and used to go to the Hauptbahnhof and buy coffee there for 1€ each morning. I wanted real coffee not some black substance which was thoroughly revolting so I'd avoid at all costs. It was I suspect instant coffee. But the worst thing about the breakfast was the shambolic layout of the serving counters as there was no thought given as to how customers would flow through the queue selecting what they needed as continental meats and cheeses were on the first counter, then there were plates and an odd assortment including cereals and sausages and viennoiserie on the next counter. The result? People getting in line and moving down and then when deciding what they wanted they had to do an about turn and go back in the queue and interrupt the natural flow. It felt chaotic and not an efficient system at all.

I noticed some other rooms on our floor had had a minimalist refit already but we were the unlucky ones to be given, in my view, a substandard room. In retrospect I should have complained but in all honesty I was there to see the city and didn't want to dwell in the hotel too much, it was a place of rest more than anything. So whilst it is a good budget hotel I don't think it should be anything more than a 2 star hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Ilrisorgimento
Reviewed June 27, 2013

spent two nights there recently. No air con and rooms were very hot. Opening the window also let the noise in. Bathrooms were very tired and grubby. Lifts small, at best two people and their luggage can fit. The area around the hotel can get very noisy with many bars open until late. only a short walk to the pedestrian mall but not a pleasant one. personally until they spend some money on it I would try elsewhere for now.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main street and lower floor as they are cooler
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2013

we has spent 3 nights on regent hotel. we asked for twin beds and so we had.
the wi fi was excellent inside our room! the service staff was very kind and helpful. i just think that they have to do some renovation to the rooms, but it doesnt change the fact that this is a very good hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had to spend 3 nights in the Regent as part of a tour. The room was dirty, no a/c and really noisy on the street all hours of the night. Several people asked for one extra pillow and were told no.I would not want to stay here again at any price.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple