New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Exquisit Hotel

Exquisit Hotel
Ranked #125 of 395 Hotels in Munich
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Wonderful hotel in the Sendlinger Tor area of Munich”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Exquisit Hotel in Munich, Germany for 3 nights during a vacation in November 2012. It was a wonderful place to stay and would recommend it again. I will review the pros and cons:

PROS:

(1) Location. Located off of a quiet street in the (active and busy) Sendlinger Tor area of Munich. The Exquisit Hotel is a minute walk to the U-bahn (subway) which can take you almost anywhere in Munich. It was an easy 10 minute walk to the Hauptbahnhof (or you can simply take the U-bahn) and there are many restaurants and shops in the area (note: Under section 3, I list a couple of local restaurants worth checking out). There is also a large pharmacy (Marien Apotheke) at the end of the street that had English speaking staff if you need any OTC meds.

(2) Staff. The staff at the Exquisit Hotel were polite and very eager to please. If we needed directions, assistance, or recommendations, the staff was ready and willing to help out. My understanding is that the Exquisit Hotel is a family business and they work very hard to satisfy their guests.

(3) Food. The Exquisit Hotel serves an AWESOME breakfast with a giant variety of items (eggs to order, cereals, breads, jams/jellys, salmon, cold means, cheeses, oatmeal, fruits, coffee/tea/juice). The chef informed me they attempt to use natural and organic ingredients whenever possible and the quality of the food they prepare is very delicious. They also have a lunch menu. However, after lunch, the restaurant seems to close down, so for dinner or a late night snack, you'll have to go elsewhere. Two options are as follows:

(3a) Food: Il Dottore - This is a trattoria and pizzeria next door to the Exquisit Hotel. My family ate here and it was beyond excellent. I had the spaghetti bolognese and my wife & son split a pizza margarita. Both meals were excellent and went well with a large bottle of red wine. I highly recommend Il Dottore.

(3b) Food: Cafe Mozart - This is across the street Il Dottore and the Exquisit Hotel. It serves a variety of different foods that are appealing to the adult palate (really nothing kid friendly on the menu). I had the schnitzel and was surprised that it was larger than my plate. The food is good, staff is friendly, and English menus are available upon request. I'd also recommend this as a dinner option in the local area.

(4) Rooms: The rooms were moderately-sized, clean, and quaint. All the basic amenities that one would expect are there. The bathrooms were clean and sufficient to our needs. The TV had a variety of stations, including several English speaking channels (primarily BBC and Bloomberg TV).

CONS: To be honest, there are not a lot of cons (hence the 4 'star' rating). Most are of a nitpicking nature, but I'll list them for completeness.

(1) WiFi: The WiFi is free, but was very slow and buggy.

(2) Elevator: Slowest... elevator... ever. I generally took the stairs because I could get to the 4th floor quicker than the elevator. However, if you have a load of luggage or packages, it's there for you.

(3) Key-ring. The keys are on a gigantic, heavy, bulky, brass key-ring. Ridiculously large. However, when leaving the hotel to hit the city, you can leave the keys at the desk.

Overall, the Exquisit Hotel was a very positive experience. Between the staff, breakfast, room quality, and the location, I would absolutely go there again if I were in the area. The Exquisit Hotel has my recommendation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Esper
Maria S, Manager at Exquisit Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your valuation.
We are pleased that you've been so content with our hotel.
Our gigantic keys are replaced by handsome cards, so now you can take the key into the city.
We hope to welcome you very soon in our property!

Your Team of Hotel Exquisit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Munich doesn't exactly boast amazing hotels, at least not in the Sendlinger Tor area. The Exquisit hotel is not the type of place I'd normally stay - its rather dated, slightly musty and rickety it has an old school charm, definitely suited towards the older age group to a younger age group.

PROS :
* It's very central, pop out of the subway and its just down the road.
* It's clean and tidy
* The breakfast is nice - at first I rolled my eyes and got ready for a breakfast of cold meats and muesli but as I sat down I was offered a cooked brekkie of fried eggs and bacon and toast - nom!

