“One night”

The Westin Grand Munchen
Ranked #67 of 390 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We had one night in Munich and decided to stay at the hotel since we had a car (and driving downtown requires purchase of a pass). We were presently surprised at the comfort of the room -- it is basically a normal Westin. We took the subway downtown - very easy to access a couple of blocks from the hotel and no need to change trains to get to the middle of downtown. We enjoyed the mini-beer hall downstairs - good food and beer. Good gym and a nice spa

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
PaulPeters, General Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

One night in Munich and the right choice to stay! Thank you very much Seth K, that you have chosen us. You are right by saying that we are not right in the middle of downtown but with very easy access to get there and good concierge service with lots of tips where to go.
If you decide to spend more than a night in Munich do not hesitate to contact us, it would be our pleasure to create more enjoyable stays for you. Maybe next time you have the chance to also try our pan-asian restaurant with Sushi and Currys or our bavarian beergarden - in summertime.
Have a fantastic time and stay well
Complex General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,666)

Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed at the Westin Grand for two nights while attending a conference - part of which was hosted in the hotel. For what is quite a large hotel, it doesn't feel it. Reception was friendly and (on the whole) efficient, and the breakfast service was up to scratch.

The room was a good size, with a very comfortable bed and all the things needed for a business trip. I can't comment on the internet connection in the room, as I didn't use it, but the connection in the lobby was solid.

Spending the time being shuttled around by coaches and taxis, I can't say I really got my bearings on where in Munich it was! So no comments here about location...

All in all, yes, a good stay and a hotel that I would definitely use again. Probably more for a business trip than a private trip.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
PaulPeters, General Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Dear terrycjones,

thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. There was a big congress taking place here and I guess you were an attendee. I am happy to read that you have been satisfied with your room, our service and the internet connection. You may be right with your comment that we are mostly are a business hotel but try us for a weekend, because "weekends last longer at Westin Hotels". Late check out and extended breakfast times, lots of things to try innside and ourside the hotel. Try the New Balance gear landing programm for a run near the Isar river or go downtown in a 10 minute drive with our tube for seeing all the seights.
We would be happy to welcome you also with friends and family for a private trip, if you need inspirations do not hesitate to contact us.
With warm regards

Reviewed January 24, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights when attending a large conference in Munich. The hotel was full every night and was hosting some of the daytime sessions for the conference so they were working pretty effectively even at full stretch.

The room was good for a standard room type. Very comfortable large bed, lots of windows - I was lucky to be at the end of a corridor so had windows looking out to the back and side of the hotel. Despite all of the windows, there was no traffic or other noise from outside, even though I was on a relatively low floor.

All room facilities worked well, although I do get irritated by hotels charging for internet access, even if my company is paying. This practice of charging for wifi in a business hotel belongs in the past and even inexpensive competitors now offer free wifi.

Unfortunately my room also had a closed connecting door which meant it was not as soundproofed from the adjacent room as it would have been if just a wall separated us. My neighbour had some guests in his room and it was a little noisy - when I asked reception if they could do anything they immediately came up and asked them to be quiet as they had no available room to offer for me. When the noise started to reoccur, the hotel took a strong approach and fully resolved the situation very quickly and effectively which was great service.

The bar staff were polite and efficient, breakfast buffet was good if a little pricey, the reception staff were very good. Not bad all round.

Room Tip: End of corridor is nice as you get windows on 2 sides. Even a low floor room was quiet (other than m...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
PaulPeters, General Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear ThatT1Feeling,

thank you very much for taking the time to give us an impression about your recent stay. We are happy to read that you enjoyed our heavenly bed and the caring service of our staff in the different parts of the hotel. Regarding the conference you have been attended, it was our aim to offer a very smooth service in the background to allow all participants a full focus on the interesting points of the venue.
At this moment we offer our guests free WIFI in the Lobby area and it is also included for bookings at our Club level. Maybe this will be an alternaitve for you next time you visit us. I offer you to contact us directly and we can explain the full varity of booking possibilities to you so that you can choose what meets your requirements best.
Stay well,

