“This is a hotel for those with lots and lots of money, don't stay unless you're willing to spend”

The Westin Grand Munchen
Ranked #69 of 388 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed April 27, 2014

The Westin Grand is a beautiful hotel. Don't get me wrong, it's stunning and very luxurious. I'm currently backpacking around Europe on my own and as a surprise my mum booked me and my sister into the hotel for the weekend.

The room was immaculate and comfy. The shower was divine (one of those rainfall shower heads) and the spa facilities (pool and gym) were wonderful.

But here's where it fell down in my opinion...

No one offered to help me with my bags. I watched as wealthy looking women and men checked in and checked out and were immediately offered assistance with their luggage by staff members. No one offered to help me, was it because I had a big rucksack? Who knows. I've lugged it around for thousands of kilometres so far, the lobby to the lift wasn't too much of a stretch. But I would have liked to have been offered like the other guests.

The extra charges were endless. The room rate at the hotel is generally €115, although we got a slightly better deal on one of the websites.
Wifi is free in the lobby but not in the rooms, wifi costs €16 for 24 hours use on up to three devices. Free wifi in the rooms would improve my view of this hotel greatly.

The television channels are not free. They are €6.50. You do have BBC and ITV for free but these did not work for us when we tried to watch them. Really, I didn't care about this, we didn't spend time watching telly in beautiful Munich but after being made aware of the expensive wifi, we thought this was quite funny.

The spa treatments are overpriced. Never in my time in any hotel, as fancy as this one, have I seen prices quite like them. A 45 min hot stone back massage cost €108. I have never seen this treatment for more than €80 anywhere. We travelled to a spa in the city centre where we got the same treatments for half the price (Sumatra Spa near Marianplatz, excellent!).

The coffee in the lobby was from a machine. My sister ordered a latte and it arrived with the two dots of coffee in the top where the automated machine had poured it. It didn't taste very nice. For €4.50 and in a hotel of this calibre, they should invest in a barista.

There were good points to it as well of course. The cocktail menu is extensive and delicious, the staff in the bar were particularly friendly. I should mention the girl with blonde hair whose name I didn't get, she was great.

The pool facilities are fabulous.

The view from our room was stunning at sunset.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay immensely, but it was the little things that tainted our stay somewhat. This hotel is for people with lots and lots of money basically, not a bad thing, but just be aware of that :-)

• Stayed: April 2014
PaulPeters, General Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear EnRouteRebecca,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and your stay with us. I appreciate your great and detailed feedback so we have the chance to discuss it with the team and improve our service. I’m glad to hear that you overall enjoyed your stay with us, liked the rooms and the view. I will definitely pass on your feedback regarding the check-in as every guest should be offered assistance with their luggage and I would like to apologize for what happened. I will also pass on your feedback to the company handling our spa, because we also thrive to satisfy our guests with the offers they have. There have been some issues with the English channels in the past, but we are already handling the problems and trying to find a solution for our English speaking guests. I will also pass on your feedback regarding our lobby café, however I appreciate all the feedback you have given me regarding your stay and wish you a great weekend.
Best regards,

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Stayed here for a conference for about 5 nights. It was a bit away from the heart of the city, but there was a subway station pretty close by, but in rush hour, was about 30 minutes to get to dinner in the downtown area. Not a lot of dinner choices close by. A nice Westin, although I had a "Bavarian" style room, so very traditional decor, much different than the typical Westin. Room was very large with a great, large desk. My room had a great view of downtown Munich. Bathroom was very large, however the shower was extremely small (and I'm only 4' 11") with a way oversized rain shower head, too large for the size of the shower. Ate the breakfast buffet on the day of arrival. Tons of choices, great food, but very pricey. Dined for lunch in the lobby cafe/lounge a few times. Food was good, menu was limited, but service extremely slow. Paulaner's offered a great Bavarian experience with great service, food and beer. The Banquet breakfast was extremely limited. Front desk, concierge and bell staff extremely friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay again when I'm back in Munich.