CONS :
* The wifi barely worked, and when it did it was on half speed. I was in a corner room down the end of a corridor which might not have helped the signal.
* Took ages to find the heater - Its a real old style bar heater behind a curtain, you have to twist the knobs to turn it on, took about 2 hours to get heated up on a cold November night, then when it did get warm, it got way too warm, had to turn it right off again.
*Asked two girls on reception how to get to the airport, neither had a proper idea, both tried to help by producing a map and both gave different info on getting to the airport, a bit of local knowledge would have helped me looking like a lost lamb in the train station.

Overall, its a bed for the night and my experience of hotels in this area isn't amazing, this was one of the better ones.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
3 Thank Vincejd
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

As others have noted, the location is exceptional -- an easy walk to most everything. I booked here because of this, and its convenience to the Oktoberfest grounds (the reason we came to Munich this trip).

This is not a "grand" hotel with lots of facilities. But it is clean, comfortable, welcoming, and a good value. The included breakfasts are diversified and well-prepared, and becomes a brunch after 11:00 am on weekends. Their chef is very talented and responsive, and told me he is moving to all natural and organic.

But the real advantage of this hotel is the staff. This is a family-owned hotel, and all of the staff evidence a friendly and personal attitude. They were most responsive to my several communications with them prior to our arrival, and most helpful to us during our stay.

I would definitely choose the Exquisit again. Ron Klar

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank RonKlar
Team_Exquisit, Temmitglied at Exquisit Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your valuation.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.
Esspecially your praise about our staff and our breakfast makes us happy.
We hope to welcome you very soon again in our property.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed here for five nights and loved it! The hotel was less than a 10 minute walk to the old city center and 2 minutes to the u bahn which could take you anywhere you want to go! The rooms were very spacious and clean. The staff was incredibly nice and helpful. Breakfast and wifi were both included! I can't think of anything but positive comments to say about this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank kel_153
Maria S, Manager at Exquisit Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your positive valuation!
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much and hope to welcome you very soon in our property!

Markham, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel is close to all transport and to central Munich. We walked from the main train station in 10 minutes. Then you can walk to Marienplatz in 10 minutes. Located on a quiet street away from the busy street. The staff was amazing from check-in to breakfast service. The breakfast was great with lots of selection. Only complaints are the beds are HARD and there is no circulation in the rooms. They are a bit stuffy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Will431
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at this hotel back in April 2012 for a conference. The hotel is centrally located, close to Marienplatz and within steps to the subway station. There are plenty of restaurants and shops nearby and it is in a very safe neighborhood. The hotel itself is a bit old but it is well kept. There isn't air conditioning available so with the windows being opened, the street noise can be a bit loud at times. The staff made every effort to make our stay pleasant and are always helpful to our needs. The free breakfast buffet was always great and the restaurant service always excellent. We had to check out at 3 am to catch an early flight back to the United States. We asked to see if there would be left over breakfast pastries to have before leaving. The staff actually set up a full breakfast buffet (with flowers, the works) in the Hotel Lobby at 2 am just for us! We were completely speechless and so appreciative of their effort. It was unbelievable! I really wish I remember the gentleman's name but he knows who he is. :) Thank you for making the stay so memorable .

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jshea1223
Team_Exquisit, Teammitglied at Exquisit Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuation.
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.
We hope to welcome you very soon in our property.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Hm.. The way it goes in munich is pricing. The price of 4 stars is across the board is quite similar. Especially when it comes to near city centre. Most importantly, a few things to look out for.
There is no air conditioning in most hotels. Service is definitely something to consider. But looking back at the various hotels and services. If you booked a reputable hotel. The service wont go too far.
I have to say exquisit lacks the style and effort of a high end hotel yet.
Aircon is a must is my strong believe even an apartment do have that and no amount of service can compromise on the amount of money invested in the lodging. Thus

As others commented: service -