“Wonderful Value, Staff, in Munich” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Brack

Hotel Brack
Ranked #41 of 395 Hotels in Munich
California
“Wonderful Value, Staff, in Munich”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I decided to stay at Hotel Brack based on many other positive reviews found on Trip Advisor. I found those reviews to spot on, in terms of the value, convenience, and awesome staff who work there. Check in was easy, and Marjit, the front desk staff person, was efficient and helpful.

I had reserved a single non-smoking room, and I found it to be spotless. Yes, the hotel and rooms are a bit old, but I did not find it to be off-putting. Any location in the hotel, be it my room, the dining room, or lobby, were all spotless. As a single traveler, I found the single room to be small but enough space. It did not feel too small. My pillow was a bit lumpy and should be "retired", but the single bed was so comfortable. My window faced a side street, but I could hear traffic from Lindwurmstrasse, but I actually liked the sound of it.

There is in-room WiFi, and the signal was strong. Not very strong in the breakfast room or lobby. As others have said, there is no community computer to use in the lobby. Also, cell phone coverage in my room (456) was strong in some spots, weak in others. Had to walk around a bit to keep enough "bars". But not a significant problem.

As others have said, the breakfast is a dream come true. The friendly and efficient woman who is in charge of the breakfast room is the owner, Frau Utalinde Wissmann. She offers a great variety of breakfast items, but the best is the freshly-made ham and cheese omelette, served piping hot. Incredibly delicious. She was even kind enough to assemble a traditional sandwich (with their dark bread and slices of smoked black forest ham and butter) to take with me to the airport.

The best part of the hotel are the staff. Herr Frank Tronci mans the desk during the day, and Frau Marjit Kauer in the evening. I had an injury at the start of my vacation, and they assisted me with getting ice, calling taxi's, and in general making me feel cared about. They were able to direct me to the University of Munich Emergency department for medical care (which was outstanding). I was sorry to have to leave for home early, since I was so enjoying the hotel.

The only downside? There is smoking in the lobby and front desk, and it floats up the open staircase to the upper floors. I know this is Europe and there is a lot of smoking. I am a non smoker, and found it to be a bit troublesome. But my I enjoyed the other aspects more, so I stayed. But be aware that if you are really sensitive to smoke, this could be challenging for you.

Also, there is a small elevator that seems like it could acommodate a smaller wheelchair, if you are handicapped.

All in all, I would not hesitate to stay at Hotel Brack again. The staff and breakfasts are memorable, indeed!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank SBSCalifornia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This hotel is very conveniently located being only 5 mins ride by underground (U3 access right next to hotel) to the centre of the Old City ( Marienplatz). Stayed in 3rd floor room that was simple but clean and comfortable - enjoyed a good nights sleep for such a central location. The breakfast was enjoyable (included a nice cheese omelette) and the staff were attentive and pleasant.

I inadvertently left an iPhone 5 charger and mains adaptor in the room and was very pleased to learn that it had been found by the room cleaners and handed into "lost property". The hotel posted the lost items to me (at no cost to me) - really kind!

I would definitely stay at the Hotel Brack again when visiting central Munich. Offers really good value.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Keith T
Fukuoka, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We had a reservation for 3 and we asked the reception to add another bed for a cousin who decided to come at the last minute. The bed was there very soon and the price increased only 10 Euro per night, which is almost the price of the breakfast.

Btw, breakfast was wonderful. Every kind of jams and milk and juice, bread, eggs, cheese, ham and the nice greeting with a smile from the responsible lady.
The ladies at the reception were also kind and helpful.

Room was perfect. We had some trouble opening our lugagges, but being 4 of us it is obvious. It was clean and useful with enough tables and closets.

The hotel is not located at the center but its only 3 stations from Marienplatz by underground. And its only 50 meters from the nearest exit of Pocistrasse station. The neighbourhood has some nice restaurants and a supermarket.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Bubi37
Hohenfels, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

A great little hotel. The staff is so friendly. My family of 5 ( 2 adults and 3 children ( in two rooms) had a great stay. I am still missing the breakfast. It is the best! Location is great. Price is great. Super clean as well. Perfect for our family.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank stacey j
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Hotel Brack has been appointed to us by a German friend. It is a very good cost-benefit. Well located in München, near to the subway. You will feel at home. An excellent breakfast with a friendly and helpful staff to help you. In fact, what really makes the difference is its staff, always ready to help you, specially Herr Tronci, who speaks portuguese and spanish and helped us a lot with suggestions and specially with tips about the subway and the public transportation, which works perfectly.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pfreitasfuoco
miami, fl
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Maybe it was just us (because I see most others really liked this hotel), but we didn't like it at all. Part of it was that they messed up our reservation and we were put in a room with twin beds that were 10 feet apart. They did change the room for the first night, but didn't have the larger room for the second night so we left after one night. It was also quite warm in Munich while we were there and the window only opened about 2 inches. Thankfully, they gave us a fan. The bed was the usual hard German bed. The breakfast was as nice as everyone said but didn't make up for the worst night's sleep of our vacation. Another downside was the smell of smoke in the lobby and the halls. The room was fine but someone was smoking somewhere and not that long ago. To add to our discomfort, the woman at the front desk told us with no uncertainty that we could find the well know Bier Hall right across this nearby park. Well, they were setting up for October Fest (in two weeks) and nothing was open. We never did find an om-pah-pah Bier Hall.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank beisenbp
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Enjoyed our stay here. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful which made the stay pleasant and comfortable. This hotel provides clean, basic room with no air con but the window does open for air. Rooms facing the street can be very noisy and if you are a non- smoker make sure you request a non smoking room. Breakfast was plentiful and wifi was good. We managed to find a parking spot on the side street and you can get a parking pass ( 50 euro refundable deposit) for your car. The underground is a few steps away and it is 3 stations to Marienplatz. The hotel sells train passes too. There is a great restaurant down the road thatbthe hotel can recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the main street.