Room Tip: If you want a little of the local flair and not feel like you are staying in an American hotel, ask...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
PaulPeters, General Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear rosone13,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel online. I’m glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us during your conference. I understand that it takes quiet long to get to the center during rush hour but it also has its advantages being a bit outside the center. Did you go down to the Arabellapark, they have few restaurants there and a great fresh market on Thursday for next time you are here.
We are very proud to have the Bavarian styled rooms, as they perfectly demonstrate the region we live in. In addition, I will pass on your comments to the designated departments so we can discuss the mentioned points from you.
We look forward to seeing you for your next stay in Munich.
Have a great week and best regards,

Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was perfect lovely room, amazing breakfast, great service, close to the centre, clean. Just perfect. The pool was also very clean and not to busy either! The cocktail bar was out of this world but on the pricey side but I would defo recommend a visit! A lovely pace to stay whilst visiting Munich!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
PaulPeters, General Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear RebeccaBrown1,
I’m very glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us while visiting Munich. Gladly I will pass on your positive feedback to my team. Our Ducktail’s Bar has a vast choice of cocktails and always offers some specials, the Bar Manager will be happy to hear such good feedback.
Thanks for taking the time to write this review and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Kind regards,

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Stayed Here Last Saturday 12th April For 1 Night

Very Helpful Staff & Very Welcoming To Me & My Friend, The Hotel Bar Was Good & The Breakfast On The Sunday Morning Was Very Good , Hope To Come Back To Next Year To Go And See Bayern Munchen Play Since You Do A Very Good Deal To Go And See Them Play

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Peter M,
I’m very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff was helpful. I’m glad that the bar and the breakfast were to your liking. Watching a FC Bayern Munich game would definitely top your stay. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!
Have a wonderful day.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

The room was nice and the breakfast was really good.
But, I had a beep sound in my room for 2 days, without them being able to fix it - or to be precise, they went to my room and never gave me any feedback, so I assumed they thought they had fixed it. It took 3 complaints before it was fiixed. That meant that I woke up every 30 min. for 2 nights!
It was obsiously a smoke alarm that needed new batteries, so I don´t know why it was so difficult to fix.
The 2nd time I complained I got a voucher for a free drink at the bar. Fine, but it was only valid that day, and since I was at a conference, I didn´t have time to use it.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank TVBB

Dear Guest,
First of all, I want to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and write down your experience. I do remember the engineer informing me about the beeping and I’m truly sorry it took so long to be fixed and therefore interrupted your night. I would appreciate if you can get in touch with me, so that I can make sure your next stay with us will be much more pleasant and of course to make sure you can make use of your complimentary voucher.
Best regards and Happy Easter,
Paul.Peters@starwoodhotels.com

Reviewed April 11, 2014

This hotel has a very nice wired swimming pool and sauna for family. The water is warm. 5 kinds of saunas (dry or steam) are helpful for adults to be relaxing.
The hotel is situated a little apart from the city center but it wouldn't be problem if you drive there. Actually, we really enjoyed staying at this hotel. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
PaulPeters, General Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear AKT0711,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I’m glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and liked our spa facilities with the pool and different kinds of saunas. We do hope you went back home all relaxed and we look forward to welcoming you again at our hotel.

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Westin is a name known worldwide for good quality hotels, nice staff and relaxing furnished rooms. Unfortunately this hotel, 15min away from the centre does not fit into the good name. I stay at the hotel at least once a month and am amazed every time how rude the staff is, especially to non German speakers. Starting at the reception: the staff doesn't care if you have any queries or need assistance, they just forget about the fact that they are working in a service delivery job. One stay ago a friend sent a package for me to the hotel. It was delivered the day of my checkout, but apparently nobody at the reception cared about the package and stowed it somewhere, so nobody did know where it ended up. After one month on my next stay I was asking about it again and it was suddenly found with the note: finally we get rid of it...
Coming to the restaurant: due to late arriving flights it is sometimes not easy to get some food at the restaurant downstairs, even if it is still one hour to closing time. Staff mostly already tries to kick one out, even though the place should be open till 11pm and not 10pm. If you ask why they get rude.

Finall the rooms: The cleaning is poorly, I always clean the toilet myself again because of stains in the sink. The showerhead works only on specific dates, the condition of the furniture is from dirty to broken.
Although it is a business stay and the company pays for the room, I get treated poorly, resulting in not recommending the hotel to friends.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Carramba89

Dear Carramba89,

First of all I would thank you for taking the time to speak about your experience, yet it is regrettable to hear that you have not been experiencing very good service from our side. This is not what the name Westin or our hotel itself stands for. We are trained to assist our customers with any needs they have and also be able to communicate with our international guests; therefore I understand your disappointment. In addition, you should be able to receive food at our restaurant until 11pm and not have any issues with it.
A clean room and working appliances should be standard at any kind of hotel and it is unfortunate that you were not able to receive this.
It would be great if you could contact me, so I can investigate this further as I would appreciate the chance to prevent similar events from occurring.

Warm regards,