“Educational, exciting, fun”

Bus Bavaria Neuschwanstein Castle Tours
Book In Advance
$83.45*
and up
Neuschwanstein Castle Day Trip from Munich with Optional Hohenschwangau Castle...
$37.49*
Classic Munich Bike Tour in the Morning
$36.28*
Munich Bike Tour with Optional Königsplatz and Olympiapark Visit
Ranked #9 of 127 Tours in Munich
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Bus Bavaria Neuschwanstein Castle Tours has been doing day trips to this famous castle especially for English-speaking guests since May of 2000. This listing has only existed since 2011. Over 15 years we have sent off as close to 100% of our guests enthusiastically satisfied with their choice to join us on this excursion as we believe is realistically possible. Nonetheless, we have, as is our custom with our famous bike tour of Munich (Mike's Bike Tours) raised the bar again and improved our tour in several ways for 2015 and beyond. We know when comparing any and all offers for tours to this destination from Munich that one can easily come to the conclusion that we offer superior value. Our tours include a highly enjoyable, (optional) bike ride on well-maintained, comfortable Cruiser bicycles around the area near the castle, our guide's post-lunch PROFESSIONAL magic show (MOST of the time but not on Wed. & Sun. in the peak season) which is FUN and often downright mind-boggling as well as a few other fun activities such as swimming in a refreshing alpine lake in the middle of the bike ride and the unique opportunity to FLY DIRECTLY OVER THE CASTLE on a tandem paraglide! One can also take a fun ride down an alpine slide! Hence, our Neuschwanstein Castle Tours from Munich are quite unique. We hope you will choose to join us on this fantastic excursion from Munich in the near future so that we may have the opportunity to send you, too, off as nothing less than another FAN of our company.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I wanted a great cap-stone for my German vacation with my nineteen year old daughter and this tour proved to be it! While the castle tour itself was more brief then one would expect, it's reasonable considering that the castle was incomplete at the time of the builder's death. To add to the fun and excitement, bus bavaria added a bike ride, lunch, and an excellent hike! There were so many photo opportunities. We even got a slight-of-hand magic show provided by our guide.

The guides by the way were so friendly, warm, and knowledgeable -- they really made the experience and excel at their work.

There are newer reviews for Bus Bavaria Neuschwanstein Castle Tours

Reviewed August 2, 2013

This was my second visit to Munchen and to Neuschwanstein Castle. Last summer, I drove the Romantic Road for over a week, visiting several towns along the way at my own pace—definitely the way to go if you can swing it as there is a lot more to see in Fussen than the castles. This summer my best bud decided she’d finally jump the pond for the first time, and we did a whirlwind tour; visiting three countries in nine days. A day trip to Neuschwanstein was definitely in the cards and she took the reins for planning this day; pleased with the reviews of and the idea of a bike ride around an alpine lake. This is an absolutely worthwhile location to visit and I highly recommend it; although I don’t know that I’d use this particular company again.

I guess I was soured for this trip when Mike, the founder of the tour company, jumped on the bus at the start of the tour. He started by telling us the the name of his company was Mike’s Bike Tours, NOT Mike’s Bikes, or Mike’s Bikes Tours. He even had the audacity to ask a loaded bus of people to ‘repeat after him’ the name of the company so there would be no mistake. He then spent the next twenty minutes—the only time he was actually with the tour—telling us how wonderful our tour guides would be and how we should tip them very generously as he wasn’t able to pay them terribly well. He went so far as to tell us that ten percent; the usual standard in much of Europe; would be an insult—less than half a beer in the city, he said. He actually asked the busload of people, “So, can I count on you to do the right thing and take care of your tour guides today?” Incredibly tacky, Mike, and not a good way to get people fired up for a good time.
He spent a lot of time telling us as well what a bargain we were getting on this tour—and it is affordably priced—but when you figure in that tickets to the castle are not included (another 11 Euro) and neither is the sub-par lunch (about 10-15 Euro), the final cost of this tour is fairly comparable to others I took in Munich—it was a bit cheaper overall, and definitely had the nicest bus (with a bathroom on board). Basically on this tour you get the bus ride, the use of the bike, and the guides who lead the bike ride, the hike up to the castle and secure your tickets—it is a plus not to have to stand in that line, which can be quite long.

Here’s the nitty gritty…

Meet up at the main office, just around the corner from Hofbrauhaus’s rear entrance. There is no bathroom at the office, so they’ll send you to Hofbrau anyway—beat the crowd and go a bit early.
There are a variety of activities from which to choose, and you can customize the trip for your own liking. For instance, you can forgo the bike ride in favor of touring Hohenschwangau Castle—the home in which King Ludwig II grew up. It’s still owned by the family, and gives you an idea of what a lived-in castle is like. The bike ride itself is pretty short, but you stop every couple minutes for photo ops and different views of the castle…the only real stretch of time you spend on the bike is on the big uphill to get back to the starting point. You can also forgo the bike ride to try tandem paragliding, weather permitting. After lunch, you can choose to ride the alpine slide down the hill or watch Brad, the tour guide, do a magic show. Then, you can either take the bus up the hill to the base of the main trail that leads to Mary’s Bridge and the Castle (an extra couple Euros), or to hike up the entire way (about a 45 minute walk, and fairly strenuous).
You have about an hour for lunch/magic show/alpine slide. The tour company has an in with a restaurant right down the hill from where they store their bikes, and pass around a menu on the bus ride over so you can choose a meal. I can only speak for two of the entrees, but I ordered a tortellini with sauce so bland that I needed to douse it in salt and pepper, and my friend ordered a club sandwich that consisted of one thin slice of processed turkey, one leaf of lettuce, and two wilty slices of bacon; to the tune of nearly eight Euro each. I will absolutely recommend trying the Konig Ludwig wheat beer; the winner of best wheat on Earth and worthy of the title; but I imagine you could get that anywhere. The apple strudel was also very nice. It was certainly a convenient option, but there are other restaurants in town.

