“Small jewel!”

Hotel Hauser an der Universitaet
Ranked #230 of 389 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Small jewel! Yes, the rooms are small, but very adequate. We did not come to Munich to stay in the room all day. We found the beds comfortable, lovely breakfast, quiet room with great windows to block street noise. The air conditioning was wonderful for a warm summer. Location was grand. very large or tall people may feel cramped. However, we have no complaints about this petit hotel. free Internet that worked well. Many other hotels we have stayed at did not have free Internet or it did not work. Recent remodeling may address some concerns of others.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 26, 2013

For a relatively inexpensive hotel in Munich, this place is fine. It is very clean, but with decor and details a bit shabby. The staff is cordial if not overly warm and friendly. Breakfast is quite good: cheeses, breads, hard-boiled eggs, pastries, sliced tomato, etc. The coffee, however, was terrible.
The location is good: close to the subway and major bus routes. Plenty of shopping and small cafes in the immediate vicinity.
I am used to small European hotel rooms, but this room was very tight. Once I had opened my suitcase on the floor, there was little space to walk around. The bathroom had been updated quite recently, but it was also tiny. I don't know how a tall person would have used the toilet! I had to keep the bathroom door open while getting ready in the morning so I wouldn't keep bumping into things.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights during Oktoberfest 2012. The location is terrific; 2 blocks easy walk from the subway station near the university and the Englischer Garten. The owner & staff were very friendly and helpful, provided great tips on maximizing our Oktoberfest experience and made me feel very welcome. I had a single room, which was very small but comfortable. Contrary to some of the other reviews, I found the bed to be very comfortable and slept like a baby (although the beer may have had something to do with that). Picture a very clean, single dorm room at college (I know, a contradiction in terms). The bathroom was also very small but adequate with a good shower. Wifi is provided for free. Breakfast was included and was your typical German affair; a nice variety of breads, fruit, meats & cheeses, soft boiled eggs, etc. I thought it was a great value, given that all hotels in the area jack up their prices during Oktoberfest. Travel time to the beer extravaganza was less than 20 minutes by subway and walking. I would definitely stay here again when I return with the wife.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank fgh8664
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The positives.Good location, free wifi, metro stop a block away and the English Garden park is about 2 -3 blocks. The breakfast buffet was adequate. Price is very reasonable.The staff, Hans was helpful. Location, price and reviews on Trip Advisor were deciding factors in choosing this place. I must admit 1 picture of a bed on Trip Advisor did cause me to debate this choice. In retrospect I should have heeded that concern.
Our room was 1 flight up from check in desk. There is no lobby. There is a small 2 person elevator Tiny room, the smallest of the nine places we stayed. The bath was also small. Had a corner shower that I could barely turn in. The bed was bad. It was a double at best. The bed frame was actually a wooden box in which the very thin mattress lay. The mattress was maybe 4-5 inches thick. It was bad! We didn't sleep, we dozed at best. In the morning we asked about another room and were told none were available. We left and moved to a Marriott. Hans was gracious enough not to try and charge us for the 2nd night we originally reserved. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank bobo j
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I recently stayed at Hauser Hotel for several days with my wife and daughter. The location is great, the service was good, the room was comfortable and large enough for three adults (so we didn't trip over each other).

Pros: Good location, large and comfortable room, nice breakfast.
Cons: Only a couple of TV channels in English...but who goes on vacation to watch TV?

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed in a family room for four, for 3 nights in early August, with our 19 and 14 year old kids. It was quite acceptable, in a convenient location, and at a good price. The room was on the top (fifth) floor, and accessible by one flight of steps, as the elevator stops on the fourth floor. The room was larger than I had expected. I pictured four single beds set close together, but there was quite adequate room to move around, and more shelves than we needed.
The bathroom was outdated in design, but clean, large, and functional, so who cares?
We had arrived during an unusual hot spell, and the air conditioning was more than adequate.
They put a package of Haribo gummi-bears on the pillows, when we arrived.
The breakfast was really outstanding, with a delicious buffet of meats, fruit, vegetables, rolls, even deivilled eggs with caviar. I felt pampered.
The room was very quiet. We heard no external or internal noise
The front desk staff was helpful. They made sure a cab was called and ready for us at check out at 6:45 am, to go to the airport.
This hotel satisfied our needs for a family trip to Munich

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Nothing in this hotel has been updated since the 60s except perhaps the entry hall and the shower/toilet room. The bathroom was very clean, and the location is fantastic. It was quiet except for some very annoying crows. The free breakfast and wifi was great to have. Quaint and odd come to mind immediately when I think back to this hotel, but being a block from the U in a great neighborhood (away from tourist traps and with lots to do) was worth the trade. It could REALLY use an upgrade which might make me think twice about staying here again, but the location might convince me.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple