“Retro and charming with a great breakfast in the garden”
Review of Hotel Admiral

Hotel Admiral
Ranked #87 of 388 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed June 28, 2011

This is a super little hotel in a quiet, residential part of Munich. The building is a 1950’s apartment style block and has been only partially modernised, but rather than making the hotel feel tired, this gives it a retro charm. The room we stayed in was clean, very tastefully decorated, with comfortable beds, a decent shower and everything we needed (e.g. hairdryer, fresh fruit).

We found the staff helpful (providing English adaptors and umbrellas free of charge) and although a little bemused by our attempts to procure a drink from the unmanned bar after dinner, cheerfully obliged with a generous measure, which we enjoyed surrounded by the slightly surreal ceramic bird decorations and baroque statues in the comfortable sitting room.

However, it was breakfast which was truly superb, and which pushed this up to 5 stars for me. There was an incredibly selection with fresh fruit, superb muesli, everything fantastic, and white tablecloths outside in the leafy garden.

So, not a conventional ‘luxury hotel’, but one I’d highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Miss_Abigaill

Reviewed June 20, 2011

This was the third time I had stayed at the Hotel Admiral and it remains as good as ever. The hotel is well located (about 10 mins slow walk to the Viktualienmarkt) in a quiet side street. Rooms are compact but well appointed. The minibar is limited but very cheap (€2 per drink). TV only had German language channels. Our rooms were on the garden side so very quiet. All staff were unfailingly polite, smiling and helpful (I am surprised a a couple of reviews which report bad experiences). The breakfast is certainly one of the highlights with, among other things, homemade jams and lots of fresh berries and everything very well presented. The hotel is dog friendly i.e. accepts dogs (on my previous trips I was accompanied by my dog). There is underground parking at the hotel but I do not know if it is free or if one has to pay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Robin R
Reviewed June 10, 2011

we didn't have much time in munich, so I really based my decision on choosing this hotel based on price and reviews. it was a very good choice since we arrived at the central train station on a weekend evening and taxi'd through the marienplatz in full party mode. the hotel is a 5 min walk from the old town center, in a residential area so it is quiet but very accessible. the staff and accomodations were very nice, and the surprise garden for breakfast outdoors was a very special treat. stall shower a treat after crawling in and out of high tubs elsewhere. we felt safe walking around in the evening and were so glad not to be anywhere near the tourist district where activity never seemed to end. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: no a/c, so ask for cool and quiet garden view
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We stayed at the Admiral for a weekend in May and it the hotel really exceeded my expectations. The room was large and absolutely spotless. The breakfast, which was included in the rate we booked, was excellent - a lot of choice and everything very fresh. As the weather was nice you could eat in the lovely garden. The location of the hotel was good - 5 to 10 mins walk to Isartor for the s-bahn. There was also free wireless. I would definitely stay here again when in Munich.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Excellent service. Awesome breakfasts. Centrally located. Priced right.
It is the place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2011

I was in Munich for business trip but extended my trip with 3 other colleagues. We were looking for somewhere near city center and booked this hotel because of the positive review in trip advisor. It was per expected, great location, great service, clean and roomy. Our reservation included breakfast; however as we arrived very early on our check in day and would be leaving very early on our check out day, we requested if we could have our breakfast on our arrival day. They were OK without second thought, and even told us breakfast may not be available too early, but we could request for coffee before leaving for airport.
I love the deco of the hotel too, very cosy; breakfast area is overlooking a garden. You can just sit around and enjoy the tranquility while enjoying the food.
The one and only not-so-good thing may be the location of the room. One of our rooms face the road, which was considerably noisy if the window was opened (vehicles, people talking could be heard clearly even at night;); whereas our 2nd room was facing the garden with a great view and was quiet.
Overall I enjoyed my stay in Admiral, and will come back again if I'm in Munich for leisure again, be requesting for room facing garden though :)

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank LimSN
Reviewed December 31, 2010

This hotel does not have many extra frills but it does have:
1. Great location and neighborhood- central to Marienplatz and the S Bahn. You can arrive via S Bahn from the train station or airport, exit the the Isartor stop, and walk the one block to the hotel. Once at the hotel you can walk everywhere- no car or taxi needed and the S Bahn is only a block away.
2. Decor- clean and somewhat stylish- the owner put some time and effort into design. Great high-quality Orientalist prints in the halls and stairs. My mother would describe the hotel as "charming."
3. The staff was polite and professional. They have a skeletal crew but they get the job done. They treated me with genuine respect.
4. Good breakfast- first class. You could pay 20-30 Euros for this elsewhere.
This is a small, quiet, low-key neighborhood hotel: well-priced, centrally located and a good stay for business travelers or tourists, especially mature visitors. There were also several honeymoon couples there and they seemed very happy with their stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business