“I'm a very, very loyal fan!”

The Westin Grand Munchen
Ranked #57 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Dubai
“I'm a very, very loyal fan!”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

I have been staying at this hotel many times a year over the last 12 years, it almost feels like my second home! As a purser for a major airline (Emirates) I obviously have many hotel experiences to draw from. Even as a new and naïve traveller, many years ago, this hotel made me feel special and welcome. They have changed management since, but still extend the same warmth and great customer service. Nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are so comfortable and the food - total lecher! Set in Arabella Park, it's an easy tube ride to the centre of Munich yet set in the lush woods, very close to the gorgeous river and tranquil, serene English Garden. You can just feel your heart, soul and body being refreshed by the ancient woodland and stunning surroundings. It's obviously the staff that make all the difference in this hotel, they must be led by great managers, thank you all. I NEVER had cause for complaint in at least 40 stays over the years, if not more.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Dolly_dxb
Hotel M, Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Dolly_dxb,
We have been really delighted reading your lines and would like to take this opportunity to thank you so much for this friendly post and more important, for your loyalty over all these years. As you are a Emirates purser, we know that you travel a lot and it is always our first priority to make you feel home away from home and that you leave us renewed and more refreshed than you arrived. I will proudly share your comment with my team and you can be sure that we will do our utmost also in the future, to make your stays special.
Safe flights for you and hope to have you soon with us again
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

The Westin Grand's rooms are nice and big with separate bath and shower and a spacious work area. Staff couldn't be friendlier or more helpful, which is not a given in Germany. Very well done on staff training and incentives.
I didn't eat in the restuarants, but had catering lunch at an event I attended and the quality was above and beyond other buffet food I had the pleasure to sample in the past.
For women travellers: there is a proper hair dryer in the wardrobe and the shampoo and conditioner are very good, even on very long, tangle-prone hair.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mondfrau
Dear Mondfrau,
We were delighted to read your lines about your recent stay with us. It seems that we have met your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. A special thank you for pointing out our staff attitude- we know that the employees are the heart of the house! They are here to make every stay a special one for you and our other guests: instinctive-renewal-personal – these are our key words and I am happy to read that you experienced that. Of course I will share your comment with my team.

We hope to be your host again soon,
best regards
Aachen, Germany
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed at this hotel the second time, it offers everything you can expect from a good five star hotel in Europe. 250 m footwalk to the subway line 4 (station ARABELLAPARK) - take a group ticket for 5 adults (one day, 10,60
Euro) and you are set.10 Min to City Center.Be sure to include breakfast in advance,additional orders EXPENSIVE (glass orange juice 8,50 Euro).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

1 Thank Achim W
Hotel M, Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Achim W,
thank you very much for taking the time to post your experience about your recent stay with us at Tripadvisor. We are very pleased that you had a comfortable and welcoming stay and we hope that you will have many more occasions to travel to Munich and be our guest again.
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed May 2, 2013

They had a special Bauma rate which was effectively a rip off. Bauma is one of the biggest machinery shows in the world, held in Munich every other year. The hotel is very old and I will never stay here again, Internet cost was simply ridiculous. Check in took me 30mins and there were only 2 staff at the desk. From all the 5 star hotels I have stayed this was one of the worst. Breakfast was nothing much to write about.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hotel M, Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear budsy987,
thank you very much for taking the time to write an review about your recent stay with us. We learned that you felt not very welcomed and special during your stay which we are very sorry for.
We have shared your comment with our Front desk Manager to avoid such waiting queues in the future. I can completely understand that this was annoying for you. If you wish anything special for breakfast, just let us know, it would be our pleasure to be at your service.
Regarding the Free Wifi Connection I would like to take the opportunity to tell you that we are already working on this for the Lobby Area. So within this year it should be offered to our guests.

It would be a pleasure for us if you would consider another stay with us that we can show you how reliable and professional we work and to offer you a renewing stay with us.

Peoria, Illinois, United States
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Granted I stayed here during Bauma, but talk about taking advantage of travelers! I had an average room on a floor that REALLY needed updating. Carpets fraying etc. I was there with a colleague and we were both told internet was included.. came time to check out... and found out it wasn't. Really expect more from $469Euro a night (YES $469 EURO! for an average room... talk about price gauging !!!) close to the train, but limited restaurant options.

1 Thank Diane L
Hotel M, Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Diane L,
thank you very much for taking the time give an evaluation via Tripadvisor. We are very sorry that you haven’t felt comfortable during your stay with us. Please be sure that it is our first priority to renew our guests during their stay with us.
I am happy to inform you that we are in the middle of an renovation process, the rooms until the 8th floor are already done, next follow step by step. If you do not like Bavarian food in our Restaurant Paulaners, we offer Asian food in our ZEN Restaurant and of course you have the possibility to eat at the Sheraton Hotel just opposite side of the street, also two restaurants at your choice.
We would be pleased, Diane L, if you would give us the chance to show you that we can do better. It would be our pleasure to book a new renovated room for you.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Great hotel in the a great location, close to lots of public transport with plenty (not free) parking. We upgraded to club status which offered us free access to the executive club lounge where there was a great self service choice and as it was on the 23rd floor, it offered great views of the city and the mountains in the region.
It was also easy enough to get to as it wasn't too far from the inner city ring road. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a short stay in Munich and didn't want to use (or have a car). As it a 5 star it may be considered a little expensive but as 5 stars go, I think it offers a lot for the money. The Executive club room is worth the extra price as it gives you access to the club lounge which is a great extra feature.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChamonixAccomodation
Dear ChamonixAccomodation,
thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay with us. We are happy to hear that we met your expectations and you had a renewing stay with us. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back at any time. If there is anything we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us personally.
Hotelmanager
Paris, France
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I had to stay in this hotel for work reasons and like most hotels in Munich they put the price up during the Baumarkt or construction fair in Muncih - but this price-hiking is at the risk of incurring very bad reviews like this one. The room is the most expensive I have ever paid for - 360 euros for one night. I had to sleep with the curtain drawn as part of the curtain rail didn't work (room 433) and my restless night was illuminated by a streetlamp. To add insult to injury on the price, when you try and watch the international channels you have to pay 6 euros extra on top of the 360 euros you already have to pay, just to watch such basic channels as BBC or CNN ! This really is over the top. And of course, the exorbitant internet rates (16 euros a day) didn't provide a service which could be relied on - during my bright sleepless night I couldn't hook up to the wifi. If this had been at say 160 euros or so I wouldn't have bothered to write, but when you pay this much for a room, you at least expect things to work and be able to sleep - and not to have to pay 6 euros to watch non German channels. The upshot of this is that they make a quick buck, true - but I for one will always put Westin right at the bottom of any future hotel search. Sorry but it really annoyed me - Alex Taylor - alexandertaylorparis@gmail.com - signed and said.

Dear Mr. Taylor,
thank you very much for taking the time to give an overview about your recent stay with us.
We are very sorry that you had an uncomfortable stay as it is our priority to make every guest feel welcomed and special. Please let me tell you that we are renovating all our rooms step by step, so that not working curtains can be eliminated, also we are working on free WIFI in the public area which should be implemented by autumn this year.
We would wish, Mr. Taylor that you would give us another chance to show you how reliable normally work. It would be our pleasure, if we could take care about your future booking personally, so do not hesitate to contact us directly.
Hotelmanager