Drei Loewen Hotel
$464
$329
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewstrain stationmade to order omeletsmain stationhotel is locatedbig bathroomstrip clubexcellent locationrestaurants and shopsour night stayminute walkconvenient locationchristmas marketgreat showerlong weekendcold meatsreception deskmini bar
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This is a very beautiful hotel, although from outside it may not look like so. It has a charming reception area and rooms are large and very clean.

The hotel is located within walking distance from the Central Railway Station and Karlsplatz (where main shopping area starts). To me the area looked safe; there are lots of oriental stores and kebabs nearby.

The hotel doesn’t check in before 2pm so in case of an earlier arrival you need to waste some time walking. Check in was fast, the reception personnel was very kind. Reception area is very clean and elegant; there is also a PC desk for check in flight purpose.

The room is quite large and clean. The bathroom was large too (and white) and very important, it had a huge window which allowed shower steam to evacuate fast. We had no issue with the hot water.

TV in the room was fixed in the wall and had a flexible support so that it could be oriented to several positions.

There is also enough room into the wardrobe. The bed was very comfortable.

Breakfast area is very nice and elegant; there are TV screen on the walls. Breakfast was very tasty, although the same every morning.

All in all, there is a very good price – quality balance at Drei Loewen and I do recommend it for a pleasant stay in Munich. I really liked it!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cristi_Ionescu
Reviewed November 10, 2013

It's a good central hotel just 4 mins walk to Karlsplatz, the beginning of the pedestrian area. It's right next to the station and as one would expect it's not in a nice street, full of kebab take-aways, casinos and cash for gold shops but also full of hotels. Luckily hotel is right in the beginning of this street. Lobby and breakfast room are very nice and modern. Rooms are being refurbished. We had an old room which definitely needs refurbishing but it was spacious and comfortable. Very good breakfast!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Pro:
Close to train station
15 min walk to other tourist stuff
wifi good
Clean

Con :
Surrounded by casinos and strip clubs. Strange men kept coming up to me wanting to talk - made me very uncomfortable
Does not feel safe as woman traveling along

No safe in room

No kettle in room to heat water

Overall
Room small but clean
No frills except a very expensive minibar

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Occasionaltravelerdd
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is a good quality hotel just a few yards from Munich's main rail station and an easy stroll from the very centre of the city.

My single room was a bit small and short of storage space for a long stay, but made up for by a great bathroom. Both were immaculately clean. Despite having a room on the street side I didn't notice any real noise overnight and slept soundly.

The room rate was relatively high, by German standards, but not exorbitant. Staff were polite and efficient. A good hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank K0lya
Reviewed October 3, 2013

In summary, I was in the room merely to sleep for about 10 hrs time during an Oktoberfest inspired visit. For guests willing to pay a certain price point for comfort, an excellent location with respect to the Hauptbahnhof, City Center, and of course the Oktoberfest fairgrounds, I'd say give the hotel a shot. I was glad I did and I have no regrets because I like comfort and I've long since outgrown the 1-2 star hotel + hostel scene.

For starters the location cannot be beat for those having business in the city center. Don't let the cheeky casinos and strip clubs nearby dissuade you, the benefit of being just a half a block from the train station, the trams, and all that goes with the main train station (thinking lots of eating options) makes hotels in this district a compelling choice. Of course there are lots of hotels in this vicinity and I've reviewed a couple of them for that matter. The Drei Loewen is definitely the priciest of the three hotels I've stayed in around the Hauptbahnhof, but I believe the value is there provided you are in the market for a quiet hotel with appealing public spaces. This hotel is more than just a collection of beds for the weary and hungover.

THe woman at the front desk was very friendly when I checked in. My room wasn't ready because I arrived from my flight many hours before check-in. It was easy enough to leave my luggage and then duck into the mens room to change into attire for a day out at the Oktoberfest fairgrounds. Later in the evening, when I was in for the night, I found the room to be quite comfortable. The bathroom was even, dare I say, large by urban european standards. The wifi was included in my rate and the speed was OK for the most part. Room 409 was silent once I closed the windows that were left a bit ajar. However, I wouldn't say the room design was trendy or chic yet the decor was at a higher level than basic type hotels.

The lobby is nicely decorated as is the bar/restaurant area. It's obvious this hotel caters to a more upscale audience than many of the others hotels that populate this district. The hallways are nicely lit and everything about the hotel seems very clean and organized.

When it came time to check-out, being three minutes from the train station is indeed a great benefit. For those looking for a medium-upscale hotel selection in the city center, I think the higher price point is worth it for the raised level of comfort this hotel provides over its peers in the area.

Room Tip: Room 409 faced an inner courtyard. Very quiet room once the windows were closed.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo