“Lovely Location - Overall Nice Hotel”
Review of Hauser Hotel

Hauser Hotel
Ranked #253 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Lovely Location - Overall Nice Hotel”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Hauser Hotel in September during Oktoberfest. The hotel is located near the University which provides plenty of restaurants, cafes, bars and shopping. You are within a short walk to the beautiful English Garden. (Certainly worth a visit) There is a U bahn stop located very close to the hotel and you are two short stops from the city center. We also walked to the city center which was a pleasant 15 minute walk. Our room was comfortable - not large but that was expected. Unfortunately, our air conditioning wasn't working properly and made it a bit warm while getting ready in the morning. Breakfast was a traditional German breakfast - filling and warm. The wifi was a bit spotty but worked well enough for our needs. The staff was pleasant and assisted us with getting a cab for a very early flight. Overall, I would rate this hotel very good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jami W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed October 1, 2013

very convenient location, close to the U bahn station and within a walking distance to the main city attractions. Rooms are small but comfortable and clean. WiFi is offere free of charge and it work without any problems. Tasty, homelike breakfast and very very friendly staff. A place to choose when in Munich...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed for a conference at the university and were very happy with the location, the air conditioning on a very hot week, the helpful staff, the bountiful breakfast, and indeed everything except the very small working desk and the internet which did not work well in our room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I chose the Hotel Hauser for its location (opposite Ludwig Maximillian University, the site of a conference I attended), but also with an eye to its features. I was not surprised reading reviews that remarked on the smallness of its room (which is simply typical of European hotels) but noted the many comments about its cleanliness, which is a top priority for me.
My wife and I could not have been more pleased with this hotel. First, it was not just clean, it was immaculate. And we saw why: housekeeping staff that vacuumed over carpet areas repeatedly (more passes than I give our carpets at home!) and a desire to clean our room each day that surprised us (most staff in US hotels are happy if you don't need your room serviced; these people took it as a near offense).
A real perk of this hotel was its very effective air conditioning, which has separate controls for each room. The week we were there was unseasonably hot (33-35c/88-91f), so we gave it a workout and were always comfortable. The rest of my colleagues at the conference I attended were either without AC or in hotels with weak systems.
The decor of our room and the hotel was bright and cheery. I really don't understand reviewers have complained that it needs updating. This is a quaint, family run German hotel that makes you feel as if you are actually among people who care deeply for their building. If we had wanted the antiseptic, American style hotel, we would have selected a large chain hotel. But this hotel provided the sense of culture and history that we wanted.
In that vein, the breakfasts were incomparable. The broad array of selections typical of breakfasts in the great European hotels I have stayed in previously was overwhelming. Not just yogurt, granola, meat, and eggs – although those were available and delicious – but rolls encrusted with seeds and nuts that I have never had elsewhere but would love to find in a bakery here. And the coffee was strong and flavorful (granted, if you don't like strong coffee, it might not be for you, but it is very German). The three breakfast rooms were small (consistent with the architecture of the hotel) but were more than adequate for the number of diners and were very tastefully decorated.
The staff of the hotel was courteous and very helpful. The man whom one reviewer wrote of as "gruff" was especially helpful in helping me figure out the Unterbahn. Although I can see why some might take him as gruff, I found him to be friendly and courteous. (I inferred that he was one of the hotel's owners.)
Although this hotel is in the university district, it is within easy travel to any place in Munich you want to travel. The Unterbahn station is only a block away, and a little research can enable you to use it to get throughout the city. The area around the hotel is filled with restaurants and is very safe. Indeed, I never sensed any danger wherever we traveled in the city.
If you want a sense of being in Germany rather than just another chain hotel, and if you want to experience the kindness of good people in Germany, choose the Hauser.

Room Tip: If you are concerned about having enough space in your room, consider a room with three beds. It is...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Ronald T
minneapolis
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Small jewel! Yes, the rooms are small, but very adequate. We did not come to Munich to stay in the room all day. We found the beds comfortable, lovely breakfast, quiet room with great windows to block street noise. The air conditioning was wonderful for a warm summer. Location was grand. very large or tall people may feel cramped. However, we have no complaints about this petit hotel. free Internet that worked well. Many other hotels we have stayed at did not have free Internet or it did not work. Recent remodeling may address some concerns of others.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2013

For a relatively inexpensive hotel in Munich, this place is fine. It is very clean, but with decor and details a bit shabby. The staff is cordial if not overly warm and friendly. Breakfast is quite good: cheeses, breads, hard-boiled eggs, pastries, sliced tomato, etc. The coffee, however, was terrible.
The location is good: close to the subway and major bus routes. Plenty of shopping and small cafes in the immediate vicinity.
I am used to small European hotel rooms, but this room was very tight. Once I had opened my suitcase on the floor, there was little space to walk around. The bathroom had been updated quite recently, but it was also tiny. I don't know how a tall person would have used the toilet! I had to keep the bathroom door open while getting ready in the morning so I wouldn't keep bumping into things.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights during Oktoberfest 2012. The location is terrific; 2 blocks easy walk from the subway station near the university and the Englischer Garten. The owner & staff were very friendly and helpful, provided great tips on maximizing our Oktoberfest experience and made me feel very welcome. I had a single room, which was very small but comfortable. Contrary to some of the other reviews, I found the bed to be very comfortable and slept like a baby (although the beer may have had something to do with that). Picture a very clean, single dorm room at college (I know, a contradiction in terms). The bathroom was also very small but adequate with a good shower. Wifi is provided for free. Breakfast was included and was your typical German affair; a nice variety of breads, fruit, meats & cheeses, soft boiled eggs, etc. I thought it was a great value, given that all hotels in the area jack up their prices during Oktoberfest. Travel time to the beer extravaganza was less than 20 minutes by subway and walking. I would definitely stay here again when I return with the wife.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank fgh8664
Also consider these accommodations in or near Munich
das Hotel in Munchen
#198 of 383 in Munich
H'Otello H'09
H'Otello H'09
#210 of 383 in Munich

Been to Hauser Hotel? Share your experiences!