The alpine slide is fun—you do get a discount for being on the tour—just shy of two Euros to fly down the side of the mountain on a luge-like sled. You have time to do it twice, or to catch a bit of Brad’s magic show after one ride down.

The castle is worth it—The tours last something like 27 minutes and the guides recite the same script that is PC and child friendly. There is a video of Brad, the tour guide, shown on the bus, but do your homework ahead of time and know what it is you’ll be seeing—it’ll make it a lot more worthwhile if you do.

Wear comfortable shoes—you’re going to be doing a bit of hiking regardless of whether you take the bus or not; and there are a lot of stairs to climb in the castle.

Wear your swimsuit if you really want to swim—the stop to “swim in an Alpine lake” is literally fifteen minutes long. If you take time to change in and/or out of your swimsuit at the changing rooms, you’re looking at maybe five minutes of swim time.

Only a small handful of bikes had a basket or a place to stow your things, so consider wearing a backpack or something that will let you ride comfortably. There’s nowhere to put a water bottle, even, and a good number of people were weighed down by bags that made it difficult to ride.

The guides are good—Brad and Micca (spelling?) really were attentive, organized, and fun. They were on top of everything, offered to take pictures, answered questions, and knew their stuff. We really didn’t need to worry about any of the details of the trip, and that was nice.

The bottom line—the bus was luxurious and comfortable, and the castle is worth the trip. The tour was well organized, and the guides friendly and knowledgeable. You can take this tour even if you don’t want to go for a bike ride and explore the little town at your leisure, and it was easy for individuals to get exactly what they wanted out of it. Perhaps if it hadn’t been for the sour start I’d book with them again, but I’d explore a few other options before booking this particular company. All in all, it’s definitely not a bad way to go, especially for a first time visitor.

11  Thank thewhirledtraveler
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The setup of this tour is great! There are many options. You can choose to skip the bike ride and tour the Hohenschwngau castle, there is the option of a gondola to the Tegelberg. You can customize the day to your liking. I did look into travel by train and then bus from the closest train stop to the castle. It would have taken much longer than the bus ride provided with this tour. I believe Mike and Brad offer a very good value. If you visit the tour website and look at the FAQ and castle tour details all the costs and options are fully explained. We boarded the tour bus and watched a video by Brad explaining the history of the Castle and a possible reason for Ludwig II demise that is not the state sponsored version you will get during the castle tour. On the bus ride the lunch menu is passed around if you want to purchase lunch at the restaurant on site. You pre-order and it saves time as there is not much of a wait to eat when the bike ride is finished. I would recommend the apple strudel. My wife and I did the bike ride and enjoyed the scenic views and beautiful country side. I chose to ride the alpine slide right after lunch. I then returned to watch the close up magic show by Brad. Brad has some very good sleight of hand tricks. He even slowed the trick down and we still could not figure out how it was done. The hike up the gorge is a bit strenuous and long but worth the view with a waterfall and other beautiful scenery. Mary's bridge is further up from the castle level but is where you will get the best picture of the castle. The castle tour is not very long due to the fact that the castle was not completed and so has fewer rooms to visit. Brad and Maike were very good tour guides. A trip to Neuschwanstein from Munich will take a whole day. This tour by far has the most options and can be customized to what you want to do. My wife and I had a great day!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Considering that the castle tour is less than an hour, Im very glad we did this tour. We dont usually do tours, prefer exploring by ourselves. But with the cost of renting a car, and based on reviews we saw for this tour, we decided to do this and are glad we did. The video about Ludwig's history and death was informative as well as entertaining. The bike ride and swim in the alpine lake were both fabulous and refreshing. The views were amazing. Brad and Maaike were very good, and patient too. We spent quite a bit of our time with Maaike and she was very sweet. The bike ride and swim definitely enhanced the experience, and I doubt our visit to the castle would have been as nice as all that if not for these 2 activities.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Because the castle has a 30 minute maximum touring limit, I would highly recommend seeing this site through "Mike's Bike Tours" to get more out of your trip. In this tour you will be able to hike next to a waterfall, swim in an alpine lake, ride down the alpine super slide, visit the castle, watch Brad perform magic, and of course participate in a casual bike ride through the town. You can also go paragliding and get the best view of the city at a discounted price of $149.

As for the tour guides, Brad and Mika were very knowledgable. On our bus ride to the town and throughout the tour they were explaining the history of Bavaria and pointing out fun facts that I would have missed if I hadn't taken this tour. Next time I'm in Munich, I will definitely be taking this tour again.