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Amazing hotel! Stayed here in December a couple of days before New Years and loved this hotel!! My room and bed was massive, the bathroom and shr huge and the view from my window great too. They also have an amazing bar and lounges downstairs. Staff were very friendly and helpful. No free wifi in the rooms though, only in the lobby/reception area. Main city centre is a few minutes drive away but even that didn't wouldn't put me off staying here again. The breakfast was great too, so much to choose from. Really nothing to complain about with this hotel, don't think anyone would ever regret staying here. It is amazing :)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank darling_1017
PaulPeters, General Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear darling_1017,

thank you very much for your positive words regarding your recent stay with us. I can remember the time shortly befor christmas, it was wonderful sunshine which allowes this amazing view out of the guest rooms window. You should come again in summertime to spend some time at the Isar, in the Englischer Garten or in our tradidional Paulaners beergarden. Summertime is such as nice as christmas time in Munich. If you need recommendations, please feel free to contact our Concierge time anytime, it is our pleasure to be at your service.

Yours

Reviewed January 13, 2014

On our way back home to the US from Austria, we decided to spend a couple days in Munich -- as it happens over New Years (12/30-1/2). I booked two connecting rooms, which the hotel confirmed well in advance. On check-in, determined that the hotel had upgraded us (SPG Gold) to a corner room on the 17th floor, with fantastic views of the city, and of the mountains in the distance.

The hotel has a pool/spa area downstairs, which was a nice treat at the end of a long car ride. As other reviewers have noted, the hotel requests "adults only" after 8pm; although this wasn't strictly enforced, we left about 8:30 or so. The kids liked it regardless. The one thing I wish it had was an actual hot tub -- it has an area that looks like a hot tub, but just has bubble jets.

We tried the beer garden downstairs (Pauliner's), which was good, although about as pricey as you might expect from an in-house Westin restaurant.

Although we had a car, I didn't end up using it at all. The doorman and the concierge recommended we try the public transportation system, which was $11 euro/day for the whole family. There was a trolley stop a short walk (100 yards) from the hotel, which comes every 10 minutes. We took it to Deutsches Museum, MArianPlatz, and the Pinakothek art museums without a hitch, and much easier than dealing with parking. I wish I had returned the car to the airport early, and used their shuttle.

We decided not to attend the fixed-price New Years dinner/celebration (180 Euros or so), and instead ordered room service since all of the surrounding restaurants were closed/busy. Surprisingly, the food was quite good, and the hotel even provided a few noisemakers/party hats. The noisemakers as it turned out were irrelevant, since starting about 11pm until 2 or 3am, there was a constant barrage of fireworks. And by constant, I mean so many that the explosions were indistinguisable from one another -- people were shooting them off from hotel rooms across the street, parking lots, everywhere. One of the more interesting New Years I've had!

Room Tip: High floors for city/mountain views
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
PaulPeters, General Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

A very happy new near for you, mwsrs, also from my side. Thank you for beeing our guest during new years eve and for your wonderful report. Nice to read that you had the most interesting New Years Eve so far and it happenend more or less spontaneous to spend it with us here in Munich. I hope you had a time that you look back on with pleasure.
Maybe one day your travelplans lead you to Munich again. We would be very happy to welcome you for more memorable stays.
Warm regards

Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

Hotel has nice facilities and rooms, but a car is needed to get around. City center is only a 10 minute drive away. Breakfast buffet is around 30 euros per person, but the selection is great. Parking in the garage is 20 euros but free parking is available on the surrounding streets.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anatoly S
PaulPeters, General Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Anatoly S,

thank you very much for writing some lines about your recent stay with us. We are very happy that you had a renewal stay and a fresh start in the day with our well assorted buffet breakfast.
I hope that you will be our guest also in 2014 and you should try the metro next time when you want to go to the city centre or somerwhere else in Munich - the station is just a view minutes walking distance. Our concierge would be very happy to assist you with guidance and city map.

Best regards from Munich

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Immaculate care. I took pictures of the breakfast buffet. Nice view of the city from my room. The train was handy to visit the city and surroundings from the hotel. The concierge planned our outings and helped us navigate to the airport. I wish I had given him a better tip.

Room Tip: Good view fro North side